Apple launches keyboard service program for 'small percentage' of MacBook, MacBook Pro own...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    AI_lias said:
    Would’ve been nice if they did this without thousands having to sign a petition. 
    How do you know the petition is what caused this? Maybe Apple was just building inventories before doing this replacement program? Its not like Apple just has hundreds of thousands of replacement top cases for the various MacBook lineup sitting in warehouses. 

This isn't really anything new. Apple has always done things this way. They're silent forever and then all of a sudden there's a replacement program available. This was EXACTLY how it was under Steve if someone wanted to go down that road. Happened constantly. 
    Apple wasn't building inventories as this isn't a pre-emptive repair programne. This repair (according to Apple) only affects a very small percentage of units and is dealt with as problems occur. It's not like the battery issue where you could check it's health. The only real difference with regards to keyboard problems until now is that Apple will supposedly show less resistance to repairing them.

On the communication question, this is what Apple has largely always done wrong. Silence.
    You or Apple can call it what you want... in the end, it's a repair program. Of course Apple is going to make it sound like it doesn't affect a large number of units. Anyway they can get something under the radar they will as would any company. 
  • Reply 42 of 83
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    I have frequent problems with dead or repeating keys on my Late 2016 15". Compressed air doesn't do any good, but a spanking does. I turn it over and whack the bottom case. That seems to dislodge whatever is causing the problem and restores the key function.

I have three concerns:

1. I can't imagine it's good for the computer to be constantly smacking it. Eventually something is going to work loose and leave me with a failure that is NOT covered by the special keyboard program.

2. Do I have to wait for a key to fail before taking it to Apple? Genius Bar appointments book a week ahead around here. That means having to put up with a stuck key for a week before I even get it evaluated, then however long it takes to actually perform the repair on top of that.

3. If all they do is replace the keyboard with another one of the same type, it isn't really solving the problem. Won't the new one exhibit exactly the same weakness?
    cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 83
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:
    Good for Apple for backing their product.  Again.  But:
    Not to be a cynic but, until Apple gets up to speed with other high end manufacturers...

In other words:   Thin, light & high performance are not the only factors most people look for in a laptop.  For example:  Toyota's became the #1 selling car due to their reputation as "bullet proof".  While I applaud Apple for their move, I think they have further yet to go...)

Oh my god dude...If you're so much in love with your China developed spy laptop then by all means go buy one. 
    Nice spin dude!
    But, those who prefer a rock solid dependable product call it:  "A better design"
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 83
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    AI_lias said:
    Would’ve been nice if they did this without thousands having to sign a petition. 
    How do you know the petition is what caused this? Maybe Apple was just building inventories before doing this replacement program? Its not like Apple just has hundreds of thousands of replacement top cases for the various MacBook lineup sitting in warehouses. 

This isn't really anything new. Apple has always done things this way. They're silent forever and then all of a sudden there's a replacement program available. This was EXACTLY how it was under Steve if someone wanted to go down that road. Happened constantly. 
    Apple wasn't building inventories as this isn't a pre-emptive repair programne. This repair (according to Apple) only affects a very small percentage of units and is dealt with as problems occur. It's not like the battery issue where you could check it's health. The only real difference with regards to keyboard problems until now is that Apple will supposedly show less resistance to repairing them.

On the communication question, this is what Apple has largely always done wrong. Silence.
    You or Apple can call it what you want... in the end, it's a repair program. Of course Apple is going to make it sound like it doesn't affect a large number of units. Anyway they can get something under the radar they will as would any company. 
    I think you're right with this. It seems like an attempt to play things down as there is nothing in what they've made available that points to anything specific as a cause for the problem.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 83
    mrcmrc Posts: 10member
    It angers me that Apple think it's an okay solution to simply replace with the same part for 4 years. It doesn't fix the problem, but simply delays it by 4 years, nothing more. My 2017 MacBook Pro 15 is basically a lemon, and Apple are still selling these things. Shame on you, Apple... you used to be synonymous with quality.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    How long does the repair take at an Apple store? Do they do it while you wait?
  • Reply 47 of 83
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    irnchriz said:
    From what I’m told is they send it out because the keyboard is attached the casing.

Even with just a small number or keyboard issues that seems like it would be costly enough to Apple to fix the keyboard or make it easier/cheaper to be replaced in-store.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Are the replacements going to be any more reliable?  I.e. a new version

Or, is it the exact same keyboard?
    That’s what I want to know. If it’s the exact same keyboard, then what’s the point?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 83
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Are the replacements going to be any more reliable?  I.e. a new version

Or, is it the exact same keyboard?
    We will have to see a tear-down of a repaired keyboard to know if it replaces one bad keyboard with potentially another.   

I imagine that there will be new MacBooks and MBPs soon with the keyboards fixed (talk about embarrassing if it isn't).
  • Reply 50 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    k2kw said:
    I imagine that there will be new MacBooks and MBPs soon with the keyboards fixed (talk about embarrassing if it isn't).
    I was going to say that this admission by Apple probably pushes back the release of the next generation of MacBooks by a few months.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Soli said:
    irnchriz said:
    From what I’m told is they send it out because the keyboard is attached the casing.

Even with just a small number or keyboard issues that seems like it would be costly enough to Apple to fix the keyboard or make it easier/cheaper to be replaced in-store.
    More than likely they will ship them out. It's a time consuming repair which requires the replacement of the top case.  Apple ships a lot of portables to repair centers which makes the cost the same as an in store repair. 
  • Reply 52 of 83
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    macxpress said:
    Good for Apple for backing their product.  Again.  But:
    Not to be a cynic but, until Apple gets up to speed with other high end manufacturers...

In other words:   Thin, light & high performance are not the only factors most people look for in a laptop.  For example:  Toyota's became the #1 selling car due to their reputation as "bullet proof".  While I applaud Apple for their move, I think they have further yet to go...)

Oh my god dude...If you're so much in love with your China developed spy laptop then by all means go buy one. 
    Nice spin dude!
    But, those who prefer a rock solid dependable product call it:  "A better design"
    Sure, "A better design" that has been more than a decade.

If you just go back in time, you will always find a OEM laptop with more USB port than any 17-inch MacBook Pro.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 53 of 83
    irnchriz said:
    Most Apple Stores don't do laptop repairs in the store. They almost always ship them out, but its pretty quick. They overnight them both ways and the repair usually only takes a day. So maybe 2-3 days turnaround which is pretty damn good considering it has to ship to Texas or something and then back to you. I think they will even give you the option to ship it back to your house instead of the Apple Store if I remember correctly (I could be wrong on that though). That way it comes back to you and you don't have to travel back there. 
  • Reply 54 of 83
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    AI_lias said:

I think you're right with this. It seems like an attempt to play things down as there is nothing in what they've made available that points to anything specific as a cause for the problem.
    That being said, I'm sure this will be spun around on all media sites that the keyboards are ALL defective instead of some. Anytime the media can say something negative about Apple they jump right on it. 
  • Reply 55 of 83
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    mrc said:
    It angers me that Apple think it's an okay solution to simply replace with the same part for 4 years. It doesn't fix the problem, but simply delays it by 4 years, nothing more. My 2017 MacBook Pro 15 is basically a lemon, and Apple are still selling these things. Shame on you, Apple... you used to be synonymous with quality.
    Well technically it's not a lemon, unless you have had at least 3 major repairs and have to have a 4th. Some states may have different requirements like CA, but most have the above guidelines for determining a lemon. 

Just so you know, just because Apple replaces the part and covers it for at least 90 days or the rest of your warranty, it doesn't let them off the hook. If you have had a computer repaired and you still have issues, you can ask Applecare to replace your computer. Just document everything and make sure you speak to a senior advisor. Be cordial to them, remember, they work for Apple and didn't have anything to do with the computers design or the program to repair the computer. If they feel that you have a compelling reason to replace the computer, they have the power to do so. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 83
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member

macxpress said:
    irnchriz said:
    Most Apple Stores don't do laptop repairs in the store. They almost always ship them out, but its pretty quick. They overnight them both ways and the repair usually only takes a day. So maybe 2-3 days turnaround which is pretty damn good considering it has to ship to Texas or something and then back to you. I think they will even give you the option to ship it back to your house instead of the Apple Store if I remember correctly (I could be wrong on that though). That way it comes back to you and you don't have to travel back there. 
    Yes that's accurate. The repair normally takes 3-5 days, depending on how many machines they have to fix and if they have a constrained part supply.   

You dont need to go to the store if you want the machine shipped out. You can call Applecare and they can overnight you a box with a prepaid label. That's what I did years ago when that was the only way to get a portable Mac fixed. 

• Reply 57 of 83
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    AI_lias said:

That being said, I'm sure this will be spun around on all media sites that the keyboards are ALL defective instead of some. Anytime the media can say something negative about Apple they jump right on it. 
    In a way, it IS kind of a case of all the butterfly keyboards being defective. The problem is not that some are coming off the line with problems, it's that the design makes every unit susceptible to failure caused by normal environmental conditions.
    mrcavon b7gatorguycgWerksmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 83
    mrc said:
    Well technically it's not a lemon, unless you have had at least 3 major repairs and have to have a 4th. Some states may have different requirements like CA, but most have the above guidelines for determining a lemon. 

Just so you know, just because Apple replaces the part and covers it for at least 90 days or the rest of your warranty, it doesn't let them off the hook. If you have had a computer repaired and you still have issues, you can ask Applecare to replace your computer. Just document everything and make sure you speak to a senior advisor. Be cordial to them, remember, they work for Apple and didn't have anything to do with the computers design or the program to repair the computer. If they feel that you have a compelling reason to replace the computer, they have the power to do so. 
    I'm already at the point where my whole computer has been replaced and this one has already developed the same sticky keys, repeating keys and non-responding keys problems. I'm past being nice and cordial. These are defective by design and Apple needs to take responsibility for that, not fob me off with constant 'repairs' for my $3000 investment in an Apple laptop. Not acceptable.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 59 of 83
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    In a way this is all the fault of the Mac Fan Boys rather than Apple.  (Yeh!  That's YOU!)

They pushed Apple to push the limits:  Thinner, Lighter, Faster.  So Apple responded with an ultra thin lightweight powerful machine.  But to do that they had to sacrifice durability and repairability,

Nobody complained until it became clear that Apple had taken their thin, light, fast mission perhaps a step too far.

For the most part, laptops have entered a mature phase of the life cycle where extraordinary advances are few and far between.  And instead, it is in a state of trade-offs where emphasizing one set of characteristics compromises a different set of characteristics and priorities.

As I have mentioned before, the Lenovo Thinkpad line prioritized reliability, dependability and repairability over thin and light (they're fast and powerful just like MacBooks though).   The damn things are built like tanks and come with a manual showing precisely how to replace and upgrade almost every component in the machine all the way down to the motherboard.  And the keyboards type like a dream and last forever -- and if they don't the user can replace it in about 15 minutes.  But, like a tank, they are thick and heavy and zero fun to carry around.

So, which is better:  Thinkpad or MacBook Pro?   The answer depends on your own personal priorities.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 83
    In a way this is all the fault of the Mac Fan Boys rather than Apple.  (Yeh!  That's YOU!)

They pushed Apple to push the limits:  Thinner, Lighter, Faster.  So Apple responded with an ultra thin lightweight powerful machine.  But to do that they had to sacrifice durability and repairability, 
    The obsession with making things thinner is purely Apple's own fascination, nobody else's.. Us 'Mac Fan Boys' simply want Apple to make Macs with today's technology, and not 5 years old like the laughable Mac Pro. It's ridiculous that such a rich and technologically advanced company as Apple should not be able to design and manufacture a reliable keyboard for a $3000 laptop. Stop making excuses for Apple. 
    cgWerks