Google rebrands cloud storage services as Google One with cheaper plans, extra benefits

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google's rebranding of its cloud storage service from Google Drive to Google One has taken a major leap forward, with the tech giant now allowing anyone in the United States to sign up for the plan, not just users already paying for online storage capacity.

Announced earlier this year, Google One is effectively a renaming of its cloud storage service, one that encompasses many other Google services that have online storage components. Users can pay a monthly fee to Google One for storage, which can be used with Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos, expanding free allocations and providing more space for files.

Since its announcement, Google has been slowly converting its consumer cloud storage customers over to Google One, but now it has been opened up to anyone in the United States. It is unclear when it will be available to users in other countries, but Google is offering to notify potential users when it opens up in their market.

The Google One plans start with 100 gigabytes of storage for $1.99, rising to $2.99 for 200 gigabytes and $9.99 for 2 terabytes, while higher capacities will still be available, but under previous pricing. The new options may be seen as better value to consumers wanting more storage, as 1 terabyte previously cost $9.99 per month, but the 100 gigabyte option could also be acquired for $11.99 per year before the rebranding effort.

Google is also attempting to make the subscription more useful for families, with customers able to share their plan with up to five other people under one bill. A number of other benefits are also offered, including Google Play credits and hotel deals found on Google Search, with offers from Google Express and Google Store expected in the coming months.

Support is also touted as a big feature of Google One, with users being offered access to a "team of Google experts" to answer their queries.

The rebranding to Google One and the refinement of the pricing brings Google's service close to Apple's iCloud in terms of value. While iCloud has the same prices for the 200 gigabyte and 2 terabyte options, it offers a lower 50 gigabyte tier for $0.99 per month.

Google does still have Apple beat in how much it provides to users for free, offering 15 gigabytes compared to iCloud's 5 gigabyte allocation. Apple also doesn't offer extra bonuses for iCloud subscribers, which could make Google One more attractive to those not embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    If you have a paid account, does Google still assume they have the right to scan/read/peruse your information?
    racerhomie3toysandmestanthemanigohmmmchasmwilliamlondonwatto_cobraclaire1jony0
  • Reply 2 of 34
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Google is evil.
    GeorgeBMacjbdragonwatto_cobraclaire1brucemc
  • Reply 3 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tulkas said:
    If you have a paid account, does Google still assume they have the right to scan/read/peruse your information?
    They have said several times they won't do that...any more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I pay $2.99/mo for 200GB of iCloud storage which I share with my wife. iCloud is also integrated with all our Apple devices so I’m happy with being inside the walled garden.
    racerhomie3greg uvanGG1jbdragontoysandmeMisterKitstanthemanwatto_cobraclaire1jony0
  • Reply 5 of 34
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    $20/yr gets me the full Office 2016 Suite of apps plus 1TB of storage.  I can't get too excited about Google's or Apple's prices.
    edited August 2018 igohmmm
  • Reply 6 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    LOL....   From the company that drove around neighborhoods scooping up unsuspecting people's data from their WiFi signal, stored it on their servers and then, without deleting it from their servers, claimed it was the work of a "rogue programmer" and "we didn't know anything about it".

Now, they want to scan not only my emails but ALL of my information -- pictures of where I've been and my financial information?

Sure, yeh, go ahead.  We trust Google!  What could possibly go wrong?

(People hyperfocus on Apple hardware -- but it is their assurance of privacy that may be their biggest asset.)
    cecil444racerhomie3randominternetpersonfotoformattoysandmestanthemanigohmmmwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 7 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I hope this prompts Apple to revamp their service. Currently I'm on their 50GB plan. It does what I need, but not everything I'd want to do. I'd like to have my music and photos in iCloud. I'd like to critical document backups from my Mac to iCloud. The trouble is 200GB (for $3.99/mo CDN) isn't enough to do that while 2TB (for $12.99/mo CDN) is way more than I need (and am willing to pay). ~500GB for ~$6.00/mo CDN would be perfect.
    netmagetoysandmestanthemanigohmmmbrucemc
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Google needs more data to sell!
    Don't ask what Google can do for you! Instead, ask yourself what YOU can do for Google!
    cecil444racerhomie3GeorgeBMacGG1jbdragontoysandmestanthemanviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I pay for the highest tier of iCloud storage. I used to be on the 200GB plan but my Photos library got too large. I wish Apple offered another 1-2 tiers in between so I didn’t have to leap from $3/month to $10/month, but I ended up just turning on document/desktop sync, and sharing the extra storage with family members so they don’t have to pay for storage anymore. I do wish I got more perks from Apple for being a subscriber. You see Amazon Prime throw all these nice perks at their subscribers...I wish Apple sweetened the pot a little more. That said, having my full rez photos automatically backed up and stored in iCloud Photo Library, where they’re safe, not harvested for data, and accessible from all my Apple devices, is an invaluable service and makes it all worth it. Can’t remember when you took that vacation? Want to call up photos of a specific person, time, or place? Just ask Siri and they appear in seconds. Awesome.

Edit: does anyone think it’s strange that Google is naming their storage offering so similarly to Microsoft’s OneDrive? Is it a simple lack of creativity, or are they just aiming to confuse users into using their cloud storage instead?
    edited August 2018 netmageigohmmmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    deminsd said:
    $20/yr gets me the full Office 2016 Suite of apps plus 1TB of storage.  I can't get too excited about Google's or Apple's prices.
    Is that the normal non-student price?  I thought it was more like $100/year.
    jbdragonmanfred zornwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    deminsd said:
    Is that some kind of student or educator rate because a single personal user license for Office 365 is $69/yr? I have not seen the rate you claim anywhere.
    netmagejbdragonstanthemanigohmmmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    lkrupp said:
    I pay $2.99/mo for 200GB of iCloud storage which I share with my wife. iCloud is also integrated with all our Apple devices so I’m happy with being inside the walled garden.

That's exactly the plan I have for my family.

That said, with 5TB on our Office 365 Home plan, all my long-term backups are done on OneDrive.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    deminsd said:
    How did you manage to pay only $20 a year?
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tulkas said:
    No more than Apple does if that's what you're asking. All cloud providers need to be able to access your content to be able to sort, search and otherwise service your account as well as offer value-added features
  • Reply 15 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tulkas said:
    Anything kept in the cloud would be subject to laws pertaining to warrants and legal requests from law enforcement. You should operate on the assumption that anything online may at some point be hacked, cracked or tracked.
    jbdragonviclauyyccgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 34
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Funny timing on this given Google's breach of trust in the user location fiasco. Are memories today that ephemeral? Incidentally last night on one of the US late night comedy shows, I believe it was the Disney/ABC Jimmy Kimmel show, there was spot nearly a minute long, a parody not about Google, but the various ways that APPLE is tracking /stealing your privacy. Easy for AI readers to shrug off the stretch of facts into fictions, but the general public? Not too sure.
    anton zuykovstanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Folio said:
    Funny timing on this given Google's breach of trust in the user location fiasco. Are memories today that ephemeral? Incidentally last night on one of the US late night comedy shows, I believe it was the Disney/ABC Jimmy Kimmel show, there was spot nearly a minute long, a parody not about Google, but the various ways that APPLE is tracking /stealing your privacy. Easy for AI readers to shrug off the stretch of facts into fictions, but the general public? Not too sure.
    Good thing no one watches Jimmy Kimmel.
    jbdragontoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    tulkas said:
    They have said several times they won't do that...any more.
    THEY might not do it, but they still allow third party access which is often bundled into app permissions.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    If you are going to put your files on Google's or any third-party service, I would recommend you use encryptions software to encrypt any files you store on their drives. One, it protect it from them snooping for data they can use to target you. Second if someone else happens to gain access they most likely are not going to waste their time trying to hack your files, since there are lots of other people's data they can get to without the extra work.

I still use dropbox, for sharing files with people but I use PGP or Stuffit Delux to encrypt the data and then I provide the person with the public PGP key to de-encrypt it.

I know Gatorguy will defend Google actions, but does everyone understand that Google used all the photos people stored on their servers to do their R&D on photo recognition algorithms. Google is now selling this technology to the governments and police. Not only are you the product they sell to their customers, you also provide the necessary data for do their R&D programs. There is no evidence that Apple is doing the same thing, Apple is not using customer information stored on their service to help develop the next product. This is why Apple charges for their service since nothing comes free.

Encrypted your data then your data can not be use against you or to help other companies make money off you and not share the profits with you.

Also, if this is not enough, you are adding to the carbon footprint, due to all the power use to keep your data on a server up and running 27/7. My backup drive is off line except when it is needed.

edited August 2018 anton zuykovstanthemanviclauyycwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:
    You and me both!
    stanthemanmanfred zornwatto_cobra