Thieves caught in the act of robbing a California Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2018
After a summer of Apple Store robberies throughout California and elsewhere, three suspects were caught in the act Sunday, and detained by customers near the Apple Store in Thousand Oaks.

The Apple Store in Thousand Oaks, Calif.


Three men entered an Apple Store in Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sunday and took several items. But this robbery ended differently from all of the other similar ones this summer. After fleeing the store, two of the robbers were tackled by customers, leading to their arrest, police said. A third suspect, along with alleged accomplices, was arrested seperately.

"Once inside, the three suspects proceeded to steal several Apple iPhones and Apple laptop computers totaling approximately $18,000.00," the Ventura County Sheriff's Department's report said. "All three suspects ran out of the store, and in doing so, ran into a juvenile female customer causing her to fall to the ground. Other customers in the area tackled two of the suspects and detained them until Thousand Oaks Police Department Deputies arrived on scene."

The third suspect fled, but his car was later pulled over by police, who arrested that suspect and two others who were in the getaway car. In all, five people were arrested. The alleged conspirators have been charged with burglary as well as conspiracy to commit burglary.

The TV station KCAL reported that another Apple Store robbery took place earlier that day in Northridge, and police believe the suspects may be tied to the other robberies that have taken place in the state this summer. Four of the suspects are from Northern California while the fifth is from Fresno.

These thefts have been taking place throughout the country since the spring, with many of them concentrated throughout California. In recent weeks, Apple Stores have been hit in Bakersfield and Roseville, with local police departments lately stepping up their efforts to catch the perpetrators.

The thefts are always similar -- thieves run into the store, quickly grab multiple display items, and run back out, sometimes after just a few seconds. The speed of the robberies, as well as the unique layout of Apple Stores, has made catching the suspects elusive, even though several of the crimes have been caught on surveillance video.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,146moderator
    Maybe Apple should develop a small but very loud piezo-electric siren tag that can be affixed to store model units, with geofencing capability.  You run out of the store with a few iPhones and they begin loudly screeching, for about 6 hours.  Affixed such that the iPhones/iPads/Macs they are affixed to would be damaged in any attempt to remove them.  Apple could then also market such tags to other high-end goods retailers.  
    edited August 2018 JWSCwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    How about installing and activating find my iPhone on all display models- not sure if this works without a cellular data plan.. perhaps gps. Restrictions set so phones cannot be shut down, wifi cannot be disabled, airplane mode not activated 
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,490member
    Maybe Apple should develop a small but very loud piezo-electric siren tag that can be affixed to store model units, with geofencing capability.  You run out of the store with a few iPhones and they begin loudly screeching, for about 6 hours.  Affixed such that the iPhones/iPads/Macs they are affixed to would be damaged in any attempt to remove them.  Apple could then also market such tags to other high-end goods retailers.  
    In the Apple stores in NYC, I believe at least some of the display models do have some kind of alarm system because I remember sales people having to come over to the table to disarm them whenever they went off.   But the alarm itself is not attached to the device, but the table.    But I don't see how Apple can't shut down a device the first time it's connected to the internet.    And it seems to  me that Macs could be locked down to the table.    In NYC (and I suppose elsewhere), car radio theft used to be rampant  (especially after market radios) - I lost a few myself.   But once they started coding radios so that you need to plug in a code if power was cut to the radio, radio theft pretty much ended.    

    I don't like the look of a big, burly security guard standing at the entrance of retail stores (it's uninviting), but maybe it's time at least in the areas that have experienced such robberies.   

    I like Apple,  but I don't think I would risk myself to tackle a thief in a retail environment.   Those people deserve something special from Apple, IMO.
    lordjohnwhorfinrepressthisradarthekatwatto_cobrawlym
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    king editor the gratedewmeronnrepressthisJWSCwatto_cobrawlymjony0
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,939member
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but hasn't it been established that the demo phones are specially produced and useless in the wild?

    backstabronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 90member
    even though it's risky, the one guy(s) who tackled and held 2 thieves is a hero in my book. he might have been more motivated by a little girl getting mowed down than stolen iPhones. of course, if the thieves got hurt in the process, I'm a sure a defense lawyer would help sue the hero for assault. sadly, the world is run by money, insurance, and lawyers. very happy they were caught!
    repressthismbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    Isn't stealing is what "putting yourself in danger for material things" is?
    edited August 2018 JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    ? Um. Refunded by insurance eh? I am sure Apple is self-insured for such small amounts of theft. Insurance always costs more than the calculated risk as there are admin costs, profit, etc. involved. People insure for lose hits they can't otherwise afford. Apple can afford this with $250+ Billion in cash. Apple's risk management department probably self-insures a lot of things like any large company does.
    edited August 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 2,188member
    Maybe Apple should develop a small but very loud piezo-electric siren tag that can be affixed to store model units, with geofencing capability.  You run out of the store with a few iPhones and they begin loudly screeching, for about 6 hours.  Affixed such that the iPhones/iPads/Macs they are affixed to would be damaged in any attempt to remove them.  Apple could then also market such tags to other high-end goods retailers.  
    I was thinking the same thing along the lines of improving store security across the board, including security guards. I think Apple has weighed all options to reduce theft and improve security but they probably do not want to resort to bunker mentality when the vast majority of customers are very well behaved, considerate, and respectful. They do not want to let the miscreants ruin the experience for everyone else. I’m sure Apple is appalled by customers engaging with low life scumbags in any way and will state something to this effect soon.

    My hope is that the existence of universal media, both professional and ad hoc, makes the incidence of abhorrent human behavior appear to be much greater than it actually is. But it’s so in your face these days and at every level people are behaving badly, even from people who are supposed to be setting good examples. When did mankind collectively throw in the towel and say screw it, it’s every man for himself from now on, so grab whatever you can? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,744member
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    If you prefer to always be the victim, go right ahead.  It's exactly why robberies target people and business that come across that way.  People that don't fight back and put their trust and hope in some degenerate that they don't hurt them.  Robbers prey on those kind of people.

    The below link is to a news article (with video) of the village (i.e. mall customers) getting fed up with this kind of activity in their neighborhood, that they banded together to apprehend the robbers.  Sure, it's an Apple store, and the products stolen represent only a drop of revenue for a conglomerate like Apple, but for the people involved in apprehending these robbers, it sends a strong message to other would-be thieves and it's also a good deterrent that if you enter their neighborhood, you'll be dealt with accordingly.  I support this.  These robbers most like were the ones traveling all over California doing nothing but entering other people's neighborhoods and robbing. Good for the citizens!

    Based on the video, I hope that one big guy that had one of the robbers in a choke hold was able to dislocate one of the punk's neck vertebras.

    https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/citizens-hold-apple-theft-suspects/


    edited August 2018 repressthisStrangeDaysJanNLwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,035member
    sflocal said:
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    If you prefer to always be the victim, go right ahead.  It's exactly why robberies target people and business that come across that way.  People that don't fight back and put their trust and hope in some degenerate that they don't hurt them.  Robbers prey on those kind of people.

    The below link is to a news article (with video) of the village (i.e. mall customers) getting fed up with this kind of activity in their neighborhood, that they banded together to apprehend the robbers.  Sure, it's an Apple store, and the products stolen represent only a drop of revenue for a conglomerate like Apple, but for the people involved in apprehending these robbers, it sends a strong message to other would-be thieves and it's also a good deterrent that if you enter their neighborhood, you'll be dealt with accordingly.  I support this.  These robbers most like were the ones traveling all over California doing nothing but entering other people's neighborhoods and robbing. Good for the citizens!

    Based on the video, I hope that one big guy that had one of the robbers in a choke hold was able to dislocate one of the punk's neck vertebras.

    https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/citizens-hold-apple-theft-suspects/
    If there truly is a group of thieves travelling around robbing stores, isn't it the job of the police to find out about such activity, track it, and deal with the perpetrators?  Why should it be up to private, unpaid, untrained citizens to take matters into their own hands which could potentially lead to fatal outcomes for themselves and/or innocent bystanders?  There's no logic in the idea that vigilantism is the solution to crime.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ronnronn Posts: 336member
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    Had a former co-worker that worked in a well-known department store's security department. He said he would never ever go after thieves once they left the premises. A fellow security officer had his face sliced open by an accomplice waiting outside the store. When I was a retail manager we were trained to not only never chase anyone outside, to not to confront thieves in store, let security make the call. Emotions and adrenaline took over sometimes for some, but I never physically confronted anyone. It's not worth the trouble and potential harm when insurance will make the store whole.
    repressthisauxio
  • Reply 13 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 1,507member
    Citizens who intervene property crimes have to make a reasoned choice. Some people absolutely should do no more than observe and make mental notes of the suspects, directions of flight, and if possible a suspect vehicle, its direction of flight, and a plate if possible. Any of this should obviously be done as safely as possible, should they want to get involved.

    Other people couldn't care less or be the least bit concern. Their choice of course, but I wish they were smart enough not to be so proud of that. They seem think doing the safe reasonable thing makes them special. 

    But there are those who have the wherewithal for whatever reason, to capably intervene and I'm glad to see it. It's a personal decision and it would be wrong for Apple to encourage it in any manner. They certainly don't expect their customers or employees to put themselves in harm's way. Many companies/corporations discipline their employees who take 'heroic' action to preserve monies or property.

    As such, I applaud the actions of the concerned citizens pulling this off without getting themselves hurt. I wonder how many of the suspects are juveniles (if any) and how many are adults.
    edited August 2018 radarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,744member
    macgui said:
    Citizens who intervene property crimes have to make a reasoned choice. Some people absolutely should do no more than observe and make mental notes of the suspects, directions of flight, and if possible a suspect vehicle, its direction of flight, and a plate if possible. Any of this should obviously be done as safely as possible, should they want to get involved.

    Other people couldn't care less or be the least bit concern. Their choice of course, but I wish they were smart enough not to be so proud of that. They seem think doing the safe reasonable thing makes them special. 

    But there are those who have the wherewithal for whatever reason, to capably intervene and I'm glad to see it. It's a personal decision and it would be wrong for Apple to encourage it in any manner. They certainly don't expect their customers or employees to put themselves in harm's way. Many companies/corporations discipline their employees who take 'heroic' action to preserve monies or property.

    As such, I applaud the actions of the concerned citizens pulling this off without getting themselves hurt. I wonder how many of the suspects are juveniles (if any) and how many are adults.
    I posted a link above to an actual news report and video.

    they were all adults.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,146moderator
    auxio said:
    sflocal said:
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    If you prefer to always be the victim, go right ahead.  It's exactly why robberies target people and business that come across that way.  People that don't fight back and put their trust and hope in some degenerate that they don't hurt them.  Robbers prey on those kind of people.

    The below link is to a news article (with video) of the village (i.e. mall customers) getting fed up with this kind of activity in their neighborhood, that they banded together to apprehend the robbers.  Sure, it's an Apple store, and the products stolen represent only a drop of revenue for a conglomerate like Apple, but for the people involved in apprehending these robbers, it sends a strong message to other would-be thieves and it's also a good deterrent that if you enter their neighborhood, you'll be dealt with accordingly.  I support this.  These robbers most like were the ones traveling all over California doing nothing but entering other people's neighborhoods and robbing. Good for the citizens!

    Based on the video, I hope that one big guy that had one of the robbers in a choke hold was able to dislocate one of the punk's neck vertebras.

    https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/citizens-hold-apple-theft-suspects/
    If there truly is a group of thieves travelling around robbing stores, isn't it the job of the police to find out about such activity, track it, and deal with the perpetrators?  Why should it be up to private, unpaid, untrained citizens to take matters into their own hands which could potentially lead to fatal outcomes for themselves and/or innocent bystanders?  There's no logic in the idea that vigilantism is the solution to crime.
    Are neighborhood watches vigilantism?  Is a citizen’s arrest vigilantism?  It’s hardly undertaking law enforcement, and more akin to being a good samaritan stepping in to aid a heart attack victim.  Some people stand back while others step forward.  Simple as that.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 1,507member
    radarthekat said:
    Some people stand back while others step forward.  Simple as that.
    In a nutshell.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    auxio said:
    sflocal said:
    I can understand risking your life to defend someone else's life, but stolen property that will most likely be refunded by insurance? Not worth it. Please don't put yourself in danger for material things.
    If you prefer to always be the victim, go right ahead.  It's exactly why robberies target people and business that come across that way.  People that don't fight back and put their trust and hope in some degenerate that they don't hurt them.  Robbers prey on those kind of people.

    The below link is to a news article (with video) of the village (i.e. mall customers) getting fed up with this kind of activity in their neighborhood, that they banded together to apprehend the robbers.  Sure, it's an Apple store, and the products stolen represent only a drop of revenue for a conglomerate like Apple, but for the people involved in apprehending these robbers, it sends a strong message to other would-be thieves and it's also a good deterrent that if you enter their neighborhood, you'll be dealt with accordingly.  I support this.  These robbers most like were the ones traveling all over California doing nothing but entering other people's neighborhoods and robbing. Good for the citizens!

    Based on the video, I hope that one big guy that had one of the robbers in a choke hold was able to dislocate one of the punk's neck vertebras.

    https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/citizens-hold-apple-theft-suspects/
      There's no logic in the idea that vigilantism is the solution to crime.
    Huh? You mean, if thieves know their health and life are in danger when stealing, it will have no effect on the theft rates?
    Really? So, how do you explain that theft happens a lot less in areas/cities/states where people are allowed to conceal and open carry?
    In other words, when faced with a threat of injuring or killing themselves, thieves become a lot less encouraged to steal. Who would have thought... but, I guess, there is no logic...
    smh
    edited August 2018 marklark
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 2,188member
    auxio said:
    Huh? You mean, if thieves know their health and life are in danger when stealing, it will have no effect on the theft rates? 
    Really? So, how do you explain that theft happens a lot less in areas/cities/states where people are allowed to conceal and open carry?
    In other words, when faced with a threat of injuring or killing themselves, thieves become a lot less encouraged to steal. Who would have thought... but, I guess, there is no logic...
    smh
    In what state is the use of deadly force justified for unarmed thieves stealing an iPhone? 
    edited August 2018 ronn
  • Reply 19 of 24
    dewme said:
    In what state is the use of deadly force justified for unarmed thieves stealing an iPhone? 
    How about you not steal things, hmm? Is that too hard to comprehend? Did you know that actions have consequences? Have you heard of castle doctrine? I don’t want companies feeling justified in just shooting people, but you have to realize that the threat of physical punishment is a deterrent for this sort of thing.
    anton zuykovJanNL
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,744member
    dewme said:
    auxio said:
    Huh? You mean, if thieves know their health and life are in danger when stealing, it will have no effect on the theft rates? 
    Really? So, how do you explain that theft happens a lot less in areas/cities/states where people are allowed to conceal and open carry?
    In other words, when faced with a threat of injuring or killing themselves, thieves become a lot less encouraged to steal. Who would have thought... but, I guess, there is no logic...
    smh
    In what state is the use of deadly force justified for unarmed thieves stealing an iPhone? 
    Easy... I'm walking down the street, minding my own business when some miscreant points a knife at me and demands my iPhone.  Should I give him the iPhone, and place my trust and hope that this degenerate will spare my life, or since my life is being threatened... then any state will allow me to do whatever it takes to defend my life.  If I happen to reside in a that allows a concealed firearm, well it's a no-brainer than.

    Buy go right ahead and continue pushing the best defense is to be a victim.

    And the OP poster is correct... it has been PROVEN that jurisdictions with conceal and open-carry, heck even those that are very pro-2nd amendment, crime is nowhere near as bad.  All one needs to do is look at Detroit with some of the most restrictive gun-control laws in the country to realize that the ones doing all the shooting apparently don't care about gun laws, and know with relative safety that they can rob someone's house without fear of the homeowner brandishing a firearm since the law only strips guns from law-abiding people.

    tallest skilanton zuykovJanNLmarklark
Sign In or Register to comment.