Apple issues second public beta of iOS 12 [u: tvOS 12 also available]

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2018
Apple has released the second public beta for iOS 12, providing testers willing to try out the next-generation iPhone and iPad operating system on their devices ahead of this fall's launch.

Arriving a week and a half after the first public beta, the second beta is available to download from the Apple Beta Software Program website by users enrolled into the testing scheme. Users need to log into the beta site using the device they wish to use for testing, then download the configuration file for iOS 12 before it is downloaded and installed.

Functionally, the beta is similar to the latest developer beta released earlier this week. This includes fixes to the GPS and CarPlay disconnection bugs which were present in earlier beta builds.

Following announced plans to improve the Maps app with first-party data gathered by Apple Maps vans instead of third-parties, users based in the San Francisco Bay Area are able to see some of the improvements for themselves before the rest of the world in the latest release. Maps provides more data to users in the beta than in the current public version of the app, with the changes expected to be built out throughout California before expanding to the rest of the U.S. next year.

In the Messages app, there are new sticker options for Activities. Appearing for everyone, rather than being unlocked or earned, the stickers could potentially be used when communicating with others about workouts or other fitness activities.

These changes and others accompany the rest of other enhancements arriving in iOS 12 later this year. The list includes new Siri Shortcuts, Screen Time, updates to Do Not Disturb functions, overhauled first-party apps, and general performance boosts, among other alterations.

As with any beta release, Apple iOS 12 and others are not necessarily stable enough for everyday use, and AppleInsider advises not to install such software onto mission-critical hardware. Due to the potential for data loss, backups are highly recommended before attempting to install the public beta.

Update: Apple on Thursday also seeded the second public beta of tvOS 12 to members of the program. According to AppleInsider reader Richard, the latest release carried the build number 16J5313d.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    So far it’s been a very stable beta release. Only issue so far is the Sheetz App is not opening up from the home screen. All other apps on my 8 Plus are working normally.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jbajba Posts: 5member
    i very much enjoyed beta for ios 11.  it appeared apple was vigilant with continual updates to make fixes and address bugs.  that's why i was so disappointed that, out of the gate, ios 12 beta had a _major_ issue relating to manual sync of pictures (and folders) via iTunes.  all my photos on my iphone were deleted upon upgrade to ios 12 beta.  but, when i launched iTunes to do a manual sync of pictures ("locate folder" method) _none_ of my photos or videos from my macbook pro would load to the iphone.  to make matters worse, i submitted the issue via the "feedback" app and never got a response and the issue never got fixed.  total bummer.  back to ios 11 for me (sad face).
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jba said:
    i very much enjoyed beta for ios 11.  it appeared apple was vigilant with continual updates to make fixes and address bugs.  that's why i was so disappointed that, out of the gate, ios 12 beta had a _major_ issue relating to manual sync of pictures (and folders) via iTunes.  all my photos on my iphone were deleted upon upgrade to ios 12 beta.  but, when i launched iTunes to do a manual sync of pictures ("locate folder" method) _none_ of my photos or videos from my macbook pro would load to the iphone.  to make matters worse, i submitted the issue via the "feedback" app and never got a response and the issue never got fixed.  total bummer.  back to ios 11 for me (sad face).
    Are you sure it wasn't the bug where just the FOLDERS didn't appear (you could still find the photos by searching).

Regardless, it's now fixed in this Beta. My folders from my manual sync via iTunes are back. Happy about that!
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 4 of 6
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    I guess I understand why every article about the iOS beta includes a dire warning about not running it on your primary device, but it's actually been incredibly stable. Sure there are a couple of bugs, but nothing that interferes with the basic functionality of the device. Anyone who wants it should get it and run it, and not worry about it. Just do an iTunes backup and archive it first.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mushmashmushmash Posts: 24member
    It’s been kinda buggy, at least for everyday use, but it’s still very early in the beta-phase, so I guess I shouldn’t expect anything else.

Hopefully PB 2 addresses some of the most annoying bugs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    So Apple, WHERE is the ability to add my OWN aerial screensavers from a drone or other source on tvOS?!  Why do I have to be limited to Apple's canned content?  Where is the user input option?  *rolls eyes*
    edited July 2018