Now-fixed Apple code crashed iOS devices when users typed 'Taiwan'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    tylerd said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    ascii said:
    If the Chinese people ever overthrow the CCP and establish a democracy, what are they going to think of the American companies who helped censor them when the communists were in power? Would Apple ever sell an iPhone there again?
    History has an unfortunately short memory.  Most Americans or citizens of other western countries don't have a moral objection to buying products from VW, BMW, Hugo Boss, Siemens, or other multinational companies who were 100% complicit in the Holocaust by benefiting form slave labor provided by concentration camps or even outright support of the 3rd Reich.  There are lots of other companies who benefitted from the war effort in Germany (government contracts and reduction of comeptition) that weren't so culpable as well, but I guess there is no need to go further with the point.  So, I would not expect that most Chinese consumers would boycott American products if communism were ever to fall in China. 
    While I understand your point, it's unfair to compare complying to censorship laws to supporting (or being complicit to) Nazism. 

Apple obeys the laws in all of the countries in which it operates. U.S. laws, Chinese laws, Korean laws, EU laws, and on and on. They operate exactly the same as Samsung, Microsoft, and other tech giants (these others do not get the same publicity, but look for the NYT app on an Android phone while in China). These companies may not like some of the laws, however they are compelled to abide by them. 

That is exactly the point I'm making.  If the collective consumer consciousness can forget about the explicit and complicit support a company gave to a morally bankrupt government who committed unspeakable atrocities en masse, I guess they won't even shrug about buying products from a company who "only followed the laws" of a country that they were operating in, which though might been seen as oppressive, are certainly a far cry from Nazism.

• Reply 22 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tzeshan said:
    You are an ultra right wing white American man.  Do I guess right completely? Very selfish with no more values. What you uphold is not moral at all. Read what Jesus said. You are not a real Christian. 
    That’s not only totally out of nowhere with nothing to substantiate it, I’d say it’s quite obviously wrong, given volcan’s history.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

tzeshan said:
    You are an ultra right wing white American man.  Do I guess right completely? Very selfish with no more values. What you uphold is not moral at all. Read what Jesus said. You are not a real Christian. 
    Nope you guess completely wrong. I'm an ultra liberal latino and an atheist.
    edited July 2018