iPhone could be hit by incoming $500B U.S. tariff threat on Chinese imports

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    wizard69 said:
    dewme said:
    There's a high stakes game of Chicken going on with the economy. The average consumers on all sides are getting caught in a conflict that has no winnable outcome. The one percenters, i.e., those writing the laws and controlling the politicians, are going to come out of this perfectly fine financially. They always do. The top nine percenters will weather the storm with some pain. The remaining ninety percent are going to be crushed like ants and think they are "winning." The impact of tariffs already being levied has already negated the benefits that the new tax law was supposedly going to deliver tiny benefits to the majority of the middle class. It's only just started.
    I really don't thin you know what you are talking about, the economy in the USA is on a roll and employment is at record highs.    It is actually prime time to start up a business.
    You may be correct that the majority of economists who believe that a trade war is an unwinnable scenario are totally wrong, that history doesn’t matter, and that placing our economic future in the hands of an unstable reality TV star is the best course of action. I guess we’ll find out soon enough who will blink first and avert a head-on disaster. The current strong economy gives us a longer distance to the collision point, as does the administration bailing out industries that are suffering from tariff related effects, like farming, with a 12 billion welfare payment. No doubt that manufacturing enterprises that are being hurt by high steel and aluminum prices will get a big bail out too. Cost of war?  I’d guess that most Americans aren’t currently starting businesses but every American is feeling the impact of inflation setting in and real purchasing power going down. Nobody is going to bail out the taxpayers who are paying for the high stakes geopolitical posturing and economic power plays. I hope that everything does turn out to be beneficial for everyone but the blatant recklessness that’s currently being demonstrated across multiple critical areas of concern is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. 
    ronnradarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 35
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Apple should sell iOS on iTunes for every iPhone being used in China for $100. All apps developed / “made in China” should be subject to 25% tariff.

• Reply 23 of 35
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    jbdragon said:

End the tariff's, stop buying Chinese made products!!!
    iPhone is a "Chinese made product". Should we stop buying iPhone?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    DAalseth said:
    Okay here’s a question. I live in Canada. I buy my Apple products from the Apple.ca store. Theoretically the tarriffs would not hit my purchases. However, I’ve noticed that everything I order is routed through the US. I wonder if I would get clipped by this just because it passes through the country.
    No, you won’t. 
  • Reply 25 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jbdragon said:
    The tariffs will hurt China far, far more than the U.S. Just because trade has been so unbalanced for so long. The U.S. far, far, far imports China Made goods. It's easier to list what's NOT made in China. Then American goods going into China. If China doesn't want to be more fair in trade, than something has to actually happen. So it's tariffs. So you as a customer of China made goods will have to pay a few dollars more for things for a while. Or cut back what you buy from China. A tariff war will hurt China far more than the U.S. We in the end win either way. China wants to continue the war, businesses come back to the U.S., creating Jobs. The tariff war ends, with China allowing a lot more products into China, more business for U.S. company's, more jobs created.

The simple fact of the matter is, we American's have been getting screwed over by China for years as jobs, year after year fled to China. Do we just continue down that path? I think it should be a level playing field. China has a growing middle class and American products shouldn't be blocked from the China market.

End the tariff's, stop buying Chinese made products!!! China caves, the U.S. get's what it wants, the tariff's go away.

This is predicated on the idea that the US represents the majority of the Chinese export market. It isn't. The rest of us will continue to buy from China because it's cheaper. In fact, the reduced demand from the US will probably result in lower prices for the rest of us, as China shifts its focus to other markets. Then, if they retaliate, any US industries that export to China are going to be hurt.

The thing is, if it were anyone other than China, it might work. But China is too big for unilateral tariffs from the US to have any impact.

[Deleted User]ronn
  • Reply 26 of 35
    DAalseth said:
    Okay here’s a question. I live in Canada. I buy my Apple products from the Apple.ca store. Theoretically the tarriffs would not hit my purchases. However, I’ve noticed that everything I order is routed through the US. I wonder if I would get clipped by this just because it passes through the country.
    Theoretically, no. The tax would just be levied on goods destined for the US, goods destined for outside of the US would (or should) be taxed in the destination country where the item is sold. However I'm no expert on US customs and they may just blanket tax everything that reaches the shoreline - in that case, expect to see a lot more shipping traffic going directly to Canada and Mexico etc.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jbdragon said:
    The tariffs will hurt China far, far more than the U.S. Just because trade has been so unbalanced for so long. The U.S. far, far, far imports China Made goods. It's easier to list what's NOT made in China. Then American goods going into China. If China doesn't want to be more fair in trade, than something has to actually happen. So it's tariffs. So you as a customer of China made goods will have to pay a few dollars more for things for a while. Or cut back what you buy from China. A tariff war will hurt China far more than the U.S. We in the end win either way. China wants to continue the war, businesses come back to the U.S., creating Jobs. The tariff war ends, with China allowing a lot more products into China, more business for U.S. company's, more jobs created.

The simple fact of the matter is, we American's have been getting screwed over by China for years as jobs, year after year fled to China. Do we just continue down that path? I think it should be a level playing field. China has a growing middle class and American products shouldn't be blocked from the China market.

End the tariff's, stop buying Chinese made products!!! China caves, the U.S. get's what it wants, the tariff's go away.
    Your argument kinda falls down if you compare what the US has to offer China in products vs what China has to offer the US. There's only so much Wrangler jeans, Bourbon and Harley Davidsons a chinaman can own (or want to). China is already many years down the road in building trade agreements with the rest of the world, the same type of thing the US is pulling out of. RCEP for example has zero US/dollar involvement.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Pres. Trump previously assured Cook that Apple would not be part of any tariffs. And the Chinese government would be fools to retaliate using Apple as an example. Apple employs tens of thousands of Chinese workers there.
    This is very telling in identifying the root cause of the problem. Nothing bothers me more than "victim mentality" that is so pervasive in the today's society. The way you hear it playing out in the media and from certain political circles the Chinese have "victimized" the US through unfair trade practices that have led to job losses in the US. The problem with this victim centric approach is that it makes no sense and is a smoke screen for domestic consumption. Corporate quest for profits and capitalism are what moved those jobs overseas. US firms needed to offer up less expensive goods for sale, reduce their overhead, and expand their global markets to emerging economies like Southeast Asia and South America. The Chinese industrial might was more than willing to accommodate their wishes with a huge stockpile of cheap labor and build-to-order factories that could be brought online in a fraction of the time it would take in the US or Europe. It was and always has been a mutually beneficial relationship between capitalists regardless of its impact to the working class folk on either side. In the process one side transformed from a dominantly agrarian workforce to a manufacturing workforce and the other from a manufacturing workforce to a service workforce.

US companies like Apple, Walmart, BestBuy, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft as well as US universities (look at the demographics of any US post grad engineering or computer science program in the past 25 years) rode this transformation to unprecedented profits. What about the superstars of the US and EU manufacturing era? Book a trip to Singapore (and to a lesser extent Vietnam and the Philippines) to see where a fair number of them ended up establishing operations to lead their manufacturing operational push into Southeast Asia and China. 

Yeah, this is a complex topic but everything complex has multiple points of views and perspectives. But once someone plays the victim card they're actively ignoring the other parts of the story that need to be told. Everyone involved in the current situation was an active participant in arriving where we are at today and setting the stage for at least the near term future. Negotiations and trade agreements need to be conducted. Hopefully those affected by these agreements at the worker bee, consumer, and taxpayer level will have representation at the negotiating table and not be discounted as collateral damage by the capitalists and elites who are calling the shots. It's a worthy goal but I'm not going to hold out too much hope based on the current highly adversarial, contentious, and victimization mentality atmosphere.  
    radarthekat
  • Reply 29 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So the rich get a $1.5 Trillion tax cut and I have to pay extra tax on my next iPhone?   That seems a bit skewed.
    ronn
  • Reply 30 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nunzy said:
    frankie said:
    Pres. Trump previously assured Cook that Apple would not be part of any tariffs. And the Chinese government would be fools to retaliate using Apple as an example. Apple employs tens of thousands of Chinese workers there.
    Why should Apple be exclusively spared when others aren't?
    A lot of Apple customers are also Trump voters.  You don't really think that Jared and Ivanka use Android, do you?
    Far smalller minority perhaps, but far more Trump voters are Android users as they don't want to pay for anything. Majority of food stamp/welfare recipients are white trash Amerikans who vote Trump and GOP.
    “White trash Americans”? That’s racist, elitist nonsense.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 31 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 said:
    dewme said:
    There's a high stakes game of Chicken going on with the economy. The average consumers on all sides are getting caught in a conflict that has no winnable outcome. The one percenters, i.e., those writing the laws and controlling the politicians, are going to come out of this perfectly fine financially. They always do. The top nine percenters will weather the storm with some pain. The remaining ninety percent are going to be crushed like ants and think they are "winning." The impact of tariffs already being levied has already negated the benefits that the new tax law was supposedly going to deliver tiny benefits to the majority of the middle class. It's only just started.
    I really don't thin you know what you are talking about, the economy in the USA is on a roll and employment is at record highs.    It is actually prime time to start up a business.
    Even if one is unable or unwilling to start a business, the labor market is the best it’s been in 60 years.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    jbdragon said:

"We Americans"? But what language are you using to write your post?

• Reply 33 of 35
    lovemnlovemn Posts: 52member
    Never trust a headline with “Could” in it. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 35
    wizard69 said:
    dewme said:
    Even if one is unable or unwilling to start a business, the labor market is the best it’s been in 60 years.
    Yeh, but that's leveling out:   From 2009 through 2016 it dropped steadily and consistently from  10% to  4.7%.   It's only changed slightly (to 4%) since then.   Wages haven't changed much either.  We didn't get much for that $1.5 trillion we borrowed.   But now we have to figure out how to pay it back.
    ronn
  • Reply 35 of 35
    IreneW said:
    jbdragon said:

"We Americans"? But what language are you using to write your post?

The truth is:  We Americans have been reaping the benefits of cheap goods from China for years keeping both prices and inflation.   By ending that, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.   But, the farmers get paid for not working.   Funny how that works...
    anome