Apple pulls iOS 12 beta 7 OTA update amid performance woes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    nunzy said:
    That's why they call it a BETA. Watch the haters swarm, though.
    Yup i counted several morons who have done that, they are idiots, no freaking clue what beta really means! 
    You do realize Apple offers public betas now, right? Most of the users running the developer beta are developers. Yes beta software will have bugs (and often bugs known to Apple and documented in release notes) but this particular update was pulled by Apple a couple hours after release. Was their QA department on vacation?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    i thought Cook's main selling point of iOS 12 update was stabliity and from my recollection, this is probably the least stable I've seen in a major update in beta, esp. the 7th version.
    Emphasize BETA.

this is a non-issue.  People just love to make it bigger than it really is.
    Obviously not a non-issue if Apple pulled it.
    Nothing usual about finding bugs in Beta software from any software developer. The whole point of a Beta is to shake out any remaining issues before the final release.

So yeah, it is a non-issue. This is how it's suppose to work in Beta.
    So beta releases usually get released and then pulled a few hours later? I don’t think so,
    Yes sir. That’s part of it. You are wrong. It never did affect public betas. And I have over 12 years and 100+ projects developed to know this stuff. Nothing was ever that complex as an operating system and even we worked with similar fail safes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    i thought Cook's main selling point of iOS 12 update was stabliity and from my recollection, this is probably the least stable I've seen in a major update in beta, esp. the 7th version.
    Emphasize BETA.

Nothing usual about finding bugs in Beta software from any software developer. The whole point of a Beta is to shake out any remaining issues before the final release.

So beta releases usually get released and then pulled a few hours later? I don’t think so,
    Yes. Each release is a live test. Unless you're developer, you shouldn't have Beta software installed for testing. So it's a non-issue for iOS users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30

nunzy said:
    Yup i counted several morons who have done that, they are idiots, no freaking clue what beta really means! 
    Yes, a parade of no-nothings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    zhtway said:
    No issues so far yet on my iPhone X and the newest iPad. Pretty stable. Don't know when I'll see the issue.  B)
    My iPad Pro (first one) is fine with beta 7. Didn’t install it on the iPhone X given I was debugging a specific issue yesterday. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

You really shouldn’t comment on stuff you know nothing about. 

Betas get pulled all the time. 

I’ve worked for a lot of companies that have had to pull betas or send out fixes straight after they’ve been released. The last one I ordered was a few years ago: a beta release halted because the code based hadn’t been tagged, which meant the about box gave the wrong version number, which meant we wouldn’t be able to track reported bugs accurately. A little embarrassing because we essentially halted the beta eight minutes after release. 

Seriously, if you don’t know then ask. Don’t assume. 
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

Yes, it’s BETA and it’s their beta. If they feel the need to pull it they can. That’s the point of us all testing it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    nunzy said:
    You do realize Apple offers public betas now, right? Most of the users running the developer beta are developers. Yes beta software will have bugs (and often bugs known to Apple and documented in release notes) but this particular update was pulled by Apple a couple hours after release. Was their QA department on vacation?
    This is not public beta, this is a developer beta. Developer beta is for testing certain features with a small group of developers, and pulling it from time to time is a norm if the version is not working as intended. OTOH a public beta is a stable version and is typically released to a wider testers after several tests were done on developer beta.

They both, however, are not a formal release and so should be treated exactly like that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

This is a non-issue because it’s not the final release. The fact that Apple can just «take it back» and try again is exactly why this is a non-issue.

It was discovered pretty fast, by developers who know and understand what they’re getting into with a beta release, and it wasn’t even released to the public beta testers.

So yes, all in all as much of a non-issue as it gets.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

I agree that it's not a non-issue, but it's not unexpected for a beta. This is why betas are done: to find issues that might otherwise be missed in the internal testing environment.