Apple's self-driving car system could change how it drives by detecting passenger stress l...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    A sensor device located at the front of the vehicle's cabin could potentially monitor some or all of the people in a car, which could be used to identify individuals. \
    Totally not okay with that, but I’m also not okay with self-drivers.
    A comfort profile dictates how the vehicle drives, changing a variety of settings so the car moves with as much comfort for the user or users as possible.
    So if I dress like this, will my car multi-lane drift?

Apple's "Project Titan," the codename used for the self-driving technology, was originally thought to be part of a branded car, but the focus changed to the autonomous vehicle technology in late 2016.
    How do we know either half of that sentence?
    Another application uses the external sensors of the vehicle to recognize gestures and hand-based commands given by traffic directors, such as police turning traffic away from an accident.
    That… is neat.
    I could see shirts like this becoming popular as pedestrians attempt to mess with automated systems.

• Reply 22 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    I am not comfortable with this type of technology. At all.  
  • Reply 23 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    entropys said:
    I am not comfortable with this type of technology. At all.  
    Stay away from Phoenix then. Even Walmart is going to offer an autonomous car loaner there for customer pickup of online orders.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 24 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I could see shirts like this becoming popular as pedestrians attempt to mess with automated systems.

How long before the media declares that’s terrorism? Never mind that self-driving cars can be coerced into causing accidents simply with LINES OF SALT.

• Reply 25 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ElCapitan said:
    mac_dog said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Perhaps they should learn to read the stress level and feedback of their Mac users before they attempt anything that will get people killed. 
    Really? Even when I’ve had a shitty “mac” day (perhaps 10 in the last three decades), the platform has always been a dream to work with. Every time I have attempted to work on a pc, it has been a nightmare. Not sure what you’re trying to say here, but maybe it has nothing to do with the platform and more to do with the user and their expectations. 
    I was not referring to macOS in itself, although at times even that can be testy with the rapid yearly update cycle and features being removed or "simplified" to the level of less useful. 

I was more thinking of the stress level a number of Mac owners (the hardware) feel, for whom Apple has not provided a viable update path for literally years. 
    No, I think you’re thinking of the people who like to complain about Apple, it’s roadmap, timelines, and comprises made inline with its design ethos. I’d wager most of these complainers will never actually own a Mac Pro desktop. Today you can get an amazing performing MBP or iMac Pro that will cover the use cases for the vast majority of people here. MP owners are in the low single digits. 
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    “enabling or disabling traction control...based on user’s emotion.”
    When would that ever be a good idea for an autonomous vehicle?
    Well, if you’re suicidal in the winter, it’ll turn off automatically to give the user what they desire.
    And probably help killing innocent victims the the path of the out-of-contol vehicle in the process.