Lisa Brennan-Jobs shares memories of her father in memoir

Posted:
in General Discussion
In "Small Fry," set for publication in September, the eldest daughter of Steve Jobs tells stories about the late Apple cofounder, and her life.

Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs

In the mythology of Apple history, Lisa Brennan-Jobs' name is well-known. She's the oldest child of Steve Jobs and his first serious girlfriend Chrisann Brennan. At the same time he was publicly denying paternity of her, Jobs made the decision to name an early Apple computer the Lisa. Later, the two reconciled, and Lisa went on to a career as a journalist.

Lisa Brennan-Jobs' past has been detailed in various biographies of her father over the years, but the now 40-year-old Brennan-Jobs is stepping into the spotlight to tell her side of the story in a new memoir called "Small Fry." The book, which was announced in March, is set for release in September, and Vanity Fair published an excerpt Wednesday. The excerpt implies that the question of whether or not the Lisa computer was named for Brennan-Jobs will loom large over the book.

In the excerpt, Brennan-Jobs shares that after she was born, Jobs denied his paternity from the start, even though he had agreed to visit her and her mother at the farm in Oregon where she had been born. But she didn't see Jobs again until she was three years old.

She goes on to tell her side of the court battle over Jobs' paternity, sharing that Apple went public -- bringing Jobs' net worth to over $200 million -- just days after that legal case was finalized.

The Lisa Computer

Even after Jobs admitted paternity and the two started to spend more time together, Jobs was distant with her. "By that time I knew he was not generous with money, or food, or words," she said of a time he visited her in San Francisco.

As she got older, Lisa would tell her friends "a secret," that her father was Steve Jobs, even though most elementary school students in the mid-1980s likely didn't know Jobs by name. She would even brag that her father had named a computer after her, although later in life, it started to bother her that the failed computer had had her name.

"By then the idea that he'd named the failed computer after me was woven in with my sense of self, even if he did not confirm it, and I used this story to bolster myself when, near him, I felt like nothing," Brennan-Jobs writes. "I didn't care about computers-- they were made of fixed metal parts and chips with glinting lines inside plastic cases-- but I liked the idea that I was connected to him in this way. It would mean I'd been chosen and had a place, despite the fact that he was aloof or absent."

Then, as a high school student, she finally asked Jobs if the computer had been named after her. His answer? "Nope. Sorry, kid."

However, years later, on a yacht trip with her father, Lisa found herself spending time with the long Apple-adjacent rock star Bono. As Jobs and Bono talked about their respective experience, Bono asked Jobs if the Lisa computer had, in fact, been named for his daughter. "Yeah, it was," Jobs replied.

The excerpt also includes a personal retelling of Jobs' final days before his death in 2011. Jobs died at the age of 56 after a long battle with cancer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    Huh. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Full exerpt on Vanity Fair. The chapter shows Lisa to be a good writer. Her story is sure to show a completely and not at all flattering side to SJ. I have never had any illusions. I may read this book because it is such a fascinating story and it deserves to be seen from this angle, too, but it will not affect me view of SJ as what I know him for. I already know he was a deeply flawed man, and I am sure this will just deepen that understanding. But on the other hand - had he been a lovely and caring being he would not have been Steve jobs and there would have been no Apple Mac. I am sorry he was such a prick but so I believe are an awful lot of the people I admire. 
    liketheskyfotoformatjony0
  • Reply 3 of 15
    paxman said:
    Full exerpt on Vanity Fair. The chapter shows Lisa to be a good writer. Her story is sure to show a completely and not at all flattering side to SJ. I have never had any illusions. I may read this book because it is such a fascinating story and it deserves to be seen from this angle, too, but it will not affect me view of SJ as what I know him for. I already know he was a deeply flawed man, and I am sure this will just deepen that understanding. But on the other hand - had he been a lovely and caring being he would not have been Steve jobs and there would have been no Apple Mac. I am sorry he was such a prick but so I believe are an awful lot of the people I admire. 
    Agreed. Great men have great faults. (That may be a bit trite.)

So much one could say about this. Simply put, it was despicable of him to be uninvolved. Of all people, he should’ve known the pain she must have felt.

Remote, inattentive fathers can do much damage to their daughters. 

Best..
    fotoformatjony0
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The fact that NeXT was a blip on the biography authorized by Steve should be a clue to god worshippers who never worked for the man that he was full of contradictions, especially when it suited his ends, the means be damned.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Are there any pictures of Lisa using a Lisa?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    As an undergraduate engineering student 35 years ago, my University made a large purchase of Lisas. We all got a $100/term assessment, only on engineering students, to pay for it. When installed, there was exactly no software to run them. They did nothing at all. I graduated after that term. $100 was a lot of money then. I still resent it.

15 years later, we got one for $50 as surplus. We used it as an email terminal. Rudimentary word processing was available by then. 
    d_2paxman
  • Reply 7 of 15

In the end, every dead person's persona is an amalgam of the opinions and viewpoints of the people around him.

I do not need to fit all the pieces together to try to figure out who Steve was. I have no interest in that.

What fascinates me is that he has such a profound impact on the world. That is what drove me to purchase the authorised biography and the "Becoming Steve Jobs" book. That is what will drive me to buy this book as well.

I do not want to solve the enigma of Jobs. I just find reading about it endlessly fascinating.

edited August 2018 mac_dogjony0
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The fact that NeXT was a blip on the biography authorized by Steve should be a clue to god worshippers who never worked for the man that he was full of contradictions, especially when it suited his ends, the means be damned.

To be fair, Steve didn't read the book before it was published, right?
  • Reply 9 of 15

In the end, every dead person's persona is an amalgam of the opinions and viewpoints of the people around him.

I do not need to fit all the pieces together to try to figure out who Steve was. I have no interest in that.

What fascinates me is that he has such a profound impact on the world. That is what drove me to purchase the authorised biography and the "Becoming Steve Jobs" book. That is what will drive me to buy this book as well.

I do not want to solve the enigma of Jobs. I just find reading about it endlessly fascinating.

I agree - SJ is endlessly fascinating. Complex, flawed, brilliant, high achieving people often are. We so much want to put them into categories and file them away as 'one thing', but it just can't be done.  In some ways he was head shakingly stupid  - a fruitarian, didn't wash (didn't smell he claimed), thought he could beat cancer with diet. He was also at times the most obnoxious person imaginable and was hugely vain, yet I suspect he had a big heart (at least when it came to larger issues beyond his immediate family and employees), but most of all (for us) he was a great thinker, a technological visionary and clearly he became a ceo and leader second to none. He was also flamboyant and contrarian. He was one of the 'crazy ones' in every sense of the word. :smile: 

mac_dog
  • Reply 10 of 15
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    To say that SJ was a deeply flawed person is to apologize too much for him. We're all flawed; SJ was an asshole. 

Now, did he mature over the years? Seems that he did, but it probably took at least him getting fired from Apple to have him look in the mirror.

That said, we're living a not to pleasant experience today because of SJ. His worst traits are being emulated and promoted as though they are the traits of great leaders. Thanks to the reification of SJ, we have Elon Musk calling British diver Vernon Unsworth, who participated in saving the Thai kids, a "pedo"; Travis Kalanick another despicable and unethical CEO; Elizabeth Holmes of Therano's fraud fame modeled herself on SJ, demanding personal loyalty above all, wearing black turtlenecks, etc; Jon Schnatter of Papa Johns. Such "great leaders" seem to be a dime a dozen these days -- I declined to name more, but many are obvious, many more are local and non-public miscreants many have to deal with. 

It's not clear Americans even are capable of producing or admiring or even following great leaders who are not assholes. 

gatorguy
  • Reply 11 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    paxman said:
    .... I already know he was a deeply flawed man, and I am sure this will just deepen that understanding. But on the other hand - had he been a lovely and caring being he would not have been Steve jobs and there would have been no Apple Mac. I am sorry he was such a prick but so I believe are an awful lot of the people I admire. 
    You obviously don't understand Steve, or creative genius or the autism that so often drives it.

Caring is caring -- it is not tied to caring for any one particular thing.
    Some people care about specific people (often themselves!)
    Some people care about humanity
    Some people care about justice and equality
    Some people care about animals
    Some people care about the environment
    Some people care about computers.

Who are you to judge that "THIS is caring -- and nothing else counts!"?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    paxman said:
    .... I already know he was a deeply flawed man, and I am sure this will just deepen that understanding. But on the other hand - had he been a lovely and caring being he would not have been Steve jobs and there would have been no Apple Mac. I am sorry he was such a prick but so I believe are an awful lot of the people I admire. 
    You obviously don't understand Steve, or creative genius or the autism that so often drives it.

Caring is caring -- it is not tied to caring for any one particular thing.
    Some people care about specific people (often themselves!)
    Some people care about humanity
    Some people care about justice and equality
    Some people care about animals
    Some people care about the environment
    Some people care about computers.

Who are you to judge that "THIS is caring -- and nothing else counts!"?
    Huh? Nit-picking much? 'Caring' in the pretty obvious generally understood sense of being considerate and caring for other people's well being and feelings. 
    Are you suggesting SJ was autistic?
    Like just about everybody on this site I feel that I understand SJ deeply, but as obviously neither of us truly do I guess we should assume that you understand him better, right? :smiley: 
    And where did I imply that nothing else counts?
    Geez...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    To be more and more original you have to reconsider deeper and deeper premises, but the deeper a premise the more upstream things it effects, even things seemingly unrelated to your field of endeavour. 

So as a result original people can sometimes be a bit odd, but it is less of a concern than it might ordinarily be, because it is a consequence of original ideas existing at a deep level, not sickness at a deep level. And on top of that highly intelligent people are often extremely moral and conscientious which further ameliorates any worry.

Societies that can be tolerant and diverse will benefit from these people.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Sure Jobs had great foresight and business sense, brought us some great world changing tech but from what I’ve read about him he just wasn’t a very nice person. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Chapter One: The Man I Barely Knew

I barely knew my father. I found out later in life he was none other than Steve Jobs.

THE END