Apple widens lead with iPad in contracting worldwide tablet market

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2018
Apple and Huawei were the only tablet manufacturers reporting sales growth in the most recent quarter.

iPad 2018

The tablet market worldwide showed a 13.5 percent decline in the second quarter, but Apple has widened its market share lead, according to statistics released Thursday by research firm IDC.

Apple, which in its earnings Tuesday reported that it sold 11.5 million iPad units in the quarter compared to 9.1 million the year before, joined Huawei as the only major tablet manufacturers to show growth.

Apple, IDC said, was helped by the launch of the new 2018 iPad this past spring, bringing it to 34.9 percent market share, up from 29.9 percent a year ago and maintaining the top spot worldwide.

"The launch of a newer iPad towards the end of the first quarter, combined with improvements to the OS and the renewed push into Education, seems to be paying off for the company," the report said.

"iPad unit sales grew for the fifth consecutive quarter and we gained significant share of the global tablet market based on the latest estimates from IDC," CFO Luca Maestri said on the earnings call Tuesday. "We recorded double-digit iPad unit growth in both our Greater China and rest of Asia Pacific segments with a new June quarter record for iPad sales in Mainland China. Almost half of iPad purchases in the quarter were by customers new to iPad and our active installed base of iPads reached a new all-time high."

IDC's market share numbers, August 2018

Samsung, despite declining year over year, remains the #2 tablet manufacturer, followed by Huawei, which has a strong position in the Asia/Pacific region. Lenovo is fourth and Amazon fifth.

Overall, both the detachable and slate categories declined in the quarter; the detachable category, IDC said, was hurt by high-profile product launches in the second quarter last year and an absence of them this year.

"The detachable market is at a crucial stage as it has been driven primarily by premium products from Microsoft and Apple and growth has slowed in recent months," Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Device Trackers, said in the announcement. "Though consumers and businesses alike have shown interest in the detachable form factor, those operating on tighter budgets have had very few options available to them and hence some have opted for traditional PCs.

Going by IDC's definitions, slate tablets, or traditional tablets, are "tablets without a dedicated keyboard." Detachable tablets such as the iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface are meant to work with a keyboard with an attachment like Apple's Smart Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple is doing well in this area. I wish they would consider lowering iPhone prices going forward. It's disheartening when an iPhone X starts at €1,179 in your country. It may be a reasonably popular phone, but that's for people with a fair chunk of money. Steve said Apple would lower iPhone pricing over time, but Apple has went the opposite direction. It's a shame for us who like Apple gear and who are not invested in AAPL to hear the silly justifications for the pricing.
    elijahgavon b7
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Now that iPads are back in palatable prices in Brazil a lot of people I know are going to upgrade to a new one!!!

And some are buying their first Apple product.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I have been waiting for the 2018 product releases.  I will buy 2 Macs, 2 iPads, and 2 Phones. While the technology prior to now , Augus 2, 2018 is great, I usually buy for the long term and I want up to date products that will function exceedingly well going forward.  They don't have to be the speediest MacBook Pro.  But they have to have what I forecast is coming.  Long time AAPL holder (1984).  I am very pleased with the stock prices this week and that AAPL is "all of a sudden" a Buy on some "Anal-ist's"  lists.  Yes, you could roll the dice on any given day, and win or lose.  But . . .  Look who has all of the $'s. They get my Votes.  The coming iOS and OSx and products are going to be even more fantastic.

The fact that all of my products work seamlessly is great.  No, I don't use all the software available - who can ? But what I use is fabulous & easy to use.  My wife hardly ever asks me to "fix" her Mac.  It just works !  The others are weak in this area.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Only reason to buy the cheap knockoffs is price.

That's it.

I do wish Apple would put more attention into iPad and get to those iPod marketshare numbers. It's embarrassing when their iPhones are more powerful than their iPads. Steve Jobs wanted iPad to be the new computer but nowadays its in an odd place between worse than iPhone and media device. A great gift but in 2018 you'd think it would be the choice for media creation(movies, video games), office apps, innovation etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    What a crappy chart style. 
    brakken
  • Reply 6 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Despite MS' excellent marketing for their Surface product they still don't even have enough marketshare to be outside of the Other category.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    claire1 said:

That's it.

I do wish Apple would put more attention into iPad and get to those iPod marketshare numbers. It's embarrassing when their iPhones are more powerful than their iPads. Steve Jobs wanted iPad to be the new computer but nowadays its in an odd place between worse than iPhone and media device. A great gift but in 2018 you'd think it would be the choice for media creation(movies, video games), office apps, innovation etc.
    Actually there are a numberof reasons to buy tabletsother than Apples.    If you are a developer of limited distribution apps orone off apps iPad / iOS canbe a pain apples attitude too.  Same goes for a one off implementation that requires USB port access.   In the end Apple doesnt loose on price but rather on freedom. 

As for attention to hardware that is a huge understatement.  Except for a few notables Apples entire hardware line up is outdated.   Now with iPad Apples avenues for innovation are limited, much as it is for iPhone.    The one big opportunity center though is AI, especially the hardware to accelerate software related to this field.   As such i really dont understand their wasting time with no A11X  yet.  Getting AI supporting hardware and the associated software should be of the highest priority at Apple.  It could be as short as five years where this tech will define the industry, the winners and losers.  
  • Reply 8 of 15
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    "Apple, which in its earnings Tuesday reported that it sold 11.5 million iPad units in the quarter compared to 9.1 million the year before" This is not accurate. They sold 11.5 million in the most recent quarter, compared to 11.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    claire1 said:

That's it.

True. We’re still waiting on the major iPad refresh.  It looks like it will have ios12 and be ready in time for the holidays...

I’m receiving ads from T-mobile for $99 iPhone 6s (I assume made in India). Which is great news because my aging 6s will be supported for years to come.

I think we’re seeing some backlash from the high priced iPhone X, which is great for consumers tired of Android BS.  If Apple keeps offering $99 iPhones most people will own one (rather than Androids) and be tied into Apples superior ecosystem.

I’ll be a $99 phone guy and spend my money on iPads forever...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    GulaakGulaak Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    ireland said:
    Apple is doing well in this area. I wish they would consider lowering iPhone prices going forward. It's disheartening when an iPhone X starts at €1,179 in your country. It may be a reasonably popular phone, but that's for people with a fair chunk of money. Steve said Apple would lower iPhone pricing over time, but Apple has went the opposite direction. It's a shame for us who like Apple gear and who are not invested in AAPL to hear the silly justifications for the pricing.
    I think it's a bit disingenuous to want the top of the line mobile phone that Apple makes for a cheaper price. Apple makes an iPhone 8, 8 Plus for a cheaper price and you can always purchase a 7 or 7 Plus for a very good price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    The "detachable category" - the category invented to show that Apple was failing somewhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Each new iPad that comes out I am truly very impressed at the rate of advancement. 

However when I am at working I am at a desk, in which case a computer is a better fit, in terms of power and ergonomics. Otherwise I am out and about in which case a phone is great, or maybe in future an Apple Watch, also for ergonomic reasons. Just *where* am I supposed to use an iPad? 

It seems to be intended for places with a chair-but-not-a-table. So a car seat, an airplane seat, or the living room when your partner is watching TV and you don't want to. But in today's world you need a break from computers sometimes! And these are the places where you grab it. So its very form factor, suited as it is for these places, makes it unwelcome. That is why it always sits there on the coffee table with people watching it warily out of the corner of their eye. :)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    ireland said:
    I saw UK anyway (realizing your Ireland not part of UK) is top country to buy refurbished Apple iPhones. And U.S. was No.2, if memory serves, from a recent BAML mammoth survey of nearly 50,000 smartphone users. Imagine many X owners may trade up to Plus size this year, so more options and price points will be available.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Pretty crappy reason considering the dozens of reasons to not buy a crappy knock-off, not least of which may be usability, value, security, updates, games and integrity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    I believe older models of some iPhones are still sold and they are typically reduced in price. Naturally, the first year a new model is out it will feature a premium price.
    watto_cobra