Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Well...

that escalated quickly
    Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    That’s been pretty much par for the course in the whole Apple vs Android war though, hasn’t it? I don’t know anyone who would have been surprised by this news. Not paying for stuff is the main reason anyone would choose Android, as it is much easier to find non-licenced streams for tv shows, movies and sporting events, as well as pirated games and apps. If I was a developer looking to make a profit from my app or media product, I would certainly give the App Store priority. Having higher quality, better running apps is one of the perks of the Apple ecosystem, in my personal experience. 
    And techie boyz choose Android because they can “play” with it all day long, not because it’s more intuitive or easier to use. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    That’s been pretty much par for the course in the whole Apple vs Android war though, hasn’t it? I don’t know anyone who would have been surprised by this news. Not paying for stuff is the main reason anyone would choose Android, as it is much easier to find non-licenced streams for tv shows, movies and sporting events, as well as pirated games and apps. If I was a developer looking to make a profit from my app or media product, I would certainly give the App Store priority. Having higher quality, better running apps is one of the perks of the Apple ecosystem, in my personal experience. 
    And techie boyz choose Android because they can “play” with it all day long, not because it’s more intuitive or easier to use. 
    techie boyz are a tiny percentage of the market. Lot of tech heads like the Mac.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Nothing new about this report.

if I ever develop an app I will skip Android all together. 
    claire1
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

I don't recall any app/ game being promoted as much as Super Mario Run. If I recall correctly, there were also kiosks set up in Apple Stores to play the game.

With all of that, $60m in 20+ months seems a little low. Especially when considering that the other one - Fortnite, generated $100m in 90 days via in-app purchases.

Personally, I love the price of Super Mario Run. For the amazing graphics and the iconic character(s), it seems like a fair price. And kudos to Nintendo for not going down the cheap in-app purchases route.

Many people don't want to fork out $10 for a Smartphone game.   Fortnight, on the other hand, is running on PC's, Xbox and PlayStation, and Switch along with now Smartphones.   So basically the biggest target market, GAMERS!!!   Game Consoles where you're normally paying $60 a game.    Super Mario Run is on iOS and Android ONLY.  A game platform for casual gamers that are used to FREEMIUM and 99 cent games.   So the 2 are not the same at all.   For a Smartphone ONLY game, Super Mario Run has done really well.  
  • Reply 26 of 34
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
     If I was a developer looking to make a profit from my app or media product, I would certainly give the App Store priority.
    The chances that one develops a profitable app is very low.  

As an owner of an app develop company I can say that much wiser to maximize your revenue by making a profitable app available on both platforms, then to try a new idea that has a big chance to fail commercially.

edited July 2018
  • Reply 27 of 34
    And yet Apple ignores gaming on Macs...
    The PC gaming market raked in 30 billion dollars to the game studios in 2017.

The Appstore brought 60 billion to Apple.

If Apple gets serious about games they will need a very long time and a lot of dedication until it reaches 30 billion revenue FOR Apple.

they need to focus on AR witch is the next big thing.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perhaps one day Nintendo will realize the value of their company is in the software, not the hardware.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    lkrupp said:

That's what they all claim. The reality is most never do any modding at all. Of all the Android users at work, I've never seen any of them bother to customize their home screen, beyond picking a wallpaper. They use their phones the same as iPhone users do.

Remember when Windows came out with themes and widgets? How many PC screens do you look at that are fully customized and populated with widgets?
    Alex1Nflashfan207
  • Reply 30 of 34
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cropr said:
     If I was a developer looking to make a profit from my app or media product, I would certainly give the App Store priority.
    The chances that one develops a profitable app is very low.  

As an owner of an app develop company I can say that much wiser to maximize your revenue by making a profitable app available on both platforms, then to try a new idea that has a big chance to fail commercially.

Unless you’re using a cross platform dev environment (Unity, Mono, etc) then it’s cheaper and easier to just target iOS than to do multi-platform as a single dev and test on a multitude of Android devices.  Just testing on iOS devices is a lot for a single dev.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:
    I was thinking, if Apple gives developers a bigger share for exclusives would that be good?
    Example: Non-exclusive content gets %30, exclusive content gets %40.
    Apple gives developers 70. Do you mean they’d get 80 for exclusives?
    I thought developers got 30%? But my idea was what IF developers got an extra 10%? Wouldn't that help both Apple and developers?
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 32 of 34
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    The funny part is these boyz don't actually understand tech.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    jbdragon said:

I don't recall any app/ game being promoted as much as Super Mario Run. If I recall correctly, there were also kiosks set up in Apple Stores to play the game.

With all of that, $60m in 20+ months seems a little low. Especially when considering that the other one - Fortnite, generated $100m in 90 days via in-app purchases.

Personally, I love the price of Super Mario Run. For the amazing graphics and the iconic character(s), it seems like a fair price. And kudos to Nintendo for not going down the cheap in-app purchases route.

Many people don't want to fork out $10 for a Smartphone game.   Fortnight, on the other hand, is running on PC's, Xbox and PlayStation, and Switch along with now Smartphones.   So basically the biggest target market, GAMERS!!!   Game Consoles where you're normally paying $60 a game.    Super Mario Run is on iOS and Android ONLY.  A game platform for casual gamers that are used to FREEMIUM and 99 cent games.   So the 2 are not the same at all.   For a Smartphone ONLY game, Super Mario Run has done really well.  

Thanks for the info. I missed the fact that Fortnite was on all consoles. I thought it was a mobile game only release.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    More interesting was the fact that it was covered up. Variety wrote it up as "Apple and Google," which is how all news is reported. That's partly why there is such delusion in what's going on because the only facts to be reported is "Android is bigger," "Google is flawless and Apple has problems," and "Apple and Google earn shared revenues."

Since nobody else prints this stuff, it's my niche and I have two middle fingers for anyone who wants to tell me I can't tell the truth. 😂
    So true. It’s not so much that I’m an Apple fanboy, as I am constantly attempting to correct the mistruths being spread by the media and general public. The misunderstanding of what Apple devices are capable of, even by Apple users, often astonishes me. Conversely, what Fandroids claim are superior traits of Google’s operating system and falsely declaring that “iPhones can’t do that,” frustrates me sometimes. 

Out of curiosity, where do you tell the truth? You mean just generally in conversation, or is there a blog or public forum somewhere? Besides websites like this, where can we go?