Apple Watch 'Series 4' leak shows slimmer chassis with larger screen & new watch face

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    ChetNYC said:
    I love that watch face. I hope it work on a Series 2. I am not about to drop $600 on a new watch when the one I have works fine. The one thing that bugs me with the complications is that is only lets you use Apple Calendar when you hit the date. In short, the native calendar is so bad in my eyes, that to say it sucks is too high a complement. I've used Informant Pro for years. I get to see an actually calendar when I look at a month display and not a pile of dots.
    Then use a complication that is attached to the app you want to use, they're dependent on the app making them available to the Watch face. Apparently Informant has complications:

watchOS app

Informant 5 now includes a free watchOS app with watch face complications, shows your events for the current week, shows tasks that are due, overdue or starred.

• Reply 42 of 92
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    Then… stop reading news, dipshit. ߤ禺wj;♂️ 
    I don't think you understand how low of an intelligence level you need to have to consider that a valid point, not to mention doubling down with a weak and petty insult.

Kinda pathetic.

So many Fragile Felicia's getting triggered.
    Sure, but the lowness needed to reply to that kind of lowness… That be some real bad lowness, fam.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Tripling down huh? Pointing out that you don't seem very smart doesn't really say much about me one way or another, fam.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    seankill said:
    I have the Series 2, so it’s probably not worth an upgrade for me. My wife has the series 1, I might get her one of these for Christmas. 

Thank god they are tuning back the red dot on the crown, talk about a ***king ugly design feature. Beyond me why Apple had red dots and thought they looked good. And I generally don’t care about colors too much. 
    I agree. One reason why I skipped the series 3 was that stupid red dot on the cellular. The other was I already had a 2. Didn’t seem worth it just to gain cellular. But that series 4 is beautiful! I might have to upgrade finally. Now, just wish the phones looked just as good. The design of the X and now the new ones this year are butt ugly! Who the hell approved that ugly camera on the back?! It’s sharp edges are in stark contrast to the smooth, fluid design of the rest of the phone. It looks like they forgot it and just super glued it to the glass at the last minute. I’m in no way interested in the phones (again) this year. 
    Man, you’ve got some strange thoughts.
    patchythepirateSpamSandwichpeterhart
  • Reply 44 of 92

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
  • Reply 45 of 92

tmay said:
    melgross said:
    There is no way to tell, from that picture, whether the case is slimmer or not. I doubt Apple would make it slimmer. Remember they made it slightly thicker for the GPS model, for a larger battery. So unless some major battery breakthrough has occurred over a year, that won’t hsppen.

but the edge of the crown is definitely more rounded. My Series 3 crown is flat on the edge. The side button also looks to be flusher to the case as well, though that’s hard to tell for certain.

to be honest, the picture does NOT show a screen with less bezel. It looks to be the same. I’m looking at mine, and the complications are as far to the corners and edges as what I’m seeing in the picture. That doesn’t mean the screen isn’t larger (in the same case size), just that the picture isn’t evidence of it. Of course, we’ve had rumors that the case would be slightly larger to accommodate a larger screen, so that could be what we’re seeing. But I can’t tell that from the band attachment either, in this picture. It’s been said the case would just be 1.5 to 2mm larger, so that might not show up, if it was what we’re seeing. There could be some combination. A slightly larger case, and a screen that’s larger and goes slightly closer to the sides. If that’s so, then the better battery life could be the reason, with a slightly larger battery.
    I don't think that it is slimmer, but if you compare the corner radii, the new one definite looks to have increased the fillet radii at the corners. It looks much more organic.
    It doesn’t look particularly different to me.
    peterhart
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Mintz said:
    Great, 9to5 going out of their way to ruin the fucking surprise for everyone again.

I still havn't gone back to that site since they ruined the X unveiling, or macrumors.

Total d bags, with no integrity.

That out of the way.. Apple watch 4 looks AMAZING.  Definitely upgrading from my nike series 2.
    Rumor sites are not just for rumors... it's for getting as much info possible (leaks included) - and publish...
    If one doesn't like them - or feels like it ruins the surprise... then stay away...

I love the news/leaks - and knowing how products are evolving - not just finished product that's shipped... especially for the exciting products like Apple

There's a difference between leaking guesses/possibilities and leaking fully baked images and marketing material directly from Apple.

One is fun and adds to the enjoyment of following Apple.

The other takes away from the experience of following Apple (and, arguably, does damage to Apple itself, by giving an upper hand to competitors, or decreasing the impact of product releases on consumers).

You say you love knowing how products evolve, but releasing fully baked marketing images kills the process of observing a product's evolution, and also ruins the surprise.
    ronndecodering
  • Reply 47 of 92
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    damonf said:
    That metal looks way too shiny to be aluminum.  I imagine that's a new "gold" color for the steel Apple Watch, very likely color matched to the new gold steel-frame option of the iPhone XS shown in the 9to5Mac photo.
    It’ll feel like the original Edition at a bargain stainless steel price
  • Reply 48 of 92
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    melgross said:
    There is no way to tell, from that picture, whether the case is slimmer or not. I doubt Apple would make it slimmer. Remember they made it slightly thicker for the GPS model, for a larger battery. So unless some major battery breakthrough has occurred over a year, that won’t hsppen.

but the edge of the crown is definitely more rounded. My Series 3 crown is flat on the edge. The side button also looks to be flusher to the case as well, though that’s hard to tell for certain.

to be honest, the picture does NOT show a screen with less bezel. It looks to be the same. I’m looking at mine, and the complications are as far to the corners and edges as what I’m seeing in the picture. That doesn’t mean the screen isn’t larger (in the same case size), just that the picture isn’t evidence of it. Of course, we’ve had rumors that the case would be slightly larger to accommodate a larger screen, so that could be what we’re seeing. But I can’t tell that from the band attachment either, in this picture. It’s been said the case would just be 1.5 to 2mm larger, so that might not show up, if it was what we’re seeing. There could be some combination. A slightly larger case, and a screen that’s larger and goes slightly closer to the sides. If that’s so, then the better battery life could be the reason, with a slightly larger battery.
    Yeh, and besides, I'm skeptical about the "thinner" because, especially among athletes, battery life has been the single biggest complaint.   (The watch won't last through a marathon unless you run really fast!).  Plus, as they add more gunk on (like LTE and streaming Apple Music), that's only going to reduce battery life even further.  

I'll be surprised if its thinner.
    You’re looking at it the wrong way, in terms of athelets, a potential smaller battery will make marathon athletes run faster so their AW doesn’t die on them. So once again thanks Apple :wink: 
    fastasleepmatrix077
  • Reply 49 of 92
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    gutengel said:
    Whats the UVI complication? Does the new watch will be able to tell if you have too much UV exposure?!
    It probably just pulls the UV Index from the weather report. I don't think the watch would be actively measuring your personal UV exposure.
    netrox
  • Reply 50 of 92
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I guess it's finally time to retire my series zero.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    dunks said:
    I guess it's finally time to retire my series zero.
    Same here but it will be another stainless steel for me I had a series 3 sport but dented the case and cracked the screen pretty easily by accident and never did any damage near that with my stainless.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
     I really dig that the edge-to-edge bigger screen with pop up colours icon. This year is going to be a year I finally replace my Gen 0 Steel AW. Can't wait.
    SpamSandwichspheric
  • Reply 53 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kevin kee said:
     I really dig that the edge-to-edge bigger screen with pop up colours icon. This year is going to be a year I finally replace my Gen 0 Steel AW. Ca't wait.
    For all the bitching and moaning about how the Apple Watch sucked it's amazing how many people have kept their Series 0 Watch for so many years. I finally jumped from Series 0 to Series 3 last year because of cellular due to a strong desire to move much of my iPhone usage to the Watch. With watchOS 5 I'm hoping that SiriusXM and Spotify will become stand-alone apps that will let keep my headphones paired with the Watch and allow me to use my iPhone even less. I'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting that I'll get a Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for an unprecedented 3 years without an update when my norm was updating annually. I think that a testament to just how wonder the Apple Watch product is.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
     I really dig that the edge-to-edge bigger screen with pop up colours icon. This year is going to be a year I finally replace my Gen 0 Steel AW. Ca't wait.
    For all the bitching and moaning about how the Apple Watch sucked it's amazing how many people have kept their Series 0 Watch for so many years. I finally jumped from Series 0 to Series 3 last year because of cellular due to a strong desire to move much of my iPhone usage to the Watch. With watchOS 5 I'm hoping that SiriusXM and Spotify will become stand-alone apps that will let keep my headphones paired with the Watch and allow me to use my iPhone even less. I'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting that I'll get a Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for an unprecedented 3 years without an update when my norm was updating annually. I think that a testament to just how wonder the Apple Watch product is.

It's like you've always said - inessential but indispensable (or something to that effect)!
    Solifastasleep
  • Reply 55 of 92
    From this RENDERING (it's not a photograph!), I too don't know how it was concluded that the watch is slimmer with a larger display. It looks essentially the same to me (other than the colour). I hope the design is noticeably refined but I cannot tell from this rendering.

Still, I'm ready to upgrade my series 0.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:

Two great changes — removing the red dot, and adding a speaker or mic on the buttons side, which on a left handed wearer is typically  the side facing out of a coat sleeve. 
    I don’t understand this dislike for the red dot. Many watches have some distinguishing thing to indicate something special about that model. The red dot is it,for Apple. Mine is black SS with the red dot, which looks really good with black. I suppose,some,people will be happier with what it looks like Apple has done
    Most dislike it because out of place on a refined piece of equipment.  
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 57 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    LukeCage said:
    melgross said:

Yeh, and besides, I'm skeptical about the "thinner" because, especially among athletes, battery life has been the single biggest complaint.   (The watch won't last through a marathon unless you run really fast!).  Plus, as they add more gunk on (like LTE and streaming Apple Music), that's only going to reduce battery life even further.  

I'll be surprised if its thinner.
    You’re looking at it the wrong way, in terms of athelets, a potential smaller battery will make marathon athletes run faster so their AW doesn’t die on them. So once again thanks Apple :wink: 
    Good snark!
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    Those of us that got the gen 0 steel AW really seem to have been more hardcore about sticking to it, and it does make us have to use a phone less; BUT…

We're also, on average, older; meaning that we're experiencing less peer pressure about always having to have the latest stuff, combined with that the phones have just gotten more expensive without adding any new must-have features (the last must-have for me was Touch ID).

So, why get a new phone when the old one is just as good as a new one would be?

I mean, I do like the edge-to-edge:ness of the screen on the iPhone X; but is it really a killer feature making all older iPhones obsolete?

What features are lacking, and that would straight up make all existing iPhones feel obsolete?

3D-screens/effects aren't really new, and has so far only made people head straight for the off-switch.

Holograms are just way too far into the future.

Augmented reality… would be awesome, but we have that without it being a killer feature (at least not until we get Apple Glasses; which wouldn't be a new phone, but a whole new product category).

Foldable displays? That size reduction would be revolutionary, but the tech will probably not scale enough to be used in an iPhone any time soon.

What else?
  • Reply 59 of 92
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    The red dot never bothered me. I don't believe it's out of place on the Watch lineup. That said, I do like the red ring even better. 

I'm curious about the case finish. Is the Gold Edition coming back? I don't think so. Is Apple making gold filled cases? Possibly. Gold plated? Not a chance. (I don't think so, anyway.)

It looks to me like that image represents a stainless steel watch in 'gold' lighting. We'll see on the 12th.

As has been said over and over, each time as though it was the first time, the UV complication is most likely drawn from some weather app. But it would be simple for Apple to put a UV sensor in the Watch, for UV radiation 'where you are'.

As far as the physical changes are concerned, based solely on the image, the Watch looks slimmer to me. That could be done with a thinner, newly designed crystal. I wouldn't expect the body to be thinner because of battery constraints. As someone else noted, the crown appears to be slightly domed, compared the current version.

The side button is definitely more flush than it's current counterpart. Solid state stuff like the crystal, get a little wonky when wet. I hope it's still an actual button.

The corner radii in the pic do not appear as tight or sharp as on the Watches now. Good catch. I don't believe that's perspective.

But I'm in, regardless. Time to upgrade my S2. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 60 of 92
    macgui said:
    The red dot never bothered me. I don't believe it's out of place on the Watch lineup. That said, I do like the red ring even better. 

I'm curious about the case finish. Is the Gold Edition coming back? I don't think so. Is Apple making gold filled cases? Possibly. Gold plated? Not a chance. (I don't think so, anyway.)
    They've actually filed fewer SKUs than in years past. Either they're dropping the "Edition" altogether, or all models will be LTE.