Apparent iOS 12 beta bug causes never-ending notifications to update software

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sflocal said:
    Are people here in the beta program that have nothing to do with actually testing it?

It’s “Beta”.  The “B” might as well stand for “Bugs”.  Why is this even being reported on?  Slow day?

Every time you wake your device from sleep that message box pops up. It’s annoying ad hell. And both developers and those on public beta are getting it. I’m sorry but this is not something acceptable with beta software and hopefully the fix will be coming today.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    dewme said:
    This is what beta releases are for. However, if the bug is as described and tied to an expiration date it seems like it's an odd bit of logic. These types of update services are typically either Push based where the server pushes a message to the client device to inform the device of a change, or Pull based where the client device periodically checks with the server to see if any changes are needed. Engaging the user through a popup notification should always be conditional either way, i.e., only done if a change is necessary. Strange.

Yeah definitely not something that can be explained away by “it’s a beta”. iOS 12 beats have been very stable for me and most bugs were mentioned in the release notes. Clearly whatever happened here was not intended and a fix needs to come out today.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    sflocal said:
    Are people here in the beta program that have nothing to do with actually testing it?

It’s “Beta”.  The “B” might as well stand for “Bugs”.  Why is this even being reported on?  Slow day?
    Because it’s comment threads like these that help Apple solve these bugs a bit faster and ultimately save the devs time.
    Wishful thinking. It’s the Feedback app in the beta build where you submit bugs into the system that helps them. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 44 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tjwolf said:
    I see this dialog every time I bring the iPhone out of sleep :-(  A little disturbing to see these kinds of problems in such a late beta.  I’m actually encountering an even worse one in this late beta: my phone crashes/reboots whenever I view a complex PDF and try to zoom in.  Very annoying since our architect has been sending us floor plans we were supposed to comment on :-(
    As has been hammered away at for years now, no one should be using a beta release in an actual work environment. It's just plain stupid to do so and then complain it is annoying and hurting one's job performance. Go ahead and be "a little disturbed" all you want. Wring your hands all you want. No sympathy.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 45 of 58

booga said:
    sflocal said:

Are you actually in software development?? I’ve been doing it for decades, and the field-update mechanism of a product is something you want to really nail early. It’s the one thing that, if it becomes inoperable, leads to a complete support meltdown. The fact that it’s buggy 12 days before go-live and for a product where Apple actively encourages non-developers to try it *IS* a little scary, and definitely newsworthy.
    I have too and complaining about bugs in beta is foolish nonsense.

Also, iOS l2 likely won’t drop the day of the event so you’re dates are off. 
  • Reply 46 of 58
    sflocal said:

Every time you wake your device from sleep that message box pops up. It’s annoying ad hell. And both developers and those on public beta are getting it. I’m sorry but this is not something acceptable with beta software and hopefully the fix will be coming today.
    Not acceptable? Who’s asking you to accept it, you signed up to beta test! God you newbs to software ar ridiculous. This is exactly what a beta is for. Do you think their beta release candidate did this for them? Of course not. It’s something about conditions outside their office that triggers it, which is why betas exist. 

Oh but mah phone!
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Yeah started getting this message like late Wednesday afternoon! FaceID has been slow to respond as well with beta 11
  • Reply 48 of 58
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    Encountering bugs during the beta program means that the program is working AS INTENDED. Not sure why people complain about beta builds... you should be happy to discover a bug for the rest of us! You have my thanks for sure!
    edited August 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 49 of 58
    sflocal said:

Not acceptable? Who’s asking you to accept it, you signed up to beta test! God you newbs to software ar ridiculous. This is exactly what a beta is for. Do you think their beta release candidate did this for them? Of course not. It’s something about conditions outside their office that triggers it, which is why betas exist. 

Oh but mah phone!
    I’m not a newb to software. Nobody sigh up for a beta expecting to be spammed every time they wake their phone from sleep. The fact that Apple sent out an update next day just to fix it shows it was not a typical bug with beta software. Stop being a shill for everything Apple does. The company can make mistakes you know.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    hexclock said:
    Encountering bugs during the beta program means that the program is working AS INTENDED. Not sure why people complain about beta builds... you should be happy to discover a bug for the rest of us! You have my thanks for sure!

People running beta software know all about (and expect) bugs. Heck in many of these betas Apple would point out known bugs in the release notes. Considering how quickly Apple sent out another beta to fix it I think it’s clear this was not a typical bug that comes with beta software.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    hexclock said:

People running beta software know all about (and expect) bugs. Heck in many of these betas Apple would point out known bugs in the release notes. Considering how quickly Apple sent out another beta to fix it I think it’s clear this was not a typical bug that comes with beta software.
    And yet, remains the entire purpose of public and dev betas — to expose that which isn’t exposed inside the dev studio. 

I love it when people who don’t write or produce software tell the rest of the world how to write and produce software. “It should be easy, right?”
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 52 of 58

sflocal said:

Oh but mah phone!
    I’m not a newb to software. Nobody sigh up for a beta expecting to be spammed every time they wake their phone from sleep. The fact that Apple sent out an update next day just to fix it shows it was not a typical bug with beta software. Stop being a shill for everything Apple does. The company can make mistakes you know.
    Explaining why your complaints of bugs in a beta is completely stupid doesn’t make me a shill for anybody. I have plenty of posts with complaints....calling me names is just deploying an ad hominem attack because you’re at an intellectual dead end and have no further rational points to argue.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Apple just released the next public Beta. Issue has been resolved. 
  • Reply 54 of 58
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    hexclock said:

I hear you.. I have no idea what they change between builds. I would love to be a beta tester but I never seem to have a spare phone lying around. 
  • Reply 55 of 58
    I had this same issue and submitted a note to Apple yesterday and received a software update today that corrected the issue. 
  • Reply 56 of 58
     I found a fix for this. On my iPhone 7 Plus I noticed that the profile had been removed. I downloaded The beta profile and would you believe I have an update available. 
  • Reply 57 of 58
     I found a fix for this. On my iPhone 7 Plus I noticed that the profile had been removed. I downloaded The beta profile and would you believe I have an update available. 

For me this did not help. I just removed the beta profile, and downloaded it again. Still no update to fix this thing.

So every time i use my phone i get this annoying message.