Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    As in "Tense"?
  • Reply 62 of 139
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Well if Apple wouldn’t have 15 different models to choose from, they wouldn’t have this naming problem in the first place. They lost that simple vision they had with SJ. He even cut all the “XS” (haha) fat from the product lineup when he returned in the 90’s saying that was part of Apple’s problem. And it was! You need a simple product portfolio. Not a bloated one. Look what happened to the domestic car manufacturers in the early 00’s. How many different versions of 1 vehicle did GM have from the same platform, just different names? That’s way too much fat. Cut the fat and keep only the lean products that prop up the business. Stop trying to please everyone, it’s never going to happen. Build a couple and if people love it, they’ll buy it. If they don’t, they won’t. We don’t need 3 new phones. Especially ones that all look like the X. My carrier was always the same and I was perfectly happy with choosing between 2 or 3 colors and 2 or 3 memory configurations. I was thoroughly disappointed at the X last year and it never grew on me. These new ones don’t interest me, either. Yet I STILL love the look of my gold 6s Plus and it still works like it did on day one. And the best part, it’s been paid off for a looooong time now! 
    I disagree.  Your strategy works well for the Mac line, not the iPhone line for the simple reason that the iPhone user base is one billion strong.  With a user base that large, Apple has a challenge of satisfying a wide range of consumer tastes.  If they don't then an Android maker will.  The smartphone market is not the Mac market or the iPad market for that matter.
    ronn
  • Reply 63 of 139
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    10, X and XS are all fine with me.

They play nicely visually (and phonetically when pronounced incorrectly).

There are plenty of products with XS in the name and no one usually thinks of 'excess' when they read or here it.

I'm not convinced on the gold colour but I detest the rose and champagne variants so, depending on how it actually looks it might be ok if it isn't bling style. It would be amazing if the etched a colour mix like the one in the image on the screen onto the glass back. Especially as multi coloured gradient are so popular now.
    That sounds like the script you have written to convince your wife to purchase the gold LCD X model as a replacement for her iPhone 6.
    I have a dilemma with this actually. Last year she could have upgraded but chose to replace the battery. That gave her another year with the 6. The X was not on the table basically due to price. That left the 8 series or 7 series as candidates but they look 'old'.

When she saw my Honor 10 she said 'that's gorgeous!' so now I'm waiting to see pricing and sizes for iPhones without foreheads and chins in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the rumours of an 'affordable' new phone prove to be true.

We can argue that a phone is just a phone but she is style conscious and in 2018, high screen to body ratios are the norm and as the phone will have to last her around three years, I wouldn't like her stuck with a big forehead and chin in 2020.
    The LCD iPhone X model will be much more expensive than the Honor 10.
    For sure. I'm just hoping the rumours prove true and one of the new phones is 'affordable' (even if it an Apple style definition of affordable).

Our family and social circle is dominated by Huawei/Honor phones. The sole iPhone is my wife's and there are a couple of oldish Samsungs.

She wants an iPhone and it would be nice for her to have one but we have been putting a lot of resources elsewhere and have plans for the next couple of years that make us think twice about certain things and one of them is phones.

If the Apple carrot is not close enough she could decide to hold out for another year or consider an Android.

She saw the Honor Magic 2 teaser from IFA today and commented favourably on the design.
    She should buy an Android; she obviously doesn't care about Apple's ecosystem, and since the iPad Mini isn't going to be replaced by Apple, you should make a clean break.

Then all you have to do is get rid of your Mac, and the iPad, and you are entirely free of Apple's ecosystem.

That' really what you've been angling for, right?
    How about competitively priced new products? Give me an iPad Mini 5 and new iPhone at an attractive price and we're onboard. Our iPads were competitive. No reason why new iPhones can't be either. Rumours are even pointing to exactly that. As for ecosystem. Nope. We are 'bad' Apple users as we do not subscribe to ANY Apple services.
    The ecosystem does not refer to apple services, which they didn’t even have before not too long ago. 

The iPhone is priced well, as even the highest models are best sellers. The market feels they’re fair, despite you wanting cheapies. 
    Then what does the ecosystem refer to?
  • Reply 64 of 139
    Hmm if there is an iPhone XS then they can complete the future line up with iPhone M, Phone L, and iPhone XL

Giving us iPhone XS, S, M, L, X and XL.   Perfect!

It works splendidly for fast food chains....
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 65 of 139
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Hmm if there is an iPhone XS then they can complete the future line up with iPhone M, Phone L, and iPhone XL

If the current PhoneX is the smallest they'll ever do then my next phone is a watch and I'll need to keep the 5s running for a few more years for that to be workable.
    ronnbaconstang
  • Reply 66 of 139
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 

But most People will pronounce it eXcess. Didn't they see that coming?
  • Reply 67 of 139
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

There are plenty of products with XS in the name and no one usually thinks of 'excess' when they read or here it.

I'm not convinced on the gold colour but I detest the rose and champagne variants so, depending on how it actually looks it might be ok if it isn't bling style. It would be amazing if the etched a colour mix like the one in the image on the screen onto the glass back. Especially as multi coloured gradient are so popular now.
    That sounds like the script you have written to convince your wife to purchase the gold LCD X model as a replacement for her iPhone 6.
    I have a dilemma with this actually. Last year she could have upgraded but chose to replace the battery. That gave her another year with the 6. The X was not on the table basically due to price. That left the 8 series or 7 series as candidates but they look 'old'.

When she saw my Honor 10 she said 'that's gorgeous!' so now I'm waiting to see pricing and sizes for iPhones without foreheads and chins in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the rumours of an 'affordable' new phone prove to be true.

We can argue that a phone is just a phone but she is style conscious and in 2018, high screen to body ratios are the norm and as the phone will have to last her around three years, I wouldn't like her stuck with a big forehead and chin in 2020.
    For sure. I'm just hoping the rumours prove true and one of the new phones is 'affordable' (even if it an Apple style definition of affordable).

Our family and social circle is dominated by Huawei/Honor phones. The sole iPhone is my wife's and there are a couple of oldish Samsungs.

She wants an iPhone and it would be nice for her to have one but we have been putting a lot of resources elsewhere and have plans for the next couple of years that make us think twice about certain things and one of them is phones.

If the Apple carrot is not close enough she could decide to hold out for another year or consider an Android.

She saw the Honor Magic 2 teaser from IFA today and commented favourably on the design.
    She should buy an Android; she obviously doesn't care about Apple's ecosystem, and since the iPad Mini isn't going to be replaced by Apple, you should make a clean break.

Then all you have to do is get rid of your Mac, and the iPad, and you are entirely free of Apple's ecosystem.

How about competitively priced new products? Give me an iPad Mini 5 and new iPhone at an attractive price and we're onboard. Our iPads were competitive. No reason why new iPhones can't be either. Rumours are even pointing to exactly that. As for ecosystem. Nope. We are 'bad' Apple users as we do not subscribe to ANY Apple services.
    The ecosystem does not refer to apple services, which they didn’t even have before not too long ago. 

The iPhone is priced well, as even the highest models are best sellers. The market feels they’re fair, despite you wanting cheapies. 
    Meanings progress. The ecosystem today is hardware + OS + apps + services.

If the market felt that iPhone prices were fair I say Apple would have a far higher market share than it does.

It could also be that the ecosystem creates a need to be within Apple and people pay to continue having access to it. After all, I have seen a lot of people imply that the ecosystem itself is a kind of holding system, designed to reduce migration from it.

Anyway, if they lower pricing, the market will still consider it fair by your logic.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 68 of 139
    smarky said:
    Who pronounces it as iPhone 10? It's generally called the iPhone X, if apple wanted people to call it the iPhone 10 why did they change it from being numbers to a letter? I would of thought they already would of named the models for this year, when they named last years models, but it seems kinda dumb that they didn't think this through previously.

It's like OSX, nobody calls it OS 10. It's OSX, yes, it means ten, but it's pronounced X.
    Oh Ess Ten.
    taken from apple.com...

"If you need to purchase Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you can order it from this page. "

so is it Oh Ess Ten Ten Point Seven?
  • Reply 69 of 139

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Then what does the ecosystem refer to?
    Handoff, AirDrop, Time Machine, Bonjour, iCloud, Home Sharing, Family Sharing, AirPlay, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. These are all available to any Apple user without extra cost.
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 70 of 139

avon b7 said:
    It could also be that the ecosystem creates a need to be within Apple and people pay to continue having access to it. After all, I have seen a lot of people imply that the ecosystem itself is a kind of holding system, designed to reduce migration from it.
    True. I'm one of those people. But think about that for a minute. For the ecosystem to have any kind of holding power, it has to be desirable. That people choose to stay with Apple for the ecosystem means the ecosystem is something they value, appreciate, and want.
    edited August 2018 tmay
  • Reply 71 of 139
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Someone needs to be fired for this leak. No way would Apple intentionally put this out there for somebody to find. Also I really hope it isn’t Xs. One because many people refer to the phone as the letter X not the number 10 it will sound like the word excess. But even if you pronounce it as ten, Xs will would like the word tennis. Makes no sense. I thought when Apple skipped the 7s and went straight to 8 they were getting rid of the ‘s’ nomenclature. Now is the time to get rid of it for good not bring it back. Sigh.
  • Reply 72 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

And an iPhone XXL for the morbidly obese.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 73 of 139
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    dysamoria said:
    I'm not being snarky when I ask "how are these conclusions being drawn by that one image?" I went to the source article and there aren't more images. This image shows nothing that cannot be explained as existing current phones with funky lighting, a new backdrop, and reflection. 
    I'm wondering the same thing. Anybody remember the 'black' iPod with the four LED 'buttons' on the front?

Both the Watch and the phone have a polished finish. The only Apple product with polished gold finish (that I recall) was the Apple Watch Edition. So is Apple bringing that Edition back not only in the Watch, but the phone too?  I don't think so.

Is Apple using a gold-plated finish? Gold filled finish? Either of those seem unlikely to me. I do like the look of polished gold, absolutely. I just don't think that's gold we're seeing. Stainless steel with gold lighting makes more sense to me.

I'm really not concerned with Apple's naming conventions. Too many people whine about that, and Apple probably doesn't really care. They pronounce it X as 'ten' (as do I) and sell phones, and don't care if people call it 'ecks'. Eventually people stop their whining, or at least it falls below other noise floors.

I'm liking the Watch big time, especially the change from the red dot to the ring. That ultraviolet complication is probably from somebody's weather app, not an AW sensor. But it would be very cool if the Watch had new tech. Would a UV sensor require FDA approval? If that's all it did, I wouldn't think so.
  • Reply 74 of 139
    There's no such thing as iPhone 10, we are currently at iPhone gen 8.  The iPhone X is simply iPhone model "X" for the 10th anniversary but it is not gen 10. 

• Reply 75 of 139
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

If the market felt that iPhone prices were fair I say Apple would have a far higher market share than it does.

Anyway, if they lower pricing, the market will still consider it fair by your logic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/warren-buffett-says-he-bought-just-a-little-more-apple-recently.html

"Buffett explained that he loves Apple as an investment due to the power of its brand and ecosystem, not its short-term financial results.

"I do not focus on the sales in the next quarter or the next year," he said. "I focus on the ... hundreds, hundreds, hundreds millions of people who practically live their lives by it [iPhone]."

He also called the iPhone "enormously underpriced," saying that it's worth far more than the $1,000 Apple charges.

"I have a plane that costs me a lot, a million dollars a year or something of the sort. If I used the iPhone -- I use an iPad a lot -- if I used the iPhone like all my friends do, I would rather give up the plane," he said. 

"Now it's got competition so you can't push the price, but in terms of its utility to people and what they get for a thousand dollars...you can have a dinner party that would cost that, and here this is, and what it does for you, it's incredible."

• Reply 76 of 139
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/warren-buffett-says-he-bought-just-a-little-more-apple-recently.html

"Buffett explained that he loves Apple as an investment due to the power of its brand and ecosystem, not its short-term financial results.

"I do not focus on the sales in the next quarter or the next year," he said. "I focus on the ... hundreds, hundreds, hundreds millions of people who practically live their lives by it [iPhone]."

He also called the iPhone "enormously underpriced," saying that it's worth far more than the $1,000 Apple charges.

"I have a plane that costs me a lot, a million dollars a year or something of the sort. If I used the iPhone -- I use an iPad a lot -- if I used the iPhone like all my friends do, I would rather give up the plane," he said. 

"Now it's got competition so you can't push the price, but in terms of its utility to people and what they get for a thousand dollars...you can have a dinner party that would cost that, and here this is, and what it does for you, it's incredible."

From a man that seems to have little contact with or understanding of the real world.

At least even he is admitting that competition is working. Someone should point him to a P20 Pro to see what he's missing. ;-)
  • Reply 77 of 139
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

From a man that seems to have little contact with or understanding of the real world.

At least even he is admitting that competition is working. Someone should point him to a P20 Pro to see what he's missing. ;-)
    You should work on converting your wife to the Mate 10, same as what you are using.
  • Reply 78 of 139
    JustAnotherLonelyVoiceJustAnotherLonelyVoice Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    Aloysius said:
    iPhone eXcesS?
    No , it’s 10S. 
    Yeah... but no one I know calls it the iPhone "10". Despite what Apple claims. 
    Just because other people are stupid, un-educated or lazy, doesn't mean you have to be too... Try harder.
    spheric
  • Reply 79 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    smarky said:
    Who pronounces it as iPhone 10? It's generally called the iPhone X, if apple wanted people to call it the iPhone 10 why did they change it from being numbers to a letter? I would of thought they already would of named the models for this year, when they named last years models, but it seems kinda dumb that they didn't think this through previously.

It's like OSX, nobody calls it OS 10. It's OSX, yes, it means ten, but it's pronounced X.
    Please don’t say “nobody” most people call it ten, not X. A lot of people do call it X though. Same thing with both products.
    ronn
  • Reply 80 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Well if Apple wouldn’t have 15 different models to choose from, they wouldn’t have this naming problem in the first place. They lost that simple vision they had with SJ. He even cut all the “XS” (haha) fat from the product lineup when he returned in the 90’s saying that was part of Apple’s problem. And it was! You need a simple product portfolio. Not a bloated one. Look what happened to the domestic car manufacturers in the early 00’s. How many different versions of 1 vehicle did GM have from the same platform, just different names? That’s way too much fat. Cut the fat and keep only the lean products that prop up the business. Stop trying to please everyone, it’s never going to happen. Build a couple and if people love it, they’ll buy it. If they don’t, they won’t. We don’t need 3 new phones. Especially ones that all look like the X. My carrier was always the same and I was perfectly happy with choosing between 2 or 3 colors and 2 or 3 memory configurations. I was thoroughly disappointed at the X last year and it never grew on me. These new ones don’t interest me, either. Yet I STILL love the look of my gold 6s Plus and it still works like it did on day one. And the best part, it’s been paid off for a looooong time now! 
    When you’re serving a market sized in the billions it makes sense that you might need in the range of a dozen models.  Why don’t we hear you criticizing Samsung for having 60+ models on sale at any one time?  Hmm.
    Nokia, at its peak, had 225.