Improved keyless entry system could replace car key fob with iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    maestro64 said:
    keep it simple, stupid. Just keep a simple key, it is now bad enough you can not get into some cars if you have dead battery or you need to go through special procedures to get in. I like turning the key and the door opens, no drama or above average intelligence required.

I am have engineering background and worked on cars since I was 16. Car have gotten so complicated even the service tech as they are call today can not even work on the cars. I had a problem with my BMW, it was in the shop 5 weeks, it took 3 visits from the BMW field engineer to finally figure out what was wrong. The Service tech had no clue. There will not be enough engineers to go around to solve the litany of issues more complexity will create.

You should get Tesla Model 3...no more key, just phone Tesla app that will detect your car thru Bluetooth and unlock it when you push the handle. Also, they give you a credit car-size key too but you’ll probably never use it but for valet.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    GG1 said:
    My co-worker's new Tesla Model 3 already does this (with the Tesla app running on his iPhone). He approaches the car (with phone in pocket), the car unlocks and turns "on." When he leaves the car, he just closes the door and walks away. At a certain distance, the car turns "off,", locks the doors, and folds in the sideview mirrors.

The car comes with no key fob, but Tesla are rumored to be making one due to many people asking for one. Other than the app, he has an RFID card (credit card size) that he can hold up to the B-pillar to open the driver's side door only. I'm not sure if there is a pure mechanical way (metal key) to gain entry. There is a mechanical way to open the door from the inside.

I'm not sure if Tesla are using Bluetooth, NFC, or a combination of both.

Apple's patent above mentions magnetic fields, so that makes me think that the embedded Qi charging coils in the iPhone X may be doing double duty (charging and keyless entry verification).

Edit: Henshaw says only Bluetooth is used. Makes sense, as the majority of phones have Bluetooth but not all have NFC.
    Not true. The phone app used both Bluetooth and NFC. The keycard use NFC.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    maestro64 said:
    GG1 said:
    My co-worker's new Tesla Model 3 already does this (with the Tesla app running on his iPhone). He approaches the car (with phone in pocket), the car unlocks and turns "on." When he leaves the car, he just closes the door and walks away. At a certain distance, the car turns "off,", locks the doors, and folds in the sideview mirrors.

The car comes with no key fob, but Tesla are rumored to be making one due to many people asking for one. Other than the app, he has an RFID card (credit card size) that he can hold up to the B-pillar to open the driver's side door only. I'm not sure if there is a pure mechanical way (metal key) to gain entry. There is a mechanical way to open the door from the inside.

I'm not sure if Tesla are using Bluetooth, NFC, or a combination of both.

Apple's patent above mentions magnetic fields, so that makes me think that the embedded Qi charging coils in the iPhone X may be doing double duty (charging and keyless entry verification).

Edit: Henshaw says only Bluetooth is used. Makes sense, as the majority of phones have Bluetooth but not all have NFC.

I believe Tesla and other car companies like Volvo who offer this feature are actually send data to the car over the cellular network. A co-worker has a Volvo with this feature and he could use it for 6 month then Volvo turn it off and wanted him to pay a subscription to have the ability to unlock the car from the phone as well as remote start and other features like check fuel level. This all could be done from any where you and the car had cell service.
    I started my Tesla M3 from home for my wife cuz her phone was out of battery at work and she got bo charger. Too bad, folks getting Model 3 as of August only have car LTE service, media streaming for 1 year. Mine was lifetime (Tesla lifetime) when I got it in May.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I love the idea of a key fob for entry and ignition. I don't know anything about the various systems, but am concerned about MITM attacks.

The same applies to residential BT door locks. Apple doesn't allow passive proximity unlocking for those; you have to actively touch an Unlock icon for that.

I don't mind carrying a fob, but using my Watch would be great. But— and there's always at least one— what happens with a dead battery, either fob, phone, or car? Song and dance for a dead phone or fob? Backup battery for the car? I guess with a Tesla, you'd have to go some to kill the battery.

Anyway, I want 'keyless' entry and ignition. It would take awhile for me to trust keyless locking. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Did I recently read Tesla and Volvo have the most software issues among all the car companies.

I stayed away from Ford b/c of MicroSoft's iSync. Ugh!

Stayed away from Tesla b/c it's based on Android.

Will stay away from BMW b/c it's charging $300/yr. for CarPlay.

Currently driving a 2013 Prius C w/ 50+ miles per gallon.

Considered the Leaf, but 70 mile range was a non-starter.

When Apple comes out w/ their new Apple Car, I'm all in! :) The Apple Car will have all my Podcasts and music automatically downloaded. I won't have to pull my iPhone out of my pocket and fiddle with it every time I get in the car! Ugh!

It will have a 300+ mile range. It will have the best suspension, best glass, best seats, best tires, best batteries, best SW!

It will have no buttons! Getting in a car today is like starting your home stereo system in 1981 where you had a eight buttons to press! :)
    Microsoft doesn't have anything to do with Sync 3 in Ford vehicles. Sync 3 is powered by QNX. Ford hasn't used Microsoft in at least 4 years ever since the first Sync disaster. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Apple Watch acting as a key fob YES!  How can I be alerted when this happens?? :)
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I am ALWAYS locking my key fob in the office with my keys AND phone, so I can't get into the car to retrieve the spare office key!! I don't own an Apple Watch but i'd be first in line to get one if I could open my damn car with it!!