iPhone survives 1,000-foot plummet out of a plane, located by owner with 'Find my iPhone'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    DAalseth said:
    I wonder what the terminal velocity of an iPhone is? You should be able to determine this with a vertical wind tunnel without risking the phone. Do they still do Science Fair projects in school? This would be perfect for a high school student wanting to go to college for Physics or Aeronautics.
    You can make some estimates using the best and worse scenario cases, but there are some unknowns, like cross sectional area or drag coefficient.

Here's a simple online calc if you're up to the challenge:

Or, you can just look at the results from this 2011 article on the iPhone 4:

• Reply 22 of 58
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,452member
    Soli said:
    DAalseth said:
    I wonder what the terminal velocity of an iPhone is? You should be able to determine this with a vertical wind tunnel without risking the phone. Do they still do Science Fair projects in school? This would be perfect for a high school student wanting to go to college for Physics or Aeronautics.
    You can make some estimates using the best and worse scenario cases, but there are some unknowns, like cross sectional area or drag coefficient.

Vortex shedding would add even further complexity, likely tumbling the iPhone. I would be interested to see an actual test with the video camera active! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    "tall grass saves the day, gently slowing 1000 foot fall"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macgui said:
    "I literally went into shock"

No, you didn't. And no, you don't know what literally means.

Landing on grass, in tall grass, helped big time. On concrete or asphalt, it would have been upgrade time.  I don't know if the pic is of the actual phone, but a case would possibly have helped some.

She slipped the surly bonds of earth, put out her hand and touched the face of God.

And He slapped the phone out of her hand for trying to take a selfie with Him.

A sense of humor indeed. 

Well, at some point atmospheric friction would have kicked in and slowed down the acceleration. Falling 1000 feet doesn’t mean the iPhone would have hit the ground at 200mph or so. It may have survived a more solid surface landing but falling on high grass sure did help.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    How much I like the story, just as questionable it remains. Finding the device back in tall grass is far more improbable than the thing being undamaged. Try searching in high grass after a FindmyiPhone hit - with the granularity close to a tennis court size.
    I assume it that can’t be repeated - so it’s hard to determine the chance of success.
    edited July 2018 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 26 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,797member
    Wow, true or not,  Gatorguy hasn't chimed in yet to deflection from a good feel Apple story with how good all electronics are these days story with link like he did with the under water iPhone story.  Google will not be happy with him.
    edited July 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Soli said:
    DAalseth said:

How about it landed in a think layer of moss?  ;)
    radarthekat
  • Reply 28 of 58

lkrupp said:
    macgui said:

Landing on grass, in tall grass, helped big time. On concrete or asphalt, it would have been upgrade time.  I don't know if the pic is of the actual phone, but a case would possibly have helped some.

She slipped the surly bonds of earth, put out her hand and touched the face of God.

A sense of humor indeed. 

Well, at some point atmospheric friction would have kicked in and slowed down the acceleration. Falling 1000 feet doesn’t mean the iPhone would have hit the ground at 200mph or so. It may have survived a more solid surface landing but falling on high grass sure did help.
    Terminal velocity is a well know fact.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 58
    MacPro said:

lkrupp said:
    macgui said:

A sense of humor indeed. 

Terminal velocity is a well know fact.
    I’m what regard? I doubt I could give a more than a rudimentary, layman’s definition of the term, and I certainly don’t have a clue of the equation used to determine the terminal velocity of a given object’s mass in a given orientation.

From a 2011 Wired article:
    Using that value for C and the bigger area (the screen side), I get a terminal velocity of 12.2 m/s or 27.2 mph. Just for fun, what if it was falling with it’s smallest edge downward, this would give a terminal velocity of 42.8 m/s (95 mph). I suspect it would be closer to the flat-side terminal velocity (maybe around 20 m/s).

edited July 2018
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Soli said:

I’m what regard? I doubt I could give a more than a rudimentary, layman’s definition of the term, and I certainly don’t have a clue of the equation used to determine the terminal velocity of a given object’s mass in a given orientation.

But you've shown a good understanding of it, simply by your ability to point out those variables.  You don't have to know the equations to understand the concept.
    (Though I'm not certain that "most" people understand the concept. )
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    3GS_is-me said:
    raymondai said:
    My 26 months old daughter play my iPhone 6 for over a year, and the phone still work, as I type this comment by it, this is a real miracle.
    Give a Samsumg to a 12 -24 mths baby, you will realize how tough the iPhone is :DDD 
    Guess it’s too hard to say your 2 year old... no one cares about the months.. 
    Except doctors, surgeons, dentists, nurses, teachers, social workers, opticians, child psychologists, nutrionists …
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Latko said:
    How much I like the story, just as questionable it remains. Finding the device back in tall grass is far more improbable than the thing being undamaged. Try searching in high grass after a FindmyiPhone hit - with the granularity close to a tennis court size.
    I assume it that can’t be repeated - so it’s hard to determine the chance of success.

Step 1: use FindMyPhone to find your phone. If you still can’t see it for some reason then proceed to Step 2

Step 2: use FindMyPhone to remotely set off the phone’s pinging sound. 

Is that picture the actual phone? If so the grass isn’t that long, and the phone looks like it’s wearing a decent case with impact resistant corners. I dropped my old phone from sofa height onto a wooden floor. Unfortunately it landed on the edge and that was enough to crack the screen. 

edited July 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Have it fall on concrete, and then we'll talk.  Falling on tall grass might have well been a gigantic pillowcase.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Soli said:

But you've shown a good understanding of it, simply by your ability to point out those variables.  You don't have to know the equations to understand the concept.
    Thanks, but I honestly can't be sure my definition would've sounded as perspicuous if I hadn't earlier did a bit a research into the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow terminal velocity of an iPhone.

edited July 2018
  • Reply 35 of 58
    MacPro said:
    Wow, true or not,  Gatorguy hasn't chimed in yet to deflection from a good feel Apple story with how good all electronics are these days story with link like he did with the under water iPhone story.  Google will not be happy with him.
    Heard he was ordered back to GooglePlex 765 Sublevel 9 for “corrective training”. 

Last seen walking the corridors in a red dress and a wimple. 

He will return. Blessed Day. 

edited July 2018 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,891moderator
    Soli said:

It’s simply the point where the air resistance acting upon the falling object equals the gravitational force acting upon it.  That’s when the object no longer accelerates, its speed levels off and becomes constant.

But terminal velocity is rarely ever constant, or never, depending upon how deep you want to examine things.  An object typically tumbles and shifts in the air as it falls, and therefore it can speed up to a higher terminal velocity or slow to a lower one as its aspect relative to the predominant gravitational source is altered.  And then there’s air density varying by altitude.  Even if a stably oriented object reaches a stable terminal velocity the change in atmospheric pressure as it nears the earth would alter its terminal velocity calculation. And then there’s the curvature of space-time and how each object’s mass alters its path through space-time, thus the curvature of its path is ever so slightly constantly altered by itself and its proximity to the giant mass of earth/whatever other body is around.  It goes deep with math beyond here...
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 37 of 58
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 172member
    sflocal said:
    Have it fall on concrete, and then we'll talk.  Falling on tall grass might have well been a gigantic pillowcase.
    Jump out of said airplane and see how well that grass acts as a pillow (not sure how cushioning the case of a pillow is).  Obviously grass-covered ground is much softer than concrete or asfault, but it is still impressive that an iPhone can survive this type of fall onto any hard surface.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 172member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Thanks, but I honestly can't be sure my definition would've sounded as perspicuous if I hadn't earlier did a bit a research into the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow terminal velocity of an iPhone.

African or European?  You have to be precise with calculations such as these as all of the airmchair engineers already pointed out.
    /s
    edited July 2018 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 39 of 58
    raymondai said:
    My 26 months old daughter play my iPhone 6 for over a year, and the phone still work, as I type this comment by it, this is a real miracle.
    Give a Samsumg to a 12 -24 mths baby, you will realize how tough the iPhone is :DDD 
    There's a Galaxy S5 that fell from a plane and continued recording the whole way down in case you're curious how a Samsung would handle a fall. In the hands of a child though, well my wife's old Samsung had the screen shattered by our daughter earlier this year. She now has an iPhone (my wife, not the daughter) so let's see how long that lasts.
    raymondai
  • Reply 40 of 58
    3GS_is-me said:
    raymondai said:
    Guess it’s too hard to say your 2 year old... no one cares about the months.. 
    The difference between a child at 24 months and 35 months is greater than the difference between an adult at 24 and 35 years. At that age, yes, months do matter.