Nike Training Club app for watchOS brings workout updates to Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Nike has released a version of its Nike Training Club app to the Apple Watch, with the aim of providing users with workouts and feedback on their wrist without needing to stop mid-session to look at the app on their iPhone.

The Apple Watch edition of the app works alongside the existing Nike Training Club app for iOS, providing many of the benefits of the iPhone version. Users have access to over 180 free workouts, ranging from routines for strength and endurance to mobility and yoga, curated by world-class Nike Master Trainers and Nike athletes.

The one issue with the iPhone app is that users have to keep checking it to see if they have performed the required number of repetitions, effectively stopping their session to check each and every time. The Apple Watch will display the number of repetitions or time remaining of a drill, keeping the information at a glance and not interrupting the session.

The Apple Watch app also offers haptic prompts, signaling the start of a new drill or run, and the end of the workout itself. Heart rate monitoring, calorie burn, and other exercise data can be seen from the app, with it providing weekly notifications encouraging users to close their Exercise ring.

While the Apple Watch version of the app can be used to monitor progress, it seems a workout can only be started via the iPhone app.

"The resounding feedback from athletes worldwide was that they wanted us to put the best training app onto Apple Watch," according to Nike VP of Category Digital Product Innovation Mike McCabe. "I think we've done it in a way that will make it an intuitive and invaluable training tool."

The Nike Training Club apps for iPhone and Apple Watch are free downloads, and require iOS 11.0 and watchOS 4.0 or later versions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    This story was posted at 12:50 PM and yet I am in with the first comment.  That’s how many people still care about NRC. 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cecil444cecil444 Posts: 40member
    I use the Nike+RunClub app on my 3rd edition GPS Apple Watch and although I love the features, the performance is awful. It fails to sync, repeatedly fails when it’s trying to download audio-guided runs, drops audio from runs, and sometimes screws up the GPS location too. Not sure how much of this is due to Watch failures but regardless, Nike shouldn’t be adding features if they don’t work reliably. I honestly wonder if anyone at Nike has tested their own apps - they perform that badly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Great news!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    cecil444 said:
    I use the Nike+RunClub app on my 3rd edition GPS Apple Watch and although I love the features, the performance is awful. It fails to sync, repeatedly fails when it’s trying to download audio-guided runs, drops audio from runs, and sometimes screws up the GPS location too. Not sure how much of this is due to Watch failures but regardless, Nike shouldn’t be adding features if they don’t work reliably. I honestly wonder if anyone at Nike has tested their own apps - they perform that badly.
    It doesn’t fail to sync, it’s just painfully slow to. 

Drop audio would be due to watch hardware I’d imagine. Otherwise Apple will add audio guided to their Workout too. 
    edited July 2018