New MacBook Air coming by end of quarter, research firm claims

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Everything Apple has done has shown they will kill the macbook air and likely just sell a 128GB Macbook for $1k instead, unless this macbook air is greatly improved for the same price, I see no reason, they already removed the 11" model a couple of years ago.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Just as with the iPad, the "Air" model will be dropped from the MacBooks as well. It made sense when MacBooks were much larger, but they aren't anymore.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    entropys said:
    I think you are onto something there, Nunzy. I also think they could drop the cost even further by eliminating the keyboard too.
    Heck why bother with a display and cpu or  casing that would bring the price down to zero .  Corner the entire laptop market by giving them away! Save a bundle of cash.
    entropysnunzychia
  • Reply 24 of 32
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Just bring back that 11-12 inch MacBook Air back. I need to refresh old hardware and I am not squeezing bigger portable computer into spoecialized clunky messenger bag. iPad will not do either. There are apps that need more screens and more complex navigations and tasks on apps than mobile can offer. Example? Modelling solution (no modelling is not diagramming - it has strict rules) so far no apps like UML, BPM on mobile that would really cut for this task while travelling or at home with large hid-def screen.
    Omnigraffle, Drawexpress, Lucidchart, Cubetto no good?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    entropys said:
    I think you are onto something there, Nunzy. I also think they could drop the cost even further by eliminating the keyboard too.
    Yeah.   Screens are really over rated too.
    nunzy
  • Reply 26 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    entropys said:
    Yeah.   Screens are really over rated too.

They could just ship a slab of milled aluminium with an Apple logo on it. Unlimited battery life! 100% protection from malware! No more problems with not having the right port!
    nunzybaconstangchiaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    THT and Bittyson: I am of course speculating as you are, but ... I think there's very little chance there will be any TB3 ports at all in a new "MacBook Air" (I doubt there will be a new MacBook Air, I think TrendForce is confused about MacBooks -- as pointed out by others, the present MBA form factor weighs almost precisely the same as a 13-inch MBA, which is a superior machine on every possible front).

If the claim of "less expensive" ("inexpensive" LOL) turns out to be correct, that means UBS-C Type 2 at best. Which is more than sufficient for 95 percent of buyers, and way cheaper both in implementation and in accessories.

I think the Air form factor is done except possibly for EDU market. As I say, the MBP 13 non-touchbar IS a MacBook Pro, only way better. I think the MacBooks are getting a major refresh that I think will (or at least should) include the latest Intel Mobile or LP chips, the improved gen3 keyboard, and USB-C type 2, but keeping everything else pretty much the same (a second USB-C would sure be nice -- and symmetrical, Sir Jony!). Ideally it'd be even a bit cheaper but that's probably too much to hope. :)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I don't think so.. Unless Apple wants to discontinue 12' MacBook line.

At this point price wise MacBook Air is dead line.

Current price chart,
    MacBook - 8 GB RAM, 256SSD - $1299

Air 8GB, 128 SSD - $999
    Air 8GB, 256SSD - $1199

Pro 13' base 8GB, 128SSD - $1299
    Pro 13' base 16GB, 128SSD - $1499
    Pro 13' base 16GB, 256SSD - $1699

None of product user can't upgrade so price is whatever Apple charged.
    Currently Air screen is old.. If Apple bump up retina display then base price will rise to at least $1099.

I think Apple kill Air and Macbook add start 8GB RAM with 128SSD as $1099.

It seems next year Apple will drop none touch bar model from 13' pro line and reduce price to make some gap between Macbook line.
    Like 16GB RAM is base with 128SSD starting $1399 or $1499,

• Reply 29 of 32
    nunzy said:
    Agree with above comment. The MacBook is plenty light so the only real reason from my view would be lower price point. Any additional thoughts?
    They could make it cheaper if they eliminated all the ports except one. And there is no reason to make the case able to be taken apart. Think glue, not screws.

No built-in speakers would allow them to make it thinner. All storage in the cloud.

B.S.
    Batteries are lifespan-limited... they NEED to be able to be replaced.

• Reply 30 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lmac said:
    If Apple times its product launches right, the new Air will be ready for Back to School.
    School has already started, so no.
    B.S.
    Like, you know, just buy a new computer. Why can’t you, like, just afford a new computer every three years?
    edited August 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 32
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    nunzy said:
    Agree with above comment. The MacBook is plenty light so the only real reason from my view would be lower price point. Any additional thoughts?
    They could make it cheaper if they eliminated all the ports except one. And there is no reason to make the case able to be taken apart. Think glue, not screws.

No built-in speakers would allow them to make it thinner. All storage in the cloud.

B.S.

Not just battery is limited life span.. All IT products are.

Anyway.. I wonder how many people still use Apple products after 3 years.. Since Apple product's resale value is much better then others.

Since who ever start thin is good motto, replaceable battery is long gone.
    Also you still can replace the battery.. Not that easy as old flip phone era but if you pay $75 to Apple store they will replace it for you.. And if you are good at fix things then just by replacement kit from iFixt and DIY.

If you still looking for flip phone era battery replacement then wake up from your dream. It will never come back.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    YP101 said:
    nunzy said:

B.S.

Not just battery is limited life span.. All IT products are.

Anyway.. I wonder how many people still use Apple products after 3 years.. Since Apple product's resale value is much better then others.

Since who ever start thin is good motto, replaceable battery is long gone.
    Also you still can replace the battery.. Not that easy as old flip phone era but if you pay $75 to Apple store they will replace it for you.. And if you are good at fix things then just by replacement kit from iFixt and DIY.

If you still looking for flip phone era battery replacement then wake up from your dream. It will never come back.
    Still using a 10-year old iMac here.
    tallest skil