Analyst downgrades Apple stock, because iPhone X is too popular

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    chasm said:
    Remind me again why the various Apple News sites give anal-cysts any airtime at all? Their collective track records are appalling.
    I have no idea why they should be given any interwebs space at all.  Useless mind clutter.

But I like where you’re going.  Is it even possible to filter out generated news versus real market driven news in the business press?  Does the business press even have an incentive to try?  It seems not.  People seem to like listening to talking heads on TV and reading what opinion makers have to say regardless of their qualifications.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Analysts can have their cake and eat it too. Since they are only offering “advice” and the fine print absolves them of any liability they can’t be sued if you lose your shirt by doing what they say. Short AAPL and it goes up you lose, buy AAPL and it goes down you lose but the analyst who’s advice you took gets to laugh at you and wait for the next sucker to come by.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    lkrupp said:
    Analysts can have their cake and eat it too. Since they are only offering “advice” and the fine print absolves them of any liability they can’t be sued if you lose your shirt by doing what they say. Short AAPL and it goes up you lose, buy AAPL and it goes down you lose but the analyst who’s advice you took gets to laugh at you and wait for the next sucker to come by.
    The suckers get to pay for this advice too. It is a hugely lucrative business. Funny how you can't find anyone to manage a portfolio by risking their own money. "I'll promise a return of x% over y years, and I get to keep anything in excess of this" said no one ever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    This is how wall street works. Various firms start selling  their shares at a profit, they then start shorting the stock. Next they call their buddies in the media telling them to write some bullshit stories to put the word out that its a sell, once the stock drops they cover their shorts. Seems very clever to me - the dumb ones are the people who trade after the news comes out -  any questions?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Back street research analyst.....name doesnt really matter... downgrades stock..  he also has a buy on Tesla with a 530 target.  He was at Bernstein but it is unclear that he covered aapl from there.

Rather than complain about stock manipulation, expect it, and make a plan to profit from it.  For me if the stock backs to 190 (which it may based on simple pullback to breakout levels) then I’d be a buyer in some form, like maybe options.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    *ANAL*asists are just dumb.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 27 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Paraphrasing Yogi Berra:  Nobody buys iPhones anymore -- they're too popular!
    Actually, closer would be 
    nobody buys iPhone anymore cause they’re always sold out
    coming from
    nobody goes to that restaurant anymore cause it’s always full
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Back street research analyst.....name doesnt really matter... downgrades stock..  he also has a buy on Tesla with a 530 target.  He was at Bernstein but it is unclear that he covered aapl from there.

Rather than complain about stock manipulation, expect it, and make a plan to profit from it.  For me if the stock backs to 190 (which it may based on simple pullback to breakout levels) then I’d be a buyer in some form, like maybe options.
    Exactly, follow the smart money and profit  from it, it isnt really that hard especially if you have access to the dark pool block trade feeds. For example just this morning goldman sachs traded 2 million  shares in the spy. Thats why it went up in price. How much is it worth to you to know for example some wall street  firm just traded  a block of 500k aapl shares at a certain price? 
    Carnage
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Paraphrasing Yogi Berra:  Nobody buys iPhones anymore -- they're too popular!
    Damn, you beat me to it. I was trying to think of a good one. That was definitely a "Yogi-ism." I was going to use something like "Nobody is buying iPhones anymore because they're always sold out."

It's always so amusing how analysts can figure out reasons for Apple stock to be devalued. Now it's because the iPhone X is TOO popular. I could have sworn that everyone was claiming that the iPhone X was a sales failure and was going to be discontinued at some point in the near future.

I'm just so glad I never listen to these idiots when it comes to trading Apple stock. They are so friggin' stupid I can't imagine how they keep their jobs.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 30 of 39
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I do love my iPhone X. 

Which has me looking forward with glee to what they’ll show me next in about a month. 
  • Reply 31 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    emig647 said:
    This may not be related to this particular case, but I have seen it plenty in the past. I'm ignorant to a lot of the laws and rules surrounding trading and the general market, but can someone explain to me why it is ok for analysts to clearly put out false pretense to clearly manipulate stock? 
    First Amendment.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    nunzy said:
    *ANAL*asists are just dumb.
    No they are not dumb you are the dumb one getting all judgementsl about it - these guys get paid by wall street to write these articles so that the retail investor moves the stock further in the direction they want to make them money . Its a sound,  well trusted and implemented method of making a living. Why don’t you get off you ass and make money to pay for your iphone  like i have? You must have been that cry baby who always was whining at nursery school. Grow up!
    nunzy
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Yup. 

Use other people’s gullibility to make a quick buy on the cheap. Why not? Apple does it all the time. 
  • Reply 34 of 39
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    This kind of ridiculous statements often only happens to Apple. It's doom because X is too popular, it's annoying because X is too fast, it's everywhere because X is too expensive, it's fragile because it's too beautiful, it hurts camera sales because X takes good picture, and so on  :/
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Why does CNBC even give someone like this airtime?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Reminds me of Family Guy when Peter lies to Lois about going to the Dr.  "Dr said I was TOO healthy.  Too healthy if you can imagine that".  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I don’t agree at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    iPhone X selling too many!!!!

Apple is doomed and will close doors tomorrow!!!!!

emig647 said:
    This may not be related to this particular case, but I have seen it plenty in the past. I'm ignorant to a lot of the laws and rules surrounding trading and the general market, but can someone explain to me why it is ok for analysts to clearly put out false pretense to clearly manipulate stock? 

Because it isn't illegal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Another Anal ist! Many 8/7 plus users will upgrade to the new 6.5” screen while 6.1” version will sell millions too. I know I will.