Doug Field returns to Apple's 'Project Titan' after stint at Tesla

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    DAalseth said:
    My guess is Field was brought back so Mansfield can retire. Apparently he’s tried to retire twice. But bringing him back and hiring someone from Google’s Waymo project tells me this project isn’t just about software but an actual vehicle. What if Apple was designing its own autonomous/self driving vehicles to support a new ride-sharing service?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Apple is one of the few organizations that could bankroll Musk's bid. Apple and Tesla's systems would work well together. Plus while apple has a software platform, Tesla actually builds a car. That was always the problem with all this talk of an Apple Car. Apple has no knowledge or experience making things like doors or windshields or drivetrains. Tesla does. add Apple Software to Tesla's software and you'd have something fantastic.

MacPro said:
    I bet it was al agreed, part of the joint plan and the so-called spat between Tesla and Apple was a cover-up.  Maybe Apple is the secret sugar daddy for Musk going private?  OK, I haven't had my coffee yet ;)

The Saudis are the ones providing Musk with billions to go private, if it’s approved.
    After the conniption fit the Saudis are having with Canada, I think a lot of people and companies around the world are having second thoughts about dealing with them. They may have deep pockets but those pockets are in a pair of crazypants. I don't think you can trust them not to do something stupid. I would not take money from them if there was any other option. Too many possible strings. 

Apple would never bankroll Tesla. What for? They have practically nothing of value in terms of IP. And they are terrible at ramping up production and building vehicles. Tesla's knowledge of building cars is only "slightly" above Apple, and light years behind the established automakers. One only has to look at how they screwed up the Model 3 ramp up for proof. Or look at the Model S on a hoist. They are so poorly built that no two vehicles are identical (esp true of the first few years). Autobody shops HATE working on them because of this inconsistency. How are you supposed to repair a vehicle when it doesn't even confirm to the specifications it's supposedly built to? Shops I've talked to (that specialize in high-end and aluminum vehicles) say the Model S reminds them of kit cars.

If Apple partners with an automaker I'm convinced it would be VW or BMW.
    Apple could attempt a leveraged buyout (LBO) of BMW, but the family that owns the controlling shares isn't likely to want to do that. Apple is partnering with VW to a small extent on Transporters for the Apple campus. I could see VW partner with Apple on ruggedized vehicles designed specifically for 24/7 commercial service, like ride sharing, but not anything targeted for consumers.

One of the big problems with Tesla service is the lack of smart parts for service or repair after an accident. That's a no go for people who buy Tesla's as daily drivers. It's creating a huge backlash in the Norwegian market.

Maybe it's time to mention Solar City;

https://mansionengineer.com/2018/08/10/elon-musk-tesla-and-the-solar-roof-tile-fraud/

edited August 2018
  • Reply 42 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

k2kw said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    My guess is Field was brought back so Mansfield can retire. Apparently he’s tried to retire twice. But bringing him back and hiring someone from Google’s Waymo project tells me this project isn’t just about software but an actual vehicle. What if Apple was designing its own autonomous/self driving vehicles to support a new ride-sharing service?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Apple is one of the few organizations that could bankroll Musk's bid. Apple and Tesla's systems would work well together. Plus while apple has a software platform, Tesla actually builds a car. That was always the problem with all this talk of an Apple Car. Apple has no knowledge or experience making things like doors or windshields or drivetrains. Tesla does. add Apple Software to Tesla's software and you'd have something fantastic.
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. 
    What? Apple has been testing self driving car systems for a number of years now. They are looking at deploying self driving shuttles between their campuses. 
    As far as Musk not being a Jobs, SpaceX? Tesla? Musk has lots of really creative ideas and has pulled them off for the most part. No one is Steve Jobs. But Musk is daring, imaginative, creative and goes through with what he promises. Musk will go down with Jobs and Edison, and Ford and a lot of other major figures in this space.
    Musk says that Telsa will be able to pull off Full Self Driving using just his camera based visionAI while everyone else like Waymo says that you need LIDAR which makes it prohibitively expensive to put on private passenger automobiles (plus the oversized hardware looks horrible).   This seems to limit LIDAR to self driving car services.    I believe that Apple has the skill's to both miniaturize LIDAR and make it less expensive.   This would put any Apple Car in first place with customers.  So I do hope they bring Titan out of deep sleep and make an EV or Apple takes a major stake in Tesla and brings their skills to help Tesla.
    "Musk says"...

Elon's statements have a known, and very poor correlation, with reality.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    k2kw said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. 
    What? Apple has been testing self driving car systems for a number of years now. They are looking at deploying self driving shuttles between their campuses. 
    As far as Musk not being a Jobs, SpaceX? Tesla? Musk has lots of really creative ideas and has pulled them off for the most part. No one is Steve Jobs. But Musk is daring, imaginative, creative and goes through with what he promises. Musk will go down with Jobs and Edison, and Ford and a lot of other major figures in this space.
    Musk says that Telsa will be able to pull off Full Self Driving using just his camera based visionAI while everyone else like Waymo says that you need LIDAR which makes it prohibitively expensive to put on private passenger automobiles (plus the oversized hardware looks horrible).   This seems to limit LIDAR to self driving car services.    I believe that Apple has the skill's to both miniaturize LIDAR and make it less expensive. 
    It has already been miniaturized, and there are less expensive ones available. . 
  • Reply 44 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    I bet it was al agreed, part of the joint plan and the so-called spat between Tesla and Apple was a cover-up.  Maybe Apple is the secret sugar daddy for Musk going private?  OK, I haven't had my coffee yet ;)

The Saudis are the ones providing Musk with billions to go private, if it’s approved.
    Hence I said I was kidding ... :)