Apple's Siri, Machine Learning teams now under control of new hire John Giannandrea [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Good, I’m glad Siri was moved under him. Hopefully there’s a Siri 2.0 project going on at the company similar to what they’re doing with maps.
    This gives me hope. I shudder to think Siri was under Eddie Cue at one point. 
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Can Siri even correctly pronounce his name right now? :p  I have a “German” surname fairly common among Americans and it can’t even get that right.
    I'll be impressed when Siri gets street names containing water correctly.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    matrix077 said:
    Good, I’m glad Siri was moved under him. Hopefully there’s a Siri 2.0 project going on at the company similar to what they’re doing with maps.
    This gives me hope. I shudder to think Siri was under Eddie Cue at one point. 
    Folio said:
    Who was heading it up before? Cue?
    Initially it was a subset under Cue. Then went under Federighi, still a subset of his portfolio. So kicking Siri/ML under its own “czar” w direct line to Tim Cook is big. very good news!

I read somewhere that top AI talent didn’t want to work at Apple because they didn’t want to be just another group/division within software engineering or services. Now that AI has its own leader reporting directly to Tim Cook hopefully Apple can start attracting top not people in this field.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    stuke said:
    First order of business, fix Siri so the response isn't (ALWAYS) "Here's what I found on the web for ..."  I could have gone to the web, searched Google, and found it out myself, dear Siri.  I just want you to answer it form me, audibly.
    I find I prefer going to the web so that I can just do the first search and then change it if I want.   SIRI is an unnecessary hinderance.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    stuke said:
    First order of business, fix Siri so the response isn't (ALWAYS) "Here's what I found on the web for ..."  I could have gone to the web, searched Google, and found it out myself, dear Siri.  I just want you to answer it form me, audibly.
    As I said in another thread yesterday, now I have Google Assistant and Amazon's Alexa on my iPhone as well as Siri  I was finally able to sit for over an hour asking the same questions of all three.  The difference between them is very small.  Siri is not miles behind as so many state.  None of them are as good as we intuitively expect them to be (too many sci-fi movies I suspect).  This new appointment and the ability add chained event scripts should between them make a huge difference in the coming year I feel and Siri become more and more useful.  

The other misleading expectation out there, especially after Google's dog and pony, or is that smoke and mirror show ... is the very advanced AI systems that act and sound like real humans to book rooms in hotels etc..  Don't be fooled, these are localized AI not distributed AI, i.e. they have massive computing power in house or at least on a corporate network.  They are not serving millions of iPhone or Android cell phones. We are quite a ways off having that sort of AI available across so many users.  

However if Apple can move to edge computing as an assist for their AI using installed Apple's robust networked eco systems, say utilizing HomePods or some other new localized computer hub (or perhaps even distributed computing) I think we could see a huge leap forward in Siri's prowess at least on our own LANs.  

That all said I'd still like to be able to rename my various devices AI.
    edited July 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    This is perhaps the most important thing happening at Apple right now.   They need to work towards the day that AI technologies are a core part of the operating system.   If they dont someone else will and then it will be all over for Apple.  Right now the whole concept of Siri and the trips taken to Apple servers is a bit of a joke.  
    Remember when people said their computer design decisions would be the end of Apple? And remember when people said their mobile phone design decisions would be the end of Apple? Yeah. Now the new DOOM is AI. Any year now...Apple is toast. Somebody else is gonna just eat their lunch with awesome sauce. So sad...somebody ought to let Cook know what’s coming. Poor guy. 
    Your attitude in this post sucks.    In any event if you look around you will see a lot of disenfranchised Apple users when it comes to hardware.    They ahve basically sunk sales in the new MBP, Mini, Mac Pro and the iMac via their design and marketing decisions.

It isn't a question of doom (something I never said) it is all about Apple having to invest in AI to remain viable.   If you don't want to beleive in the importnace of AI and related technologies that is your right but I see it as a critical technology Apple has to master.
    He shouldn't attack Tim for sure, Apple is just humming along nicely IMHO.  That said, when I look around I see quite the opposite to you, Macs wall to wall in airports, restaurants and on TV. In fact the few PCs I see out there look like exact copies of Apple designs! 
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    wizard69 said:
    Right now the whole concept of Siri and the trips taken to Apple servers is a bit of a joke.  
    Don’t all the digital assistants require an internet connection to work? I have no idea the size of the database and processing required to know how feasible it is to do any of it on device. Do you?
    No. The presence of an NPU gives you advantages. Obviously there are things that require an internet connection (for up to date information at the very least) but the Kirin970 design for example presents the first steps in improving latency and privacy by doing some things onboard (image recognition and text translation for example). Then there are lesser options that take into account onboard sensor information and make sense of it in a natural way. For example by not rotating screen orientation of the phone if it is horizontal and the user is also horizontal. Reading in bed etc. Or providing a torch option on the lockscreen if the phone is in a darkened environment. Showing boarding passes while in airports etc.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 28 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mattinoz said:
    Can Siri even correctly pronounce his name right now? :p  I have a “German” surname fairly common among Americans and it can’t even get that right.
    I'll be impressed when Siri gets street names containing water correctly.
    You mean like “Watercress” or like “Agua Caliente”?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    This is perhaps the most important thing happening at Apple right now.   They need to work towards the day that AI technologies are a core part of the operating system.   If they dont someone else will and then it will be all over for Apple.  Right now the whole concept of Siri and the trips taken to Apple servers is a bit of a joke.  
    Remember when people said their computer design decisions would be the end of Apple? And remember when people said their mobile phone design decisions would be the end of Apple? Yeah. Now the new DOOM is AI. Any year now...Apple is toast. Somebody else is gonna just eat their lunch with awesome sauce. So sad...somebody ought to let Cook know what’s coming. Poor guy. 
    Your attitude in this post sucks.    In any event if you look around you will see a lot of disenfranchised Apple users when it comes to hardware.    They ahve basically sunk sales in the new MBP, Mini, Mac Pro and the iMac via their design and marketing decisions.

It isn't a question of doom (something I never said) it is all about Apple having to invest in AI to remain viable.   If you don't want to beleive in the importnace of AI and related technologies that is your right but I see it as a critical technology Apple has to master.
    My attitude sucks, because I’m critiquing your critique? Ok, nice logic there, fella. 

“it will be all over for Apple” — now again are you claiming you never warned of DOOM? You just said exactly that. Where before people said Apple was doomed because of their computers, then their keyboardless cell, now it’s AI... Always doom, always down the line. Hilarious. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    MacPro said:

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:

He shouldn't attack Tim for sure, Apple is just humming along nicely IMHO.  That said, when I look around I see quite the opposite to you, Macs wall to wall in airports, restaurants and on TV. In fact the few PCs I see out there look like exact copies of Apple designs! 
    Uh, I didn’t attack Cook. I used sarcasm to make the point that his DOOM talk is absurd. Do you guys understand what sarcasm is?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:

Uh, I didn’t attack Cook. I used sarcasm to make the point that his DOOM talk is absurd. Do you guys understand what sarcasm is?
    Sarcasm? No, we've never heard of that... Ever. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    MacPro said:

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:

My bad, but I was mainly disagreeing with the poster not his references to your post.
    edited July 2018