MacBook Pro Monitor Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I recently purchased a 15 MacBook Pro.  My plan was to also purchase the 21 LG Ultrafine 4K monitor

However, I've noticed that the 4K monitor will not power the 15 inch MB Pro (60W vs 85W).

Are there any other monitors on the market in the 21 inch size that will power the 15 inch MB Pro in a similar fashion?  I know the 27 inch 5K monitor will, but it's just too big for my space.

If not, does anyone any experience with the effects of powering the 85W MB with 60W?  I know the battery will pick up the slack, but will the 60W power source eventually charge the battery back 100 percent?  will it burn the battery out sooner?  That sort of thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Unless you're really crushing your CPU and GPU at the same time with the lid open, the 60W will be more than enough to keep your laptop powered.

Even 15W will eventually charge the battery with the lid shut. 60W will probably keep you at 100%, and positively will if you operate in clamshell mode.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    DouroDouro Posts: 7member
    Thank you for your response.  I really like the monitor set up and was kind of dismayed at the warning.