Apple Pay on the Web rolling out to eBay customers starting in 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    While I am an avid ApplePay user I will NOT use it on EBay.   I use it everywhere else.  In fact I avoid stores that don't offer it -- except EBay.

The reason is:  EBay protects the buyer through PayPal where, if he shows that he received something that was misrepresented by the seller in any way, EBay will step in, issue a return label and reverse the payment to refund his money through PayPal.

As a seller and a buyer that has worked both ways for me:
    When I tried to sell my first iPhone, the buyer complained that there was dust inside the camera lens that affected the pictures.   I refused the return because I believed that it didn't.  But, EBay stepped in and forced the return & refund.  And, when I got the phone back and looked closely, the buyer was correct.   (It probably happened when Apple replaced the battery).

Conversely, when I bought my first AppleWatch I saw scratches on it that the buyer had not reported.  When I asked for a return, he refused.  So, I appealed to EBay who forced him to accept the return and refund.

EBay could theoretically do that with ApplePay.  But, because it is essentially just a credit card transaction, I doubt that they will be able to offer that level of protection to the buyer if ApplePay is used.  For buyers that would be a major downgrade to the platform.
    You're confusing how this works. It's not just with PayPal, any listing, which is most, that has Ebay buyer protection is covered. Ebay offers this as an incentive to buyers to use Ebay. Look for the "Money Back Guarantee" in the listing.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Notsofast said:
    While I am an avid ApplePay user I will NOT use it on EBay.   I use it everywhere else.  In fact I avoid stores that don't offer it -- except EBay.

The reason is:  EBay protects the buyer through PayPal where, if he shows that he received something that was misrepresented by the seller in any way, EBay will step in, issue a return label and reverse the payment to refund his money through PayPal.

When I tried to sell my first iPhone, the buyer complained that there was dust inside the camera lens that affected the pictures.   I refused the return because I believed that it didn't.  But, EBay stepped in and forced the return & refund.  And, when I got the phone back and looked closely, the buyer was correct.   (It probably happened when Apple replaced the battery).

Conversely, when I bought my first AppleWatch I saw scratches on it that the buyer had not reported.  When I asked for a return, he refused.  So, I appealed to EBay who forced him to accept the return and refund.

EBay could theoretically do that with ApplePay.  But, because it is essentially just a credit card transaction, I doubt that they will be able to offer that level of protection to the buyer if ApplePay is used.  For buyers that would be a major downgrade to the platform.
    You're confusing how this works. It's not just with PayPal, any listing, which is most, that has Ebay buyer protection is covered. Ebay offers this as an incentive to buyers to use Ebay. Look for the "Money Back Guarantee" in the listing.
    It works via tight integration with PayPal -- not a credit card -- which is what Apple Pay is.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    mbenz1962 said:

This isn't 100% accurate. eBay's protection is separate from Paypal.  In fact, eBay only requires the use of an approved electronic payment method (of which PayPal is one).  From eBay's Purchase protection page:

To qualify for eBay Money Back Guarantee, you must meet these requirements:
    • Use an approved electronic payment method to pay for your purchases, such as PayPal, Moneybookers, ProPay or Paymate.
    • Pay for the full amount of your purchase with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments, e.g. with a deposit followed by a final payment, are not eligible.
    • Send the payment to the seller through:
      • The eBay "Pay Now" button or
      • An eBay invoice
      • Once logged in to PayPal, click the "Send Money" tab, and then "eBay Items", under the "Purchase" tab.
    The rub is that most sellers only offer PayPal as their electronic payment method.  This is no doubt thanks to the tight relationship the two companies have had over the years.  At one time you were even obligated by eBay to accept PayPal as a seller.
    melgross said:

I see no reason why ... they wouldn’t offer the same protections through Apple Pay. After all, it’s ebay that’s giving that guarantee, not PayPal. 
    This is absolutely correct and I for one hope that this is where eBay is headed.
    Yes, the guarantee & backing is EBay's not PayPal's.   But EBay works through PayPal.  If you use a credit card (which is essentially what ApplePay is), you do not get that protection.

Yes, as I mentioned, it is theoretically possible that EBay will offer the same protection through ApplePay.   But I have seen nothing to indicate that they will.   Hopefully they will.  I have no particular love (nor hate) for PayPal.  I have never (knock on wood) had any problems with them.  So, unless ApplePay can at least match the service I get from going through PayPal, I will stick to PayPal.   Currently, I do not see any indication that ApplePay will do that. 

After thought added:   One of the key factors is that EBay holds the PayPal payment until the transaction is settled (Yeh, I know that's not technically accurate, but that's the general idea).   But, with ApplePay, they can't do that.  The transaction is completed almost immediately.   That messes up EBay's control of the transaction.
    Well, I think it’s very different when using a credit card on eBay than when going through a pay service such as PayPal. A credit card is an individual transaction, through companies that do no business directly with eBay. A service is specifically authorized by eBay, and gives some advantages since eBay can work with one entity, rather than the hundreds, or even thousands, around the world, as with credit cards.

with a credit card company, you must contact them over a problem. When eBay deals with a service, that covers possibly millions of customers, so eBay can much more easily (and far more cheaply, let’s not forget that!) be the middleman for you.

if eBay is going to register Apple Pay as a payment service, they could do the same thing as with PayPal. Apple does allow for contention with retailers. I’m sure that with what could be such a large customer as in eBay, something will be worked out. 
    Yeh, there are ways it could be made to work.  But I have not seen any evidence that they are being implemented.  Hopefully they are.  

EBay and PayPal have always been a tightly integrated process.   It might be difficult to duplicate that unless EBay steps into the middle of the process -- say by holding the payment until the item is received by the buyer -- which would make them another PayPal.

I would want to see assurances from EBay that I am protected just like I am with PayPal before switching over to ApplePay.
    How could you see evidence of something that hasn’t been even started yet? This move will only just begin in the fall, and completely roll out, as it’s being said, by 2021. There’s no reason any of this would be known by anyone outside those making this work. If anything, this will be proprietary information. But somehow, it will work. Have no doubt about that. I would imagine that a fair percentage of ebay’s users use iOS and Macs, or they would not be doing this, and they won’t alienate a large group of customers by not having the same services and recourse. It would make no sense from any business perspective.

A reason is that a large percentage of,eBay sellers have accounts on Amazon as well. Sometimes I buy something from an eBay seller, and it comes in an Amazon box, with a different sellers name. It’s the same seller with different names for eBay and Amazon. Because of this, buyers would leave eBay for those purchases that can be done on either, and go to Amazon. And yes, while Amazon doesn’t yet allow Apple Pay, they do have Touch ID and faceid sign-in. So, we’ll see.
    I hope that your assumptions prove to be true.  For myself, I'll wait till EBay spells out the details.   If it's simply touting the speed, ease and efficiency of making or receiving payment I will assume the worst.
    Of course we’ll see what eBay and Apple are planning. But it’s acknowledged that Apple customers do spend more money than the average person. We’re very good customers. We’re what are called “preferred customers”. They won’t want to screw that up.

They will be touting soeed efficiency as well as well as security. Back end operations are never sexy, and are rarely advertised. After all, if all they will be doing there is to continue present policies, there’s nothing to talk about. You’ll have to read the fine print. The most they would say is that their return and arbitration policies remain in effect.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Notsofast said:

It works via tight integration with PayPal -- not a credit card -- which is what Apple Pay is.
    Apple Pay is no more of a credit card than PayPal is. If you consider Apple Pay a credit card because you register one, or more, with it, then you must consider PayPal a credit card, because you register one, or more, with it also.

i don’t see your logic here. You need to explain.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:
    Notsofast said:

Apple Pay is no more of a credit card than PayPal is. If you consider Apple Pay a credit card because you register one, or more, with it, then you must consider PayPal a credit card, because you register one, or more, with it also.

Traditionally, at least until AppleCash came along, ApplePay was essentially a pass through system:   You charge something and Apple simply passes that charge on to your credit card company almost simultaneously.   For instance, when I buy something with Apple Pay I usually get a ding on my watch from my credit card company letting know that a charge for $x at place y was made.  Basically, ApplePay was merely handling the transaction rather than the cash and Apple is never mentioned as part of that process by either the seller or my credit card company.

Paypal, at least with EBay, seemed to be more involved in the cash end of the transaction where PayPal accepted the charge, then later produced a separate transaction to get their money from your credit card company or bank or whatever payment method you chose.   They seemed to be operating more as a bank than a mere transaction processor.  For instance, when the charge comes through the payee is listed as PayPal, not the EBay vendor.

I think the difference is what enabled EBay to make their return guarantee -- they (or PayPal) held onto the funds until the entire transaction was completed.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    melgross said:
    Notsofast said:

Traditionally, at least until AppleCash came along, ApplePay was essentially a pass through system:   You charge something and Apple simply passes that charge on to your credit card company almost simultaneously.   For instance, when I buy something with Apple Pay I usually get a ding on my watch from my credit card company letting know that a charge for $x at place y was made.  Basically, ApplePay was merely handling the transaction rather than the cash and Apple is never mentioned as part of that process by either the seller or my credit card company.

Paypal, at least with EBay, seemed to be more involved in the cash end of the transaction where PayPal accepted the charge, then later produced a separate transaction to get their money from your credit card company or bank or whatever payment method you chose.   They seemed to be operating more as a bank than a mere transaction processor.  For instance, when the charge comes through the payee is listed as PayPal, not the EBay vendor.

I think the difference is what enabled EBay to make their return guarantee -- they (or PayPal) held onto the funds until the entire transaction was completed.
    So then, it’s oretty obvious that Apple Pay is not like a credit card at all. It’s closer to a transaction middleman. It, in reality, isn’t even that. But banks and credit card companies are paying Apple a small fee for every transaction because the security of the system is extremely high. I don’t know what the numbers are, but it’s very possible that not one transaction has been broached, which isn’t the case for credit cards, bank cards, etc. and PayPal has had problems over the years.

credit card companies pay retailers on a monthly basis. But the concept behind supporting the consumer is that they will, in the future, continue paying those retailers out of future sales. They don’t have to claw paid funds back for it, they just withhold future payments. The same thing will happen here. For anything else, eBay is insured for that. Their guarantee is pretty strong in this.

their guarantee states nothing about payment methods, and applies no matter the approved method. If you do what eBay states not to do, which Is to buy outside of their network, then no guarantee applies, and you’re on your own.

at any rate, there is no doubt that any protections eBay gives now, will be given with Apple Pay. No doubt at all.
    edited July 2018 GeorgeBMacmbenz1962