Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    Unless they made any money from it I'm afraid I don't see what they did that was so bad. They GUESSED someone's password and/or security info.

If you put private stuff online, it's your own responsibility to make sure the access is secure enough. Just like when I put my classic cars into a garage, it's MY responsibility to ensure the locks on the garage door and cctv monitoring it are up to the job.

Had the passwords came from a leaked database elsewhere then the fault lies with the database owner's lack of security, still not the "hacker"s blame imho.
    What kind of creepy ass shit is this?

I hope someone steals nude photos of you, then your address and your bank details, then your internet history, and publishes for all the world to see.  I'm sure then you'll be self-effacing about how it's all your fault really, and the hacker didn't do anything bad.
    For one, I don't have or put "nude photos" of myself online - I don't understand the need people have to do that anyway. My address is already easily found online, in the UK, you're listed automatically in phone books, on the land registry, and marketing lists if you're registered to vote etc. etc. Bank Details, how exactly would that be found from my iCloud files? (please tell me, I'm genuinely curious). Internet history, go ahead, I've nothing to hide yet I'm not sure what a list of appleinsider, ebay and skysports website links will benefit anyone. If I've ever cleared my history/cache it's purely to speed up chrome, not to hide anything. I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things, I nor anyone else couldn't care less if it was "published for the world to see". My point still stands; if you want something to be private, make sure it is secure.

For the record, my credit card details were stolen one time, from a Debenhams database that was "hacked". As I said above - if the passwords came from a leaked database, the fault lies with the database owner. 
    But nothing is absolutely secure, a determined criminal with time and resources can get anything he or she wants.  Your house is not secure enough to content with the ingenuity of a determined person, should you hold yourself responsible when your possessions are ransacked because you only had twelve locks on the door? 

This is so obviously nonsense from someone privileged enough to have never significantly been a victim.  Debenhams may have been at fault when they were hacked, but that obviously doesn't mean the hacker isn't a criminal.  They are.  And if they cause material or personal harm while perpetuating criminal actions then they deserve to have the book thrown at them.  "Unless they made money" is such a cop-out; they caused a huge amount of pain, and your attitude is borderline sociopathic.
    You're taking things to the extreme as usual, there's a difference in doing all you physically can do vs doing the bare minimum - multiple types of locks on the door vs a matched-key single 20mm padlock. Even if I clarified my sentence to say "...make sure - as far as humanly possible - that it's secure", you'd still argue it. Did I say the debenhams hacker wasn't a criminal? Stealing and using credit card info is very different from guessing someone's password and downloading a photo. So what is this "pain" you refer to, is it embarrassment? Hmm, not sure about yourself but if I was a famous celeb with paparazi around every corner tripping over themselves to get a embarrassing or "nude" photo of me, I sure as hell wouldn't be uploading sex tapes online without at least 2-factor authentication. tbh I wouldn't be uploading that sh*t in the first place let alone recording it. Some celebs actually revel in that stuff, any publicity is good publicity to some.

btw you're the one who in just two posts has hoped this all happens to me, name calls, categorises and accuses, yet I'm the sociopath? nice.

edit* - still waiting to hear how my access to my iCloud files gives someone my bank details?
    I never said access to iCloud gave anyone access to bank details, so why would I need to tell you how?  You've made up that factoid all on your own. 

"Celebs" are allowed to upload anything they like to a secure cloud service, just the same as you, and have an expectation that it will remain private.  If they are reckless with their password choices, or prone to being fooled by phishing schemes, or the cloud vendor is lax in their approaches, sure, some element of responsibility can be apportioned appropriately, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the individual breaking into another person's private data and using it for their own purposes is guilty of a crime.  Your bullshit about "some celebs actually revel in this stuff" is pretty gross.  Some might, but a lot don't, and it's irrelevant either way; they should always have a choice, and it shouldn't be down to whether money was lost to determine if there has been wrongdoing.  Money isn't everything, privacy is worth a lot without a $ value being attached.
    I hate to be pedantic but you asked for it. First point - this article is about iCloud data, I've only mentioned the photos contained therein. Your first reply to my post stated you hoped it happened to me, that my nude photos, address and bank details were taken and posted online. I asked where my bank details would come from on iCloud data? Pretty straight forward I thought.

Then you criticise a comment I made while agreeing with it in the very same breath; "Your bullshit about "some celebs actually revel in this stuff" is pretty gross.  Some might..." :lol: I'm done replying, i think you should lay off whatever your on and chill-out before you give yourself a hernia. 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    adm1 said:
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    crowley said:
    adm1 said:
    Unless they made any money from it I'm afraid I don't see what they did that was so bad. They GUESSED someone's password and/or security info.

If you put private stuff online, it's your own responsibility to make sure the access is secure enough. Just like when I put my classic cars into a garage, it's MY responsibility to ensure the locks on the garage door and cctv monitoring it are up to the job.

Had the passwords came from a leaked database elsewhere then the fault lies with the database owner's lack of security, still not the "hacker"s blame imho.
    What kind of creepy ass shit is this?

I hope someone steals nude photos of you, then your address and your bank details, then your internet history, and publishes for all the world to see.  I'm sure then you'll be self-effacing about how it's all your fault really, and the hacker didn't do anything bad.
    For one, I don't have or put "nude photos" of myself online - I don't understand the need people have to do that anyway. My address is already easily found online, in the UK, you're listed automatically in phone books, on the land registry, and marketing lists if you're registered to vote etc. etc. Bank Details, how exactly would that be found from my iCloud files? (please tell me, I'm genuinely curious). Internet history, go ahead, I've nothing to hide yet I'm not sure what a list of appleinsider, ebay and skysports website links will benefit anyone. If I've ever cleared my history/cache it's purely to speed up chrome, not to hide anything. I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things, I nor anyone else couldn't care less if it was "published for the world to see". My point still stands; if you want something to be private, make sure it is secure.

For the record, my credit card details were stolen one time, from a Debenhams database that was "hacked". As I said above - if the passwords came from a leaked database, the fault lies with the database owner. 
    But nothing is absolutely secure, a determined criminal with time and resources can get anything he or she wants.  Your house is not secure enough to content with the ingenuity of a determined person, should you hold yourself responsible when your possessions are ransacked because you only had twelve locks on the door? 

This is so obviously nonsense from someone privileged enough to have never significantly been a victim.  Debenhams may have been at fault when they were hacked, but that obviously doesn't mean the hacker isn't a criminal.  They are.  And if they cause material or personal harm while perpetuating criminal actions then they deserve to have the book thrown at them.  "Unless they made money" is such a cop-out; they caused a huge amount of pain, and your attitude is borderline sociopathic.
    You're taking things to the extreme as usual, there's a difference in doing all you physically can do vs doing the bare minimum - multiple types of locks on the door vs a matched-key single 20mm padlock. Even if I clarified my sentence to say "...make sure - as far as humanly possible - that it's secure", you'd still argue it. Did I say the debenhams hacker wasn't a criminal? Stealing and using credit card info is very different from guessing someone's password and downloading a photo. So what is this "pain" you refer to, is it embarrassment? Hmm, not sure about yourself but if I was a famous celeb with paparazi around every corner tripping over themselves to get a embarrassing or "nude" photo of me, I sure as hell wouldn't be uploading sex tapes online without at least 2-factor authentication. tbh I wouldn't be uploading that sh*t in the first place let alone recording it. Some celebs actually revel in that stuff, any publicity is good publicity to some.

btw you're the one who in just two posts has hoped this all happens to me, name calls, categorises and accuses, yet I'm the sociopath? nice.

edit* - still waiting to hear how my access to my iCloud files gives someone my bank details?
    I never said access to iCloud gave anyone access to bank details, so why would I need to tell you how?  You've made up that factoid all on your own. 

"Celebs" are allowed to upload anything they like to a secure cloud service, just the same as you, and have an expectation that it will remain private.  If they are reckless with their password choices, or prone to being fooled by phishing schemes, or the cloud vendor is lax in their approaches, sure, some element of responsibility can be apportioned appropriately, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the individual breaking into another person's private data and using it for their own purposes is guilty of a crime.  Your bullshit about "some celebs actually revel in this stuff" is pretty gross.  Some might, but a lot don't, and it's irrelevant either way; they should always have a choice, and it shouldn't be down to whether money was lost to determine if there has been wrongdoing.  Money isn't everything, privacy is worth a lot without a $ value being attached.
    I hate to be pedantic but you asked for it. First point - this article is about iCloud data, I've only mentioned the photos contained therein. Your first reply to my post stated you hoped it happened to me, that my nude photos, address and bank details were taken and posted online. I asked where my bank details would come from on iCloud data? Pretty straight forward I thought.

Then you criticise a comment I made while agreeing with it in the very same breath; "Your bullshit about "some celebs actually revel in this stuff" is pretty gross.  Some might..." :lol: I'm done replying, i think you should lay off whatever your on and chill-out before you give yourself a hernia. 
    You said they do, I said they might, and "it's irrelevant either way" is the active point.  Bringing it up is a gross attempt to blame victims of crime for unconnected lifestyle choices.  And on that, not that it should make any difference, but lots of the data taken wasn't even nude photos or sex tapes, but photos of young people goofing around with their friends at home.  Private photos.  That they never consented to be made not private.  Some dickhead with a computer decided that, and now he's in prison, rightly.

To be pedantic, I didn't ask for anything.  I quite literally never said I hoped "it" happened to you, or that access to iCloud gave anyone access to bank details, so asking me to explain why it would is nonsense that it would be pointless to rise to.  I simply said I hoped your private information got stolen (and that was hyperbolic rhetoric that isn't really true, but that's hardly the point).