Actor Orlando Bloom stops play because of audience member just holding an iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I am an actor. I’ve been on a fair number of stage productions. The rule above all others is “Never Break Charactor’. It’s even on the dressing room wall of one of the theatres I’ve worked in. What he did was unprofessional. If he found it anmoying he should have waited until he was offstage and mentioned it to the Stage Manager. They could have gotten an Usher to take care of it. Not only did he interrupt the play, breaking the focus of the audiance, he interrupted the focus of all the other actors. Getting into charactor requires concentration. By interrupting the flow of the play he caused problems for everyone else in the production. It was unprofessional and I don’t care if it was Orlando Bloom, I hope the Director and Stage Manager read him the riot act after curtain. You don’t do that to the rest of the cast.
    xamaxelijahgirelandmuthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichmacplusplusAlex1Navon b7[Deleted User]
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Pompous Ass. I was at the Philadelphia Orchestra when Ricardo Muti was its conductor. Someone in the audience coughed during a quiet passage. Muti stopped the performance and stared at the person who coughed. Another pompous ass.
    xamax
  • Reply 23 of 34
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Not surprised. That’s elfish behavior. #Rivendell
    Legolas? More like all egos. 
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    What ever happened to our Good Manners and Right Conduct, ....
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    I am an actor. I’ve been on a fair number of stage productions. The rule above all others is “Never Break Charactor’. It’s even on the dressing room wall of one of the theatres I’ve worked in. What he did was unprofessional. If he found it anmoying he should have waited until he was offstage and mentioned it to the Stage Manager. They could have gotten an Usher to take care of it. Not only did he interrupt the play, breaking the focus of the audiance, he interrupted the focus of all the other actors. Getting into charactor requires concentration. By interrupting the flow of the play he caused problems for everyone else in the production. It was unprofessional and I don’t care if it was Orlando Bloom, I hope the Director and Stage Manager read him the riot act after curtain. You don’t do that to the rest of the cast.
    Since he had to do it twice, the stage manager and ushers were apparently asleep at the switch.   Legolas took matters into his own hands.

I have seen that in other areas as well:   One person is not doing their job and the one that is trying to get the job done right gets criticized when the try to correct for it.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 26 of 34
    I had to look him up... looks kind of familiar.

Lord of the Rings? The books were better.  I missed the last few movies, but they were forgettable obviously.

The trouble maker might want to use an iPhone in the future...  It’s hard not to notice an iPad.

What does the books being better than the movies have to do with Bloom acting in them?

watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 34
    From the photo, she's not even holding it up so it's not obstructing anyone's view. The screen's not on so it's not distracting anyone. If Bloom can make it out as an iPad from that distance then he can surely also see the apple logo is upside down, there's no camera at that end and there's a BRIGHT PINK FAN plugged into the base of it. What an arse. 
  • Reply 28 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    Since he had to do it twice, the stage manager and ushers were apparently asleep at the switch.   Legolas took matters into his own hands.

I have seen that in other areas as well:   One person is not doing their job and the one that is trying to get the job done right gets criticized when the try to correct for it.
    YOU NEVER BREAK CHARACTOR!!
    So it was annoying him. So ****ing what. You do your job, hit your marks, say your lines. That’s the actor’s job. If someone else was screwing up, thats their problem. It’s not the actor’s job to fix it. 
    Nope Bloom was unprofessional and I lost a lot if respect for him because of this. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

So it was annoying him. So ****ing what. You do your job, hit your marks, say your lines. That’s the actor’s job. If someone else was screwing up, thats their problem. It’s not the actor’s job to fix it. 
    Nope Bloom was unprofessional and I lost a lot if respect for him because of this. 
    Sorry, but Legolas was doing what was right -- what the stage manager should have done but was neglecting to do.   Sorry that you disapprove!

When one person on a team fails to do their job, it's not "His" problem.  It's everybody's problem.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 30 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

Sorry, but Legolas was doing what was right -- what the stage manager should have done but was neglecting to do.   Sorry that you disapprove!

When one person on a team fails to do their job, it's not "His" problem.  It's everybody's problem.
    You never break charactor.
    I’ve had props missing, I've had other actors get hurt on stage, I've had hecklers. I’ve had talkers. I’ve had ringing cell phones.  I’ve  been onstage when lights have exploded, and another time when ashes from a burning gel started drifting down from the lights.
    Nobody broke charactor. 
    You don’t break charactor.
    Bloom was a prima donna for doing this.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    mdjcmmdjcm Posts: 29member
    I used to work in a theatre and the thing that eventually got to me and made me quit was how often adults would bust out a phone or tablet mid-performance despite the warnings before the show starts stating it is not allowed. Adults...

youve paid to see a performance, you haven't paid to record a performance.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jivasouljivasoul Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Kick her out...no refunds Any devices out...you're gone...no refunds He shouldn't have to do what 1 security guard could've
  • Reply 33 of 34
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    IMHO: he was right to call her out, as it would certainly have looked like she was filming it.

That he had to do it a second time was entirely on her. She should have put it away after the first occasion.