Group FaceTime won't be available for initial iOS 12 or macOS Mojave release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Of course it won’t. Apple’s known for previewing features years ahead of actually releasing them now.

appletim said:
    …exponentially more… …bandwidth… 
    In what fantasy world do you live?
    If bandwidth had grown exponentially at one iteration per year since iChat could handle 4 connections, assuming a 100 mbps Ethernet connection, we would be at 1 with 28 zeros after it, mbps. That number is so large it doesn’t have a name. 
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Why does the Mac alway suck the hind tit with features to iOS?!  Mac was the FIRST platform, and should be leading or at least on feature-parity w/iOS devices.  You know, Apple should really accelerate the iOS apps on macOS execution, that is what should really ship this fall w/Mojave!  Doing so would give Mac a much-needed infusion of fresh apps!  

Also tired of Apple carrot & stick w/promised features they delay endlessly.  Promise only what you can realistically deliver on time and the ones you can't state they will be in a .5 release version or somethings at WWDC...
    Why is it when Apple delays a feature because it's too buggy and not ready for prime time, people like you scorn them, and when they push out a feature before it's ready, you scorn them too?

Just no satisfying you people!

I say let them take however long it needs to take to make the feature great and reliable, live up to the Apple mantra of putting out reliable software like they used to, and let people like you keep whining in the basements...
    How about not announcing things if they’re not ready for prime time? It’s almost a year later and we still don’t have AirPower. That’s embarrassing. If it was any other company people here would be calling it vaporware.
    We're talking about FaceTime conferencing. It was announced as part of iOS 12, but they did not say specifically when. If it it's 12.1 or .2 or whatever, that's still iOS 12.

You complain when Apple remains silent, you complain when they announce future features. You complain when something is buggy, and you complain if they hold it to get it right. Seeing the common theme here? You like to complain.
    Apple never said it was coming in a later version of iOS 12 and prior to this beta they never said it wasn’t going to ship when iOS 12 was released. When portrait mode was announced Schiller made a point to say it would be coming in a later release. Federighi did not say that at WWDC. I have no problem with Apple not releasing things if they’re not ready for prime time. But then don’t announce them until reasonably sure what the release date will be. if Microsoft or Google announced something and nearly a year later it still hadn’t shipped everyone here would be calling it vaporware (and rightly so).
    gatorguydamonf
  • Reply 23 of 34
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    I don’t think I have ever personally made a video call - well since I was a teenager (cough) - I genuinely can’t think of scenario where I would ever want to be involved in a 32-way video call. 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I confess never use it so forgive me if this is asked and answered, has FaceTime regained there record button that iChat had yet? 
    libertyforall
  • Reply 25 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hexclock said:
    we would be at 1 with 28 zeros after it, mbps. That number is so large it doesn’t have a name. 
    Well, not an SI-prefix, at any rate. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don’t think I have ever personally made a video call - well since I was a teenager (cough) - I genuinely can’t think of scenario where I would ever want to be involved in a 32-way video call. 
    I have, it's like when you dial in to a conference bridge, only with video.   Actually the video part is optional...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It was working on stage at WWDC, and the only thing that has changed since then is the public betas. So something must have happened when thousands of people tried to use it at once vs. when it was just one call. Some kind of scaling issue.

An issue that doesn't show itself until thousands of people are using something is something you can't really have quietly detected yourself and never released the feature. You kind of had no choice but to publicly beta test it and risk the embarrassment of pulling the feature.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why does the Mac alway suck the hind tit with features to iOS?!  Mac was the FIRST platform, and should be leading or at least on feature-parity w/iOS devices.
    Why?  Because it was first?  Pretty lame reason.

System 7 should have us on Mars by now.  Apple BASIC should be quantum by now.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley said:
    Because it’s better in every way and doesn’t have any meaningful restrictions...

ALSO WHY THE FUCKING HELL DO IOS BACKGROUND TABS AND OS X BACKGROUND TABS BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY?! Safari has done this for YEARS. I want the Mac’s way of handling tabs put on iOS.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Why does the Mac alway suck the hind tit with features to iOS?!  Mac was the FIRST platform, and should be leading or at least on feature-parity w/iOS devices.  You know, Apple should really accelerate the iOS apps on macOS execution, that is what should really ship this fall w/Mojave!  Doing so would give Mac a much-needed infusion of fresh apps!  

Also tired of Apple carrot & stick w/promised features they delay endlessly.  Promise only what you can realistically deliver on time and the ones you can't state they will be in a .5 release version or somethings at WWDC...
    You have a solution to your trauma. You have a checkbook. Use it to switch platforms. 
    That is your suggested solution and that is not solution really. The orignal writer simply expressed concern and you are recommending some vicious non-solution. I suggest stop applying that technique. It is as arrogant as Microsoft crowd years ago I remember. Start giving sensible advice. Frustration is not the only reason to leave platform. Actually it should push innovators to get focused and deliver.
    It’s a perfectly valid solution. If the guy is tired of promised features not showing up then he has a choice. 

What makes sick and tired is people who say dumb stuff like “Apple should really accelerate the iOS apps on macOS execution” as though software designs, writes, tests, debugs, tests, debugs, tests, integration tests, performance tests then releases itself. 

And that’s before we even get to the fact that Apple isn’t planning on running iOS apps on MacOS. 
  • Reply 31 of 34

maestro64 said:
    I suspect the delay is a backend issue, in order to serve up 32 people on call, means that Apple is passing the video threw a video server which determine who is talking and servers up their video and audio. To due this right Apple has to cancel out all the background sound so that the audio and video are not switching back and forth all the time.

In the Demo Apple did everyone was quite and they all were in offices so they did not have to deal with lots of background noise of voices. The fact Apple is pulling this off is great but it is a very complicated problem to solve and do it well so people will use it.
    Someone who knows what they’re talking about. You’ve taken a wrong turn. Ars Technica is two tabs over. 
  • Reply 32 of 34

Why is it when Apple delays a feature because it's too buggy and not ready for prime time, people like you scorn them, and when they push out a feature before it's ready, you scorn them too?

Just no satisfying you people!

I say let them take however long it needs to take to make the feature great and reliable, live up to the Apple mantra of putting out reliable software like they used to, and let people like you keep whining in the basements...
    How about not announcing things if they’re not ready for prime time? It’s almost a year later and we still don’t have AirPower. That’s embarrassing. If it was any other company people here would be calling it vaporware.
    We're talking about FaceTime conferencing. It was announced as part of iOS 12, but they did not say specifically when. If it it's 12.1 or .2 or whatever, that's still iOS 12.

You complain when Apple remains silent, you complain when they announce future features. You complain when something is buggy, and you complain if they hold it to get it right. Seeing the common theme here? You like to complain.

Complains when Apple buys companies instead of building in house. 
    Complains when Apple doesn’t buy companies and builds in house. 
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Yes, disappointing, but a lot less disappointing than releasing it and having it collapse on day one. 
  • Reply 34 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    crowley said:
    Because it’s better in every way and doesn’t have any meaningful restrictions...

ALSO WHY THE FUCKING HELL DO IOS BACKGROUND TABS AND OS X BACKGROUND TABS BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY?! Safari has done this for YEARS. I want the Mac’s way of handling tabs put on iOS.
    There are so many software and UI inconsistencies between iOS and macOS I’m not sure they’ll ever be resolved at this point.