Apple's Cook calls $1 trillion value 'milestone,' says result of corporate values

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    $1 Trillion dollars isn't quite as impressive when adjusted for inflation. In 1918, five generations in the past it equaled $60,000,000
  • Reply 22 of 34
    mr.wilsyn said:
    $1 Trillion dollars isn't quite as impressive when adjusted for inflation. In 1918, five generations in the past it equaled $60,000,000
    None of us — as far as I know — lives in 1918, so your point, with all due respect, makes no sense. 
    ronnnetmagepscooter63muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    mr.wilsyn said:
    So did we miss when a company was worth $60,000,000 in 1918?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mr.wilsyn said:
    There weren't any companies worth even close to $60bn in 1917.  The first U.S. company to top a single $bn was US Steel, and that was in 1903.  That's equivalent to about $30bn when inflation-adjusted.

By 1917 (presumably not that different from 1918), U.S. Steel was still the most valuable company in the USA, but it still only had a market cap of $46.4 inflation-adjusted.

$1tn is very impressive.
    edited August 2018 anantksundarampscooter63ronn
  • Reply 25 of 34
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    crowley said:
    mr.wilsyn said:
    There weren't any companies worth even close to $60bn in 1917.  The first U.S. company to top a single $bn was US Steel, and that was in 1903.  That's equivalent to about $30bn when inflation-adjusted.

By 1917 (presumably not that different from 1918), U.S. Steel was still the most valuable company in the USA, but it still only had a market cap of $46.4 inflation-adjusted.

$1tn is very impressive.

$60,000,000 = 60 million, not 60 billion. Not that it matters to me ... just that it seems you went to all that trouble to Google and all, which suggests a level of pride in accuracy to me. So, I thought I’d help out a bit. I’m also not sure if the person you quoted meant to actually type $60,000,000. Maybe they meant to type $60,000,000,000? In which case, you’d probably be right ... but again, it doesn’t matter very much to me.
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    By bad for not double checking and missing a comma. 60 Billion is correct figure.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    On the day that Apple became the first trillion dollar company on the planet, it’s worth remembering this quote from Jobs: “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying ‘we’ve done something wonderful’ – that’s what matters to me.”

That corporate value is probably associated with what made them the wealthiest company on the planet. 
    The first public TD company, but not the first trillion dollar company. 
    Anything to throw water on the party, right? Gotta get those “yeah, but” digs in, right? But then you may be like the slave riding in the chariot with the conquering Roman general holding the laurel wreath over his head and whispering in his ear, “Remember, thou art mortal.”

Well, it's not "the first trillion dollar company on the planet". That is utterly wrong, some companies hit three trillion dollars. The correct description, it's the first publicly traded company to hit a trillion dollars.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    On the day that Apple became the first trillion dollar company on the planet, it’s worth remembering this quote from Jobs: “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying ‘we’ve done something wonderful’ – that’s what matters to me.”

That corporate value is probably associated with what made them the wealthiest company on the planet. 
    The first public TD company, but not the first trillion dollar company. 
    Anything to throw water on the party, right? Gotta get those “yeah, but” digs in, right? But then you may be like the slave riding in the chariot with the conquering Roman general holding the laurel wreath over his head and whispering in his ear, “Remember, thou art mortal.”

Well, it's not "the first trillion dollar company on the planet". That is utterly wrong, some companies hit three trillion dollars. The correct description, it's the first publicly traded company to hit a trillion dollars.
    How was the valuation for these other companies arrived at? 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 34
    hippohippo Posts: 25member
    PetroChina (PTR on New York Stock Exchange) was the first publicly-traded $1 trillion company
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/petrochina-did-not-fare-well-after-reaching-1-trillion-in-market-cap.html

• Reply 30 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hippo said:
    PetroChina (PTR on New York Stock Exchange) was the first publicly-traded $1 trillion company
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/petrochina-did-not-fare-well-after-reaching-1-trillion-in-market-cap.html

It was one trillion for a few seconds and then fell in a fracking hole, so it's "valuation" wasn't really that high at all; more a speculative bubble akin to gambling.
    The company is also half owned by the gov, which puts a kink in that too..

Inflation adjusted value of IBM in the late 1960s is closer to exceeding Apple than anything else.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    ansdguyansdguy Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Rayz2016 said:
    This is PRECISELY how I would expect the world’s best tech CEO to react. 

The 1 trillion thing isn’t a target (as the bloggers would have you believe); it’s a happy side effect. 

The only problem now of course is that we’ll have to put up with every Apple whine being prefixed with some derivative of “Why can’t a trillion dollar company …”

”Why can’t a trillion dollar company give me a massive 17-inch screen laptop with two parallel ports, four SCSI ports, a built-in vegetable juicer and keyboard with solid gold key switches for $699 including tax?? I mean they’re a trillion dollar company for Christ’s sake!”

What the whiners will forget, of course, is that this incredibly insignificant side effect came about because Apple focuses on its core customer base as it evolves, not on a handful of vocal forum dwellers who can’t. 
    Sorry, man, but you do seem to me to be whining abut what you considersilly or no big deal. As for myself, I'm going to qwhile about $1300 early 2016 Macbook. I've come to hate it. I alrealy had the topcase replace under warranty and now it really pretty much just problematic. Why take the MacBook back in for service, when it will have the same issue in a few months? This faulty keys drive me nuts! They "butterfly" keys were a bad idea and clearly didn't undergo real world testing. I don't know avout you, but I can't run out a replace it with something more reliable. Now they're testing something like rubber dam, a flexible material under these key (Only on the new models). Those that have tried this Band-Aid fix say that it's a failure, still. I would think that a "benevolant" comany worth a TRILLION dollars could make me whole and everyone else that has these issues.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 32 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    duervo said:
    crowley said:
    mr.wilsyn said:

$1tn is very impressive.

$60,000,000 = 60 million, not 60 billion. Not that it matters to me ... just that it seems you went to all that trouble to Google and all, which suggests a level of pride in accuracy to me. So, I thought I’d help out a bit. I’m also not sure if the person you quoted meant to actually type $60,000,000. Maybe they meant to type $60,000,000,000? In which case, you’d probably be right ... but again, it doesn’t matter very much to me.
    $60m in 1917 would be worth around $1bn today, not $1tn, so they made a mistake.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    slurpy said:
    The little kids will continue screeching for Tim's head, as he proves all the haters wrong, again, and again, and again, culminating in yet another ridiculously impressive milestone. I firmly believe no one else at Apple or outside of Apple could have sailed the ship as well as he has after Jobs. 
    1000% agreed.

I’ve always felt that way. Now all Tim needs to do is make sure siri is fixed (biggest oversight by him by far), make sure the entertainment stuff isn’t a PC boring disaster, and put the pedal to the medal on the maps stuff (so happy/excited about that). 

With the improved maps, and promising Siri developments, my faith in Apple (and Tim) has been restored. I’m so happy to go back to being a huge fan, as well as avid consumer.

Hoping for an expansion of the HomePod line (smaller *and* bigger) ..and please release the gd Air Power mat!

Stretch goal: Tim/Apple are uniquely positioned to help heal the bizarre, extreme, and irrational political divide in the US; I hope progress can be made here (there already has been some, very grateful to Tim for that). 
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr.wilsyn said:
    None of us — as far as I know — lives in 1918, so your point, with all due respect, makes no sense. 
    “When I was a kid, you could buy a house and a car for a nickel!”
    watto_cobra