USB-C and ThunderBolt3-3 question:

Posted:
in Genius Bar
What's the difference? ... so there's one port... it is both USBc and TB3? 
Are they the same thing?... or two completely different protocols that just happened (not coincidentally) to use the same style connector?

It just seems odd... sometimes it's referred to as USBc, sometimes as TB3... it's not very Apple-esque. (though maybe necessary.)

Enlighten me, please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    (I'm guessing since I'm confused, so, most likely, are a few other readers.)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    In short, the term USB-C only refers to connector physicality. A cable with USB-C connectors can be either Thunderbolt 3, or USB 3.x.

In addition, the Thunderbolt 3 protocol is also USB 3.x. The inverse is not true.

For instance: the connector on the MacBook is "USB 3.1 type C generation 1." The connector on the MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt 3. A USB 3.1 type C generation 1 peripheral can connect to the MacBook Pro. A Thunderbolt peripheral, like an eGPU, cannot connect to a MacBook, despite having the same physical connector.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/28/examined-thunderbolt-3-and-usb-31-gen-2-on-the-new-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar

edited July 2018 kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 3 of 4
    So if I understand it properly, the TB3 controller is also (contains) a USBc controller (but can do much more in addition.)
    That's perhaps very simplified, but am I on target?

• Reply 4 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    So if I understand it properly, the TB3 controller is also (contains) a USBc controller (but can do much more in addition.)
    That's perhaps very simplified, but am I on target?

Basically. The TB3 controller is a USB 3.1 controller as well. TB3 is four times faster than USB 3.1 Type C generation 2, and two times faster than USB 3.2. There are other more minute details, but they really aren't that relevant to this discussion, nor do they impact most users.

The term USB-C gets thrown around a lot as shorthand for USB 3.1 type C. That's where the confusion lies.

The rectangular USB plug on computers has always been called Type A. The varying peripheral ends that you think of as a printer-side plug has always been called Type B, if that helps at all. There are other modifiers for type A and B, like micro and mini, but they really aren't relevant here either.
    edited July 2018 kingofsomewherehot