Apple's App Store doubles Google Play revenue with only half the downloads, study finds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    supadav03 said:
    Same story we been hearing. It’s not surprising anymore. If anything, it’s expected now. 
    Yeah, well, you try and convince @Gatorguy. He’ll be along shortly to defend Google’s app store and tell us how it is actually better and more profitable than Apple's store.
    You've maybe confused me with other posters who sometimes make stuff up just to push an agenda. ;)
    No he wasn't.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

lkrupp said:
    supadav03 said:
    Same story we been hearing. It’s not surprising anymore. If anything, it’s expected now. 
    Yeah, well, you try and convince @Gatorguy. He’ll be along shortly to defend Google’s app store and tell us how it is actually better and more profitable than Apple's store.
    And you were right.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:
    This is why the devs always come out with the iOS version of an app before they come out with the Android version, and lots of them never even bother to make an Android version.

And the iOS version is always much better quality than the Android version.

Android cannot survive much longer. They tried to kill the iPhone, but they failed.
    You need to dig a little deeper. The article deliberately played down the bigger issue and as a result only used the word Android once.

That should have put you on alert.

However, you jumped in and used it four times in three very short paragraphs!

This piece isn't really about Android. It is about the Google Play store. When it says the Google Play Store isn't available in China but the App Store is, didn't it occur to you that removing China from any smartphone tally would seriously distort the numbers?

The linked article only compares Google's and Apple's stores. It doesn't compare Android with iOS in any meaningful way.

In 2016, non-Play Store Android app revenue was sitting at 10 billion dollars. In 2017 it was expected to double and combined Android app at revenues were expected to surpass Apple App Store revenue:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/

Now, I don't know the figures for the first half of 2018 for combined Android app store revenue nor the Apple figures without the China numbers but if you want a meaningful platform comparison, the numbers really should take Apple's China revenues off the total or add non-Play Store Android app revenue onto the total.

More bullshit from you-know-know. It’s funny how hypocritical you Android fans are.

Third party Android stores are rife with malware and other security issues. The Android fans answer to this is “Google Play is safe and if you get something by downloading a third party App you only have yourself to blame. Stick to Google Play.”

Yet when they want to compare revenues (to desperately try to come up with a “win” against iOS), suddenly third party stores are included (ALL of Android).
    The article isn't about malware or Android.

It's about Google Play Store revenues.

I was replying to someone who was equating Google Play with Android.

There was nothing untoward to be smelled, much less, bullshit.

Nothing hypocritical either and the idea of getting a 'win' is absurd. That makes little sense.

The only valid comparison to make is between Google Play and The App Store. And The App Store is trouncing Google Play.
    Yes it is though both are getting ridiculously richer from it with seemingly little effort. But that's not all the article mentioned so it was perfectly proper for Avon to comment on the author saying "On one hand, it is impressive that Apple is able to so handily beat Google when Android has a much larger global install base, but it is important to note that Google Play is not yet available in China, whereas the App Store is. 

Call the author to task rather than Avon if you object to the mention. 
    edited July 2018 nunzymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 39
    MacPro said:

lkrupp said:
    supadav03 said:
    And you were right.
    How so? Oh you mean my saying that Apple is getting far richer and more successful from the App Store than Google is from Google Play? You find that objectionable or just disappointed that I didn't say Google was "winning" so you'd have something to actually disagree with outside of a personal problem with who the poster is? 
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nsingularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    With app stores, you don't have to be the biggest, you just have to be too big for devs to ignore.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 39
    wigby said:
    supadav03 said:
    This is an old narrative and yet every time someone claims that iOS customers are more valuable than Android customers because they are willing to spend more, they are shouted down as elitists or liars with no data to cite. This (and many other studies) seem to be an apples to apples comparison for app purchasing but I'm sure someone will object because China is not part of Google's strategy.
    There's been lots of "data to cite" showing that on a per-user basis an iOS one will spend more than someone using Android. Heck there's probably a dozen articles or more here alone and I can't remember anyone getting shouted down for claiming it. It's a simple truth.  
    nunzyAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:
    This is why the devs always come out with the iOS version of an app before they come out with the Android version, and lots of them never even bother to make an Android version.

Android cannot survive much longer. They tried to kill the iPhone, but they failed.
    You need to dig a little deeper. The article deliberately played down the bigger issue and as a result only used the word Android once.

This piece isn't really about Android. It is about the Google Play store. When it says the Google Play Store isn't available in China but the App Store is, didn't it occur to you that removing China from any smartphone tally would seriously distort the numbers?

The linked article only compares Google's and Apple's stores. It doesn't compare Android with iOS in any meaningful way.

In 2016, non-Play Store Android app revenue was sitting at 10 billion dollars. In 2017 it was expected to double and combined Android app at revenues were expected to surpass Apple App Store revenue:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/

Now, I don't know the figures for the first half of 2018 for combined Android app store revenue nor the Apple figures without the China numbers but if you want a meaningful platform comparison, the numbers really should take Apple's China revenues off the total or add non-Play Store Android app revenue onto the total.

Your argument would be stronger with a link to data that isn't some 15 months old, which predicted that Android OS app revenue would surpass iOS app revenue in 2017. I would think that milestone would be published when it occurred, yet I haven't found anything to that effect, perhaps because it hasn't happened?

nunzyAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 39
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:

Your argument would be stronger with a link to data that isn't some 15 months old, which predicted that Android OS app revenue would surpass iOS app revenue in 2017. I would think that milestone would be published when it occurred, yet I haven't found anything to that effect, perhaps because it hasn't happened?

That's certainly possible and even likely. I've not seen any AppAnnie news in that vein since, and they recently commented on Google Play continuing to close the gap with the App Store in Q1/18 with nary a mention of overall Android app revenues that included 3rd party stores in China or anywhere else. Like you I would expect if it had happened that AppAnnie would have been crowing "told ya so". 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 39
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    supadav03 said:
    You've maybe confused me with other posters who sometimes make stuff up just to push an agenda. ;)
    No he wasn't.
    ...thanks for helping to prove my point, and right on time. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 30 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:

More bullshit from you-know-know. It’s funny how hypocritical you Android fans are.

Third party Android stores are rife with malware and other security issues. The Android fans answer to this is “Google Play is safe and if you get something by downloading a third party App you only have yourself to blame. Stick to Google Play.”

Yet when they want to compare revenues (to desperately try to come up with a “win” against iOS), suddenly third party stores are included (ALL of Android).
    The article isn't about malware or Android.

It's about Google Play Store revenues.

I was replying to someone who was equating Google Play with Android.

There was nothing untoward to be smelled, much less, bullshit.

Nothing hypocritical either and the idea of getting a 'win' is absurd. That makes little sense.

Sorry, but do you think you're fooling anyone? You always show up trying to put your spin on things (with a slant against Apple/iOS and in favor of Google/Android).

BTW, the person you replied to didn't say anything about revenues, third party stores or how much is made in China. They talked about developers preferring iOS or that iOS Apps are generally superior. Both of these statements are true, yet you never addressed either of those in your post, and went all-in on third party revenues. The only thing incorrect in their post was that "Android cannot survive", which is clearly false.

Third party Android stores should never be counted for numerous reasons:

1. They are typically self-contained stores serving a particular market.
    2. Many of them are "closed", in that they only serve up their own Apps (more common with carriers).
    3. Developers rarely place their Apps on multiple third party stores (and wouldn't even have access to the closed stores). If someone wants to target a wider audience and multiple countries, they'd use Google Play.
    4. Because of these, third party Android stores do nothing to help the overall Android ecosystem. The only true Android ecosystem is Google Play, just like The App Store is the only iOS ecosystem.

The only valid comparison to make is between Google Play and The App Store. And The App Store is trouncing Google Play.
    1. I don't need to fool anyone.
    2. Don't you think the spin was in the article itself?
    3. There are no slants in favour or against anyone. That you see it that way suggests you should step back for a moment and try to see things more clearly. It seems you're ok with slants and spin but provided it is in Apple's favour. Perhaps that explains why you boil things down to winners (and by extension, losers).

4. I know the person I replied to didn't say anything about revenues, third party stores or China. He or she simply lumped everything into 'Android' without taking into account what the article really said. That was the reason I replied.

5. That third party app stores are typically self-contained is stating the obvious. Normally by region but where do you think those billions in revenues for Android apps that don't have their origin in the Play Store come from? It's definitely not from carriers own apps. They are from developers! I don't know why you think developers 'rarely place' their apps on third party stores. It was estimated - in the link I provided - that non-Google Play Store app revenue could top 20 billion dollars in 2017 alone. Of course it helps the overall Android platform. The more availability the better. It just doesn't help Google that much - until a popular app  becomes popular worldwide and ends up in Google Play.
    nunzyAlex1Nsingularity
  • Reply 31 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:

That's certainly possible and even likely. I've not seen any AppAnnie news in that vein since, and they recently commented on Google Play continuing to close the gap with the App Store in Q1/18 with nary a mention of overall Android app revenues that included 3rd party stores in China or anywhere else. Like you I would expect if it had happened that AppAnnie would have been crowing "told ya so". 
    I agree that Google Play Store is closing the gap for revenue with the iOS App Store, though catching Apple is off in the future.  I'm certainly not alone in hoping that Google establishes the Pixel as a competing line to iPhone, or as Vlad at The Verge noted. "Android's iPhone". 

Even Android OS needs at least one "walled garden" for it's customers to choose, and it would be a driver for even more professional level cross platform apps due to a larger overall market.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    crowley said:
    Does this include ad revenue?  Doesn't seem so, which makes it suspect as data of any consequence, since it is pretty well established that Android apps lean more on advertising than an upfront price.
    This is from the end of the report:

Note: The revenue estimates contained in this report are not inclusive of local taxes, in-app advertising, or in-app user spending on mobile commerce, e.g., purchases via the Amazon app, rides via the Uber app, or food deliveries via the GrubHub app. Refunds are also not reflected in the provided figures.

Not sure if you were referring to in-app advertising or something else, though.

• Reply 33 of 39
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    avon b7 said:
    nunzy said:

Third party Android stores are rife with malware and other security issues.

Amazon?

For some of our customers Amazon is an important source of income, especially as the Fire Tablets are quite popular. And as far as I know Amazon's process for approving apps is at least as good as Google's.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:

Owning an app development company, I can only disagree.   All our apps are simultaneously developed for Android and iOS and there is absolutely no difference in quality between the 2 versions. 

We also develop apps on request for 3rd parties.   I think it was in 2013 we got the last request for an iOS only app. 

Irrelevant. Yours is the case for many, but doesn’t change the fact that overall developers still favor iOS. Or the fact that overall iOS Apps are superior (esp tablet Apps which are a complete joke on Android).

And you know this because you are a pro developer targeting both OS's, or because you have some numbers to back it up?

E.g. what tablet apps are you talking about?
    nunzyAlex1N
  • Reply 35 of 39
    IreneW said:
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:

Owning an app development company, I can only disagree.   All our apps are simultaneously developed for Android and iOS and there is absolutely no difference in quality between the 2 versions. 

We also develop apps on request for 3rd parties.   I think it was in 2013 we got the last request for an iOS only app. 

Irrelevant. Yours is the case for many, but doesn’t change the fact that overall developers still favor iOS. Or the fact that overall iOS Apps are superior (esp tablet Apps which are a complete joke on Android).

And you know this because you are a pro developer targeting both OS's, or because you have some numbers to back it up?

How about you make a list of ten apps that would be of interest to, and/or unavailable to, anyone with an iPad? Just ten.

I'll wait.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 36 of 39
    tmay said:
    IreneW said:
    cropr said:
    nunzy sai i8d:

How about you make a list of ten apps that would be of interest to, and/or unavailable to, anyone with an iPad? Just ten.

I'll wait.
    I was asking about "the fact" that iOS apps are superior (esp for tablets). As a SW test leader, with extensive experience of testing iOS as well as Android apps, I'd like to know. If the general public finds some apps "a complete joke", I'd like to know. Just to make sure I do a better job.

I don't understand why _I_ should make a list of apps? Care to explain?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 37 of 39
    IreneW said:
    tmay said:
    IreneW said:
    cropr said:
    nunzy sai i8d:

I'll wait.
    I was asking about "the fact" that iOS apps are superior (esp for tablets). As a SW test leader, with extensive experience of testing iOS as well as Android apps, I'd like to know. If the general public finds some apps "a complete joke", I'd like to know. Just to make sure I do a better job.

You were the one that commented about Amazon. 

I looked at Amazon's app store; not impressed.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    tmay said:
    IreneW said:
    tmay said:
    IreneW said:
    cropr said:
    nunzy sai i8d:

I'll wait.

You were the one that commented about Amazon. 

I looked at Amazon's app store; not impressed.
    Yes, in another reply in another part of this thread about another question, I gave Amazon as an example of a curated app store, important for some developers, besides Google and Apple.

Looking at the top lists (check App Annie or Sensor Tower) these look very similar across all three stores. Obviously I haven't tested and compared functionality between the versions for all, but these I have compared has very similar feature sets and quality. (Actually, one of the common complaints from our UX testers are that app versions are _too_ similar, not embracing the different usage patterns iOS and Android users expect. In some cases this is due to portability frameworks that more closely copies e.g. Material design, in other cases it is due to explicit requirements from the executives.

So, what was the question again?
    Alex1Ngatorguy
  • Reply 39 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:

Android has tablets? Well how many apps do you think the 100 people who might have one actually need? :wink: 
    Lol. Actually more Android tablets are being sold actively than all iPads put together even now. In India, low cost tablets (<$200) are being sold/used in significant numbers even now, even though the variety of available Android tablets has reduced significantly. And those makers of those Android tablets are not making much profit would be a no-brainer. In >$300 segment (where almost all the profits are available), iPads have near monopoly with Samsung's Tab S series providing a miniscule competition. While your statement is true for all practical purposes, technically it is not accurate.