Apple joins smart home mesh networking standards group Thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    gatorguy said:
    I admit that I do not understand the technology and issues behind smart home devices.
    But, my largest consideration of these devices is with security.  How likely am I to be spied on by one of these devices?  And, likewise, how likely is it one of these devices could be hacked to perform malicious/capricious acts in my home (from minor acts of annoyance to major disruptions).

But, it seems that all of the emphasis is on developing functionality.  Functionality will come.  Look at any new tech product and you will see the same growth curve.

But. security is optional.

The only company I feel I can trust to protect my security is Apple.  Therefor, I wish that Apple would take an active role in designing, producing and marketing complete, integrated solutions of these home devices -- where every piece of the system, both hardware and software is Apple designed, produced and supported.  And, one where security is embedded from the start and is an integral part of the system.
    Thread is considered to be very secure FWIW.
    "Secure" is always a relative thing.   And, part of the equation is the organization behind the wall or the black box not just the technology.

Your emails are secure on Google's servers.  But, there's a reason why healthcare organizations still use Fax machines.
    Because they consider a fax more secure?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    mbsmd said:
    Almost gives me hope for Nest products in HomeKit.

Not for me. Not with it being owned by Google. With Google admitting that it takes your information into their servers, something which Nest denied shortly being bought by Google, I would never let it into my home.

i wondered why Google would bother with this. Then I realized that there is the only reason. That’s that Google never comes out with hardware or software that doesn’t have the express purpose of gathering information on you that they haven’t been able to collect another way.

the Nest knows when you wake up, when you leave for work, when you get home, when you go to bed. It also knows how late you stay up on weekends, and when you wake up. It knows when you go on vacations too. So now Google has that information for advertisers, and if the government gets a warrant, it can get that also.

nope! Not for me.
    Thread is not controlled by Google. It was given by them to the open-source community some time ago. That Apple would be interested in joining the initiative should be reason enough to trust the security of it IMO. Besides, if they're ALL in cahoots what's your option anyway? 
    What? I was responding to the post about Nest, not thread.
    oooohhhh...
    Sorry then. 

But you can always opt out of sharing, a good idea if there's no benefit to it. Better yet turn off the wifi connection and rest easy. For me sharing makes sense since integration with Google Home offers me value. For you maybe not. FWIW no personal information nor identifiable linked use information is shared for any advertising or marketing purposes if that's your concern. 
    https://nest.com/legal/privacy-statement-for-nest-products-and-services/
    Don’t believe their policy. We’ve already seen that it’s not as airtight as some think. And we really don’t know what goes behind the scenes. Tracking software knows more about you than you may realize. Linking that software’s info with their other software gives them even more info. I find it hard to believe that when these Ads track me all over, that those companies don’t know more than they let on.

We know that Google is less than honest. That’s not new. That entire ruckus about the Streetview cars capturing WiFi information, and even passwords was played off by Google as actions of an “enthusiastic engineer” who wasn’t authorized to do that. But that’s B.S. as we later found out, the rather complex software that was installed in equipment in each car that itself had no valid Streetview function, was written by Google for that very purpose, and was even patented by them. The hardware must have cost tens of millions. It’s hard to see how a lone engineer could have done all that.

we saw Volkswagen give the same excuse, until it was found that most top executives including the CEO knew about it, and apparently approved it. We saw a similar thing with Facebook and others.

it seems that companies who do these things try to blame some lonely employee, or a small group of them for what is really company policy. So when you say their policy is this or that, I say BS. Their policy is to make as much money as possible and lie when caught.

it reminds me when Schmitt was asked what “Do no evil” meant. I figured he would say something about specific actions written in a policy statement. But instead he said that it means whatever Larry Paige said it meant at any given time.
    edited August 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    IreneW said:
    gatorguy said:
    I admit that I do not understand the technology and issues behind smart home devices.
    But, my largest consideration of these devices is with security.  How likely am I to be spied on by one of these devices?  And, likewise, how likely is it one of these devices could be hacked to perform malicious/capricious acts in my home (from minor acts of annoyance to major disruptions).

But, it seems that all of the emphasis is on developing functionality.  Functionality will come.  Look at any new tech product and you will see the same growth curve.

The only company I feel I can trust to protect my security is Apple.  Therefor, I wish that Apple would take an active role in designing, producing and marketing complete, integrated solutions of these home devices -- where every piece of the system, both hardware and software is Apple designed, produced and supported.  And, one where security is embedded from the start and is an integral part of the system.
    "Secure" is always a relative thing.   And, part of the equation is the organization behind the wall or the black box not just the technology.

Your emails are secure on Google's servers.  But, there's a reason why healthcare organizations still use Fax machines.
    Yep -- so you don't have your medical info sitting on a Google server out there somewhere waiting to be sold.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 24 of 26
    melgross said:

the Nest knows when you wake up, when you leave for work, when you get home, when you go to bed. It also knows how late you stay up on weekends, and when you wake up. It knows when you go on vacations too.

Dammit! Nest is Santa? "He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness' sake"!

• Reply 25 of 26
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    IreneW said:
    gatorguy said:

Yep -- so you don't have your medical info sitting on a Google server out there somewhere waiting to be sold.
    Instead just sending it wide open on an easily accessible copper wire. Makes sense...

I'm not saying that using Gmail is a good idea (iand plain SMTP is no better),, but fax, seriously?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    IreneW said:
    IreneW said:
    gatorguy said:

Instead just sending it wide open on an easily accessible copper wire. Makes sense...

I'm not saying that using Gmail is a good idea (iand plain SMTP is no better),, but fax, seriously?
    Seriously...