Apple self-driving car fleet grows to 66 vehicles in California

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

adm1 said:
    I still think Apple's end-goal is not to sell us a self-driving car but to remove the need of us to own a car... cars in the future are automated ride-sharing shuttles that u hail as and when u need. The tie-up with Didi cabs led me down this route of thinking.
    There is many companies with this goal. I think regardless of whether we buy them outright or pay a fair, they still have to build Apple cars, and it looks very much like they are. There will still be people out there who want their own car, and you can be sure if they are willing to give Apple enough money Apple will give them the option of doing so.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    adm1 said:
    I still think Apple's end-goal is not to sell us a self-driving car but to remove the need of us to own a car... cars in the future are automated ride-sharing shuttles that u hail as and when u need. The tie-up with Didi cabs led me down this route of thinking.
    Agreed. 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:

adm1 said:
    There is many companies with this goal. I think regardless of whether we buy them outright or pay a fair, they still have to build Apple cars, and it looks very much like they are. There will still be people out there who want their own car, and you can be sure if they are willing to give Apple enough money Apple will give them the option of doing so.
    At around £40,000 a shot I’d say. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    adm1 said:
    That's the current plan for most of these early entrants in autonomous driving. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    gatorguy said:
    adm1 said:
    That's the current plan for most of these early entrants in autonomous driving. 
    Because it's the one that makes the most sense.  The subscription model is everywhere now and customers are comfortable with it.  I don't pay per song anymore, or per movie, per minute on my phone, and I highly doubt I will pay per mile when the time comes. I will buy the $200/month unlimited plan, and that will still be far less expensive that loan/lease, gas and maintenance on my own car. 

I keep hearing the "people want to have their own car" argument. I wasn't around at the time, but Im sure it's the same as the "I want my own horse" argument. Unless you live in the country, it won't be practical. The next car you buy has a really good chance of being the last.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    lkrupp said:

Despite the increases, Apple still does not operate the most autonomous test vehicles in the state. California's records indicate Apple's fleet to be the third-largest, behind the 117 cars and 333 drivers for GM Cruise, as well as the 72 cars and 411 drivers of Waymo. Tesla has 39 cars and 92 registered drivers in its own project.

What does this have to do with anything? Is the company with the most cars on the road the winner? What does being third place in the number of cars on the road have to do with Apple’s success or failure in this technology? Why was that paragraph inserted?
    Context. This just says Apple is keeping pace with the other major players testing in California.  I thought it was interesting.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    zroger73 said:
    On March 29, an Apple Maps van crashed in Kilgore, Texas. The driver died from his injuries later that day.

It's creepy how this story never made it past the local news. Interestingly, the local police department was asking the public for information about the crash. Surely, the 360° cameras, lidar, GPS, and wheel encoder collected more than enough evidence. Locals say that intersection is very dangerous.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/police/driver-in-wreck-near-kilgore-dies-from-injuries/article_8cae4bdc-381b-11e8-ab66-771cdddaf270.html

NOTE: This was not a self-driving vehicle.

The police would have to file for that information. And when that wreck happed that system was not on at the time. So there would not been any photos or data collected from that system at the time. I would have loved to know what really happed. Don was a very safe driver and a good friend.