Apple's HomePod seizes 'small but meaningful' portion of US smart speaker market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    If 2 HomePods are paired to output stereophonic sound, would they output it exactly like how it would be on a Hi-Fi system, as the record producer intended, or does it do its own audio magic?
     HomePod does its own audio magic. For example, it affects the phase of the high frequencies when it adjusts to its surroundings and tries to make it sound like a wide soundstage. Additionally it alters the tonal balance depending upon the volume it is set at.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Dewme is predicting the future, I think, unless Apple decides to make a "Siri only" cheap speaker (and they might well do that). For the people who mostly want to use voice commands to get information as a way of getting off their phone (or while they are doing other things), spyware devices like the Echo Dot and Google Home are ideal; they just suck at music, but TBF that's not what they're designed for, and mostly-assistant type speakers are cheap and useful to spread around the house.

Contrary to Gatorguy's claim, I have yet to read a review of any of the big three premium smart speakers that claims they are superior to the HomePod in sound quality -- only in the voice assistant. What I have read is that the Sonos One and Google Max offerings (only) are "close enough" in sound quality that most consumers (especially those who, er, lack a diversity in the kinds of music they listen to) won't really notice. Perhaps he could supply us with some links to reviews that say otherwise?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Any HomePod owners out there that also have a HomeKit door lock or garage door opener?  If so have you tried a ‘Hey Siri’ command to open the garage door or unlock the door, either from outside your home (e.g. though a closed or cracked open window, or even a closed door), or by calling your home landline and waiting for the beep on the answering machine to give the command?  The mics are so good, I’m guessing an unwanted individual might be able to pull this off to gain unauthorized access, assuming there are no voice recognition-based or other controls to prevent it.  If it works, does HomePod allow let you to manage Siri commands related to accessing your home?  I suppose an iPhone charging on the counter could also be triggered if the conditions were right. I’m also assuming that a Google Home or Alexa might also accomplish this kind of access.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra