Apple Services and the ecosystem of value capture

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,904member
    A lot of people bemoan Apple’s apps as being not very powerful. For example they rail on Numbers because it doesn’t support AppleScript very well and thus it can’t compete with Excel but I’ve not seen anything that proves that. The only thing that Excel seems to do that Numbers can’t is read data from another spreadsheet. But I can do thing in Numbers that requires Visual Basic knowledge I’m Excel.

Take for example checkboxes. In Numbers I simply change the format of the field to be a checkbox then create a formula that references that checkbox. To do the same thing in Windows you have to write a screed of VB code which is time consuming and daunting for your average person.

One of the more complex and useful functions that Excel can do is matrix functions.. Is there an equivalent in Numbers?
    Yeh that and a lot more...
    For power users Apple's Numbers simply isn't in the same ball park as EXCEL.   Not even close.  EXCEL is a pro level product that can function only a step removed from a programmable relational database.  One of the coolest things I did as a systems analyst was build a system that integrated a mainframe financial system with a Microsoft Access database and EXCEL -- seamlessly shifting and manipulating data back and forth between them.   I could never have done that with Apple's Numbers.

But, that said, for the average user, Numbers is a perfectly fine solid product that does it's job well.   Perhaps the comparison of an i9 MBP to a MacBook would be best.

But it's important to realize that (I believe) Apple was not trying to build another EXCEL when they created Numbers.   Instead they just wanted to cover the mainstream consumer -- and they did, and did it well.
    Using MS Access is NOT cool. It’s been the freaking bane of my 18 years in IT. It’s a crap product and anyone loving it needs a bullet between the eyes.  :)
    Yeah I was thinking about replying to this...as an enterprise app dev, a portion of my contracting career was just replacing these jury-rigged Excel/Access home-growns and replacing with a proper database.   
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Like it or not, but Microsoft Office is the deFacto standard in the business world.  I tried to wean myself off of it and go strictly to iWork, and it was a disaster.  We generate excel documents and Numbers just cannot translate the formatting, and cell-style formulas properly.  It was way, WAY too much of a headache.

That being said, in terms of Apple services, I am happy to contribute to it.  Sure, there are "free" services, but in the end those "free" services end up costing more, or causing me to sacrifice something and that I am just not willing to do anymore.  It annoys me when people wonder why I pay for iCloud (for example), when there are "free" options like GoogleDrive.  Many now believe (entitled?) that no one should pay for anything, as if engineers sustain themselves on pixie dust and unicorn shavings?

claire1canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,416member
    A lot of people bemoan Apple’s apps as being not very powerful. For example they rail on Numbers because it doesn’t support AppleScript very well and thus it can’t compete with Excel but I’ve not seen anything that proves that. The only thing that Excel seems to do that Numbers can’t is read data from another spreadsheet. But I can do thing in Numbers that requires Visual Basic knowledge I’m Excel.

Take for example checkboxes. In Numbers I simply change the format of the field to be a checkbox then create a formula that references that checkbox. To do the same thing in Windows you have to write a screed of VB code which is time consuming and daunting for your average person.

One of the more complex and useful functions that Excel can do is matrix functions.. Is there an equivalent in Numbers?
    For power users Apple's Numbers simply isn't in the same ball park as EXCEL.   Not even close.  EXCEL is a pro level product that can function only a step removed from a programmable relational database.  One of the coolest things I did as a systems analyst was build a system that integrated a mainframe financial system with a Microsoft Access database and EXCEL -- seamlessly shifting and manipulating data back and forth between them.   I could never have done that with Apple's Numbers.

But, that said, for the average user, Numbers is a perfectly fine solid product that does it's job well.   Perhaps the comparison of an i9 MBP to a MacBook would be best.

But it's important to realize that (I believe) Apple was not trying to build another EXCEL when they created Numbers.   Instead they just wanted to cover the mainstream consumer -- and they did, and did it well.
    Using MS Access is NOT cool. It’s been the freaking bane of my 18 years in IT. It’s a crap product and anyone loving it needs a bullet between the eyes.  :)
    You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

MS Access, like most of MS's "pro-level" software is a UX DISASTER, and using DB's and applications built upon them is a migraine-enducion nightmare!

Being in IT for 25+ years now, and having switched fully to Apple products in 2010, I have a saying...

Microsoft products keep me employed, Apple products keep me going.

If there was no PC or Windows, I'd have a LOT more time on my hands to pursue hobbies or other creative endeavours, as Apple products and ecosystems have proven VASTLY superior and reliable to anything out of Redmond. But, alas, Redmond is entrenched in the minds of countless corporate white-collar IT department managers, and until those idiots are shown the door, it'll continue to be an unending struggle in the world of IT.
    Do you really think that...

macOS Server > Windows Server / Exchange Server
    iWorks > MS Office
    iCloud > Office 365
    Filemaker > Access / SQL Server
    Apple Enterprise / Business ecosystem > MS Enterprise / Business ecosystem?

And instead of blaming IT (or idiots as you call them), maybe you should blame Apple.  Had you notice how bad are the management tools they provide?  Compare that to MS tools, which are very good, and you can even manage devices, applications and services from Apple, Google / Android, and many variants of Linux. 

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Yeah I was thinking about replying to this...as an enterprise app dev, a portion of my contracting career was just replacing these jury-rigged Excel/Access home-growns and replacing with a proper database.   
    I don't doubt that.   From a pro level IT perspective these things are dangerous junk.

But, just to bring it full circle:  the whole discussion started by comparing Numbers to Excel.  And, from a power user standpoint, Excel wins hands down -- and part of that is its Apple like ability to integrate with a sister product:   Access.

Apple's Numbers can't do anything like that.   Comparatively, it's a lightweight.  But, it does do what it was meant to do very well:   Meet the needs of the average non-pro, casual user.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Folio said:
    "Apple is just getting started in Value Capture."

In e-commerce, Apple has great potential in the mid- and high end. Companies like Nike and Adidas would probably rather sell direct to consumer through Apple’s app, where they get data, can make enticements, post reviews, and collect a higher profit margin versus offering through a giant such as Amazon or Target, which might undermine your branded shirt or shoes. What does Nike or Adidas app get from Apple? Easy click selling and shipping via Apple Pay and stored address. For me, it’s been more frictionless than Amazon Prime (of which I’m a member).

For prospective vendors, there is a reason to prefer an app to tap an ecosystem that is 3x or 4x bigger than Amazon Prime member pool, and at least as prosperous. At Amazon, there is little control and always the worry that Amazon will undermine your product by placements, an Amazon Choice tag on a rival product,  or promoting an in-house Amazon private label, etc. 

My hunch is this great potential in ecommerce is partly what attracted Google AI chief to move to Apple and upgrade Siri. Next-gen Siri shopping combined with AR showcases of prospective couches in your home or shirt on your chest. We are just in the early stages of Apple e-commerce juggernaut. 

Long ago I suggested Apple make a default "Shop" app that feels more like a mall with mid and high-end brands and stores. Apple doesn't have to beat Amazon but if they can take away 20% of Amazons monopoly with more profit then that's good enough.

Folio said:

It sounds outrageous with Apple crossing the trillion dollar milestone, but more analysts seem more enthralled by Amazon and Bezos. Yet in the next five years, with Amazon and Apple now nearly equal in market cap, I’m betting both will grow earnings but Apple’s multiple is more likely to expand, and Amazon’s to contract. I enjoyed the critique of early Apple in this editorial, how the company changed its position, and is poised for future. I hope the author is also building file for future pieces on what can go wrong? What might derail Apple in five or ten years? It seems luxury brands have immense staying power over decades and centuries. I see Apple as a premium brand, more like Starbucks (but I hope less vulnerable).

One of my crazier suggestions was Apple acquire Starbucks. It actually has more pros than cons and would be the new Beats where no one would understand it at first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Karl FitzgeraldKarl Fitzgerald Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Interesting concept of value capture in the App shop - 3rd party developers giving Apple more 'land' in terms of the new product. I was surprised that you didnt go into more detail on the royalties Apple charges. Some 30% on itunes is highway robbery. Such a pursuit of rent-seeking will surely shoot itself in the foot as more artists move to Bandcamp etc where royalties are more reasonable. The data-rents you mention in the last section hint at a future were our user experience is one day sold to these silicon giants via a block chain that we the user control. What a pity lobbied governments and captured regulators are so slow to clock on to the potentials for all.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree that services are a good source of revenue that Apple is nicely capturing, but one thing about services that is changing lately is their stickiness. For services to be sticky, people have to have invested in their library (whether its an app library, music library, or video library). 

But the prices of all these things are trending to zero. Music libraries aren't really libraries any more, they just all you can eat. Apps are becoming free to download, with in-app purchase of items that are then tied to your game account, not your Apple account, so if you go to Android all that is kept. Movies are rapidly approaching the same status as music with services like Netflix (they are not there yet for new releases, but a library of any significant size has to be mostly old releases almost by definition).

So you can build shops around your railway station to capture that revenue but the shops aren't handing out loyalty cards like they used to.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,904member

I don't doubt that.   From a pro level IT perspective these things are dangerous junk.

But, just to bring it full circle:  the whole discussion started by comparing Numbers to Excel.  And, from a power user standpoint, Excel wins hands down -- and part of that is its Apple like ability to integrate with a sister product:   Access.

Apple's Numbers can't do anything like that.   Comparatively, it's a lightweight.  But, it does do what it was meant to do very well:   Meet the needs of the average non-pro, casual user.
    Agreed that Excel is probably better suited for office environment, which I use at work as well. And at home I use Numbers...Partly because I like its UI better, and partly because Microsoft now wants an annual subscription to edit Office documents from iOS devices. Ain’t no way... So Numbers it is. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 30 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    MacMD said:
    “press releases paraphrased by people who can't get real jobs and have no actual experience working in the industry“

So.....what is a real job according to you?
    The real jobs in journalism have been slashed to the bone, particularly in the cutthroat tech industry which is even more driven to clickbait than the general news business.

Most of the people writing headlines and "generating content" are just paraphrasing existing writing, all the way back to a PR issued by a company. And most of the original work they add to it is a series of tired, false narrative lines. But I'm sure you've noticed this. 

Unfortunately, real jobs in journalism (like Jobs' comment to Obama on US assembly jobs): they aren't coming back. 
    Still, would be nice to not see these types of articles in the first place because they're not written by a journalist.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,296member
    danvm said:

MS Access, like most of MS's "pro-level" software is a UX DISASTER, and using DB's and applications built upon them is a migraine-enducion nightmare!

Being in IT for 25+ years now, and having switched fully to Apple products in 2010, I have a saying...

If there was no PC or Windows, I'd have a LOT more time on my hands to pursue hobbies or other creative endeavours, as Apple products and ecosystems have proven VASTLY superior and reliable to anything out of Redmond. But, alas, Redmond is entrenched in the minds of countless corporate white-collar IT department managers, and until those idiots are shown the door, it'll continue to be an unending struggle in the world of IT.

iWorks > MS Office
    iCloud > Office 365

And instead of blaming IT (or idiots as you call them), maybe you should blame Apple.  Had you notice how bad are the management tools they provide?  Compare that to MS tools, which are very good, and you can even manage devices, applications and services from Apple, Google / Android, and many variants of Linux. 

Spoken like a true MS admin...

If you knew anything about the state of management of macOS, you'd know their management tools are FAR SUPERIOR to that mess MS maintains.

And yes, I'd take Apple Enterprise, FileMaker, macOS over the junk from MS any day of the week, because their management is FAR better.

Look up some of the management platforms for macOS then come talk to me.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,416member
    danvm said:

iWorks > MS Office
    iCloud > Office 365

If you knew anything about the state of management of macOS, you'd know their management tools are FAR SUPERIOR to that mess MS maintains.

And yes, I'd take Apple Enterprise, FileMaker, macOS over the junk from MS any day of the week, because their management is FAR better.

Look up some of the management platforms for macOS then come talk to me.
    If you notice, I was talking about the tools Apple provide, not tools from 3rd party.  Companies like Jamf are are doing an excellent job to bring Apple devices to business / enterprise, not Apple.  Recently MS + Jamf announce a partnership to manage Apple devices. 

Don't you think that would be something Apple could have done years ago?  But they didn't.  Jamf and MS are the ones taking the lead.  Could it be that MS later acquire Jamf?  I think it could be nice if it happens

Maybe you consider Apple tools far superior, but I don't think that MS is as bad as you said, considering the long list of enterprises with critical applications running and being managed by MS applications, tools and services.

You mention "Apple enterprise", but does really  Apple have solutions and services designed for the enterprise?  Do you have a case study of a large business / enterprise that uses iCloud, macOS Server, iWorks or Filemaker?  I haven't seen them, and that opened the door for MS, among others, to control the enterprise space.  Again, don't blame the "idiots" from IT when it's Apple to blame for not providing the tools