Steve Jobs, Theranos' Elizabeth Holmes, and when the 'reality distortion field' fails

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Steve Jobs

" ....great artists steal"
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 64
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    Steve Jobs

Ideas, not money outright. 

Holmes had nothing to steal, so the next best thing was fraud. 

It was vaporware and she got busted. 

She'll go to jail for a bit, but I'm sure she has squirreled away a few million for when she gets out. 

• Reply 23 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mcdave said:
    All power to women but sometimes feminism just seems so desperate.
    What the fuck does equal rights for women have to do with this story and what about equality seems desperate to you?
    edited July 2018 fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Let me tell ya...what Theranos did was disgrace. They falsified data at the beginning to get investment money so they can buy time to develop the product “Edison” or later on called “MiniLab” which is different only by that outside cover (Edison was white/black). The technology is there but  ow is not  the time yet since there is no fcking detector in the world is sensitive enough to detect that little amount of blood from finger picks! Not only that, the damn vessels filled with reagents to mix with blood samples were to small. If you tilt the cartridge contained hundreds of vessels prefilled with reagents, the liquid could stick on the side of the vessels and would never mix with blood samples. That’s only hardware design. I’m not talking about software and assay integration parts yet. The whole thing was fcking mess. How do I know that? I have been working for Theranos in the last 2 years trying to help fixing the issues. Too bad...technology is not ready yet. Until hardware companies can create sensors and detectors that sensitive enough for nano-blood tests, this is just a myth!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mcdave said:
    The fuck is that supposed to mean?
    opa karlStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 64
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    zoetmb said:
    Steve may have had his issues and he did tell a few lies and say a few faux pas along the way ("you're holding it wrong"), but to compare Holmes to Jobs I think is really unfair to Jobs.    Jobs created an immensely successful company with great products that everyone loved.   The first Mac, although very underpowered, was far more a success than a blood testing machine that didn't and couldn't work.   And with the possible exception of those back-dated shares,  Apple never committed fraud.   

Jobs may have had a very big ego, but I believe that Holmes is a psychotic.    Copying the way that Jobs dressed is just one sign. What does dressing like Jobs have to do with running a successful company?   I'm surprised she didn't shave her head to match Steve's baldness. 

Just having a great idea isn't enough.  You have to be able to execute.   I can, for example, imagine what the perfect home healthcare robot would be like.  That doesn't mean I could create a company or the technology that would produce them.   
    You'd be surprised what the iKnockoff executives do too. I've seen them use Steve's words and phrases. Google does this also. Not even the current Apple CEO who was a best friend of Jobs' tries to be like him.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Steve Jobs

It's not fair to just take a snippet out of what Steve Jobs actually said, as it only serves to distort the whole meaning of what Steve Jobs meant. 

Here's what Steve Jobs said in its entirety. 

"Ultimately it comes down to taste. It comes down to trying to expose yourself to the best things that humans have done and then try to bring those things in to what you’re doing. I mean Picasso had a saying, he said good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
    edited July 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mcdave said:
     No, what is desperate is your attempt to devalue women because of one individual. 

opa karlStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mcdave said:
    Yeh, the successful women I have known in business (and there have been many) worked from their own strengths and commitment without regard for either femininity or masculinity and without trying to be something they weren't.  They were simply being themselves doing their best and giving their all.  

But, since men are historically at the top of the business pyramid, many try to emulate their style and end up as mediocre also-ran's -- at best.

I have never known a successful person in business male or female who wasn't true to themselves and genuine.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    To understand Steve Jobs, one has to understand the Aspergian brain.   The one that Hans Asperger described as his "Little Professors" -- Aspergians tend to think through things on their own instead of accepting conventional wisdom, convention and authority.   And, the core of that is to start from the inside (the product) and let everything else evolve from there.

For example:   Steve is commonly described as a masterful presenter.   He wasn't.   If you gave him a Walkman to present he would have fallen flat.   But instead, he started from a great product that he was immensely proud of -- and his presentation evolved from that base.   The presentation was genuine because it grew out of genuine pride in a genuine product.  It was all completely genuine.

It's hard to truly understand Jobs without understanding Asperger's.  It's even harder to emulate him.   And, any attempt is like putting on a Steve Job's costume at Halloween.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Was anyone else disappointed that this article wasn't about Thanos?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mcdave said:
    Don’t do conditionals like that. The world is a much simpler place.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I remember the media being the ones hyping this fraudster, saying how she was the next coming.  Total BS. Do you hear any of those people apologizing?  No.  I didn't give a crap about her back then, and I still don't today.  

Amazing how the media and Wall Street get away with the telling of blatant lies and propaganda and no one of any authority calls them out.  She should have never have gotten as far as she did with what was essentially a vaporware product.

To even remotely imply that she was in the same league worthy of the "next Steve Jobs" was insulting to the real Steve Jobs.
    tallest skilfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 64
    sflocal said:
    Amazing how the media and Wall Street get away with the telling of blatant lies and propaganda and no one of any authority calls them out.
    Almost as though the people of “authority” are owned by the same groups that own the media and Wall Street or something…
    mcdave
  • Reply 35 of 64
    mindfulsidemindfulside Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    People need to learn more about psychopaths and how to spot them (and understand how they work), because Elizabeth Holmes is a massive one and it's one of the lessons from this case not being taught very much. This ONE person and her behaviour because of her brain configuration, is what caused all this bullshit. People are so clueless.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 64
    opa karlopa karl Posts: 19member
    Great reporting; now I don't have to buy the book.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 64
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Soli said:
    mcdave said:
    What the fuck does equal rights for women have to do with this story and what about equality seems desperate to you?
    WTF does Feminism have to do with equality?  It’s just a different flavour of sexism.
    edited July 2018 tallest skilGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 64
    mcdave said:
    Soli said:
    mcdave said:
    WTF does Feminism have to do with equality?  It’s just a different flavour of sexism.
    Look at a fucking dictionary for Christ's sake!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Soli said:
    I see the words ‘equality’ and ‘egalitarianism’ there. You’re wrong, both by definition and by history, and this isn’t the thread for this nonsense.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Soli said:
    I see the words ‘equality’ and ‘egalitarianism’ there. You’re wrong, both by definition and by history, and this isn’t the thread for this nonsense.
    So you see advocacy for “equality” of the sexes in a definition that was coined in the current sense more than half a century before the 19th Amendment was even ratified in the US yet you still see ”equality“ for women as being unfair? How fucking insecure must you be that you’re threatened by women having equal rights? Shameful.

StrangeDaysfastasleep