Samsung launches curved, 34-inch display with Thunderbolt 3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2018
Samsung on Tuesday announced the global launch of the CJ79, a 34-inch curved monitor with Thunderbolt 3, marketed as both Mac- and Windows-compatible.

Samsung CJ79

The screen has a 21:9 aspect ratio, 3,440-by-1,440 resolution, and covers 125 percent of the sRGB color gamut with 3,000:1 contrast. Mostly notably though it has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one of which supplies 85 watts of power, enough for 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros.

The monitor also incorporates two 7-watt speakers, picture-in-picture functions, and AMD FreeSync support. Other port options include HDMI, DisplayPort, and two USB 3.0 connections.

The company didn't immediately make pricing available; however, B&H Photo is accepting preorders for the C34J791 34-inch 21:9 Curved LCD Monitor at $899.99 with free expedited shipping within the contiguous U.S. Inventory is expected to arrive the beginning of September.

Samsung also announced the European debut of the CJ89, a related monitor starting at 43 inches. It has a 32:10 aspect ratio, 3,840-by-1,200 resolution, and its own KVM switch as well as two 5-watt speakers. Instead of Thunderbolt 3 it features two USB-C ports, but it can deliver up to 95 watts of power.

Samsung CJ89

HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.0, and two USB 2.0 hookups round out connections. Samsung has even produced a 49-inch variant, which actually lowers resolution to 3,840 by 1,080, but upgrades the speakers to 7 watts. Both the 43- and 49-inch monitors are promised to ship internationally "soon."

In the U.K. the 43-inch display can be preordered for 599.99 pounds ($775.54), while the 49-inch one is 841.11 pounds ($1,087.21).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    other than knowing their colors will mostly likely be off, a curved monitor for computer work makes more sense than a curved tv screen. A person at work has one of these curved displays verse having two monitors and this works great and I would love to have a similar set up verse having two monitors.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Apple displays are MIA.
    claire1
  • Reply 3 of 18
    maestro64 said:
    other than knowing their colors will mostly likely be off, a curved monitor for computer work makes more sense than a curved tv screen. A person at work has one of these curved displays verse having two monitors and this works great and I would love to have a similar set up verse having two monitors.
    All of those monutors are colors off including Apple displays. The only precision color monitors are EIZO and NEC pro line for graphic designers, but they are quite expensive. We do have one for that kind of work.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Sure would be nice to put in the cart with a Mac Mini Pro.
    MDChopsentropys
  • Reply 5 of 18
    maestro64 said:
    Still does not make a lot of sense. Curved screen is a gimmick, because in order for it to align in viewer's field of view and not produce any additional distortions, the head of the viewer has to be positioned in a very precise spot. Moving it even a little bit left-right, up-down or toward-away from screen creates more distortions than the curvature was intended to remove, which destroys the whole point of having a curved screen in the first place (that is the ONLY point of why it was made curved in the first place).
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Mmm...

My 2014 iMac 5K has a 27" 5120 x 2880 display...

claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MarvzMarvz Posts: 3member
    Not buying anything from Samsung. 
    ElCapitanclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Samsung? I don't want anything by them. They are nothing but copycats. They disgust me.
    ElCapitanclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    brianmbrianm Posts: 36member
    Only a VA panel, not IPS.  So faster response (4ms, 100 Hz), but colour won't be as accurate as IPS displays.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Marvz said:
    Not buying anything from Samsung. 
    Agreed.

Apple users should not touch Samsung with a mile long stick. - But of course that is virtually impossible given that Pipeline have put their products full of Samsung components. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    No way I would ever buy a Samsung consumer product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    maestro64 said:
    I think I prefer multiple monitors, because often one or more will be remote-connected to other machines and servers and can use the whole screen rather and me sizing and dragging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    These 34" displays sound really cool up until you realize they have less vertical workspace than a 27" Thunderbolt Display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    nunzy said:
    Samsung? I don't want anything by them. They are nothing but copycats. They disgust me.

Samsung copy? Never!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18

I don't get the point of a curved screen. I saw it on a TV and it didn't enhance the viewing experience.

I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to work on.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    claire1 said:

Samsung copy? Never!

I don't get your point with this Picture.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    maestro64 said:
    All of those monutors are colors off including Apple displays. The only precision color monitors are EIZO and NEC pro line for graphic designers, but they are quite expensive. We do have one for that kind of work.
    My point is Samsung over saturate their colors and run the display very bright since they know most consumers are like bugs to the bug light, they can not help themselves but to be attracted to the pretty colors.

Apple color are more aesthetically pleasing and easy on the eyes when using it, and the colors are fairly close. No mater what if you need color accuracy, you need a calibrator and the ability to load color profile in to the software to properly drive the display from the computer. Way back i use to calibrate displays to pantone colors to ensure the color match what the high end printer would produce.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    maestro64 said:
    Still does not make a lot of sense. Curved screen is a gimmick, because in order for it to align in viewer's field of view and not produce any additional distortions, the head of the viewer has to be positioned in a very precise spot. Moving it even a little bit left-right, up-down or toward-away from screen creates more distortions than the curvature was intended to remove, which destroys the whole point of having a curved screen in the first place (that is the ONLY point of why it was made curved in the first place).

Yeah mostly a gimmick as a TV, I will give you that.

I have two 27" displays and guess what they are at slight angle to each other, kind of like a curve. if you make them flat across and try to sit in the middle you have the same issue as you just described. I actually sat in front one of these curve monitors and use it and it is far easier to use than two displays side by side. You can sit in the middle and just move your eyes to see each side of the display, verse two monitors you have to position yourself center of one and the other is off to the side and you have to rotate your head.

So it does solve a usability problem.