Apple begins logic board replacements for iPhone 8, claiming 'very small percentage' of de...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday initiated a free logic board replacement program for some owners of the iPhone 8, admitting that "a very small percentage" of units were shipped out with a manufacturing defect.

Apple iPhone 8

Impacted devices were sold between September and March in Australia, China (including Hong Kong and Macau), India, Japan, New Zealand, and the U.S. The company has put up a search tool through which people can screen their phone's serial number.

The issue doesn't affect the iPhone 8 Plus, Apple noted.

Assuming an iPhone is listed as affected, people must then make an appointment at an Apple store or authorized service provider. Alternately owners can contact Apple support directly and arrange for a mail-in, but all three methods involve iPhones being sent to a distant repair center. It's critical to backup a device to iCloud or iTunes before handing it over.

iPhones with the faulty boards may freeze, reboot, or outright fail to turn on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    My iPhone 8 freezes all the time, but its serial number is not in the range Apple has designated as problematic. When the phone freezes, it buffers up all the key presses, then spits them all out at once, usually going into SOS mode (which I have to quickly cancel). It’s _super_ annoying. Fortunately, the XS upgrade happens in a month, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    😞 sad 😢......too late just sold my iPhone 8
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    My iPhone 8 freezes all the time, but its serial number is not in the range Apple has designated as problematic. When the phone freezes, it buffers up all the key presses, then spits them all out at once, usually going into SOS mode (which I have to quickly cancel). It’s _super_ annoying. Fortunately, the XS upgrade happens in a month, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Within a year Apple Care is in full force. Why would you not return that phone? If it doesn't resolve with a restore they would swap that out for a new one without issue. Unless the issue is from detectable abuse as soon as it started to malfunction I personally would have made an appointment and taken it in. 

I am also ready for the XS!!  My gf gets my 2 month old 8 plus and I will be grabbing the XS!   B)

I had an issue with the charging on my 8 plus. After a few charges wireless or plugged it would stop giving the indicators that it was plugged in and charging. Screen wouldn't light up, show the battery icon or give a quick vibrate to let you know it was charging. If I restarted it would work for about 5-6 times being plugged in and then start the same behavior.  I dealt with it for a while because it was charging without  a problem and going to the Apple Store in my area can be a pain. Finally in July I had enough and made the genius appointment. After plugging and unplugging it a few times the genius saw the same behavior I described and had someone bring a new phone out right away. 

JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This came out of nowhere. Apple tech blogs weren’t ragging on this previously, were they? I don’t remember AppleInsider reporting on this. I have an iPhone 8 but no issues at all. I did check my serial number and it’s not in the range. I for one believe Apple when they say it’s a “very small percentage” of devices. And I believe Apple then when they say it is a manufacturing defect, not some design defect.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    So why on earth have you not taken it in for a diagnostic?
    JFC_PAStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    When one Apple product is problematic, simply buy another. Smart!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    nunzy said:
    When one Apple product is problematic, simply buy another. Smart!
    OR just get it repaired or replaced. A product under a year old? Trivial (and free). 
    bb-15StrangeDaysnunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    For the record, I’m super-lazy, and mainly use my phone for GPS and Holedown. I’m on the upgrade program, so I’m in line for a new phone yearly, so like I said, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Now, if I were having problems with my iPad, I’d be in the Apple Store the next day. I use the iPad more than any other single Apple product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Have a coworker with an iPhone 8 who had these issues. Took it in multiple times to the Apple Store.  Was told several times that they would not replace it until they could replicate it in the store because the diagnostic tests said there was "no problem".  One employee even accused my coworker of lying. Eventually, they replaced it, but not until months of frustration.  I'm betting that theirs fell into this serial number range.  

• Reply 10 of 11
    wanderso said:
    Have a coworker with an iPhone 8 who had these issues. Took it in multiple times to the Apple Store.  Was told several times that they would not replace it until they could replicate it in the store because the diagnostic tests said there was "no problem".  One employee even accused my coworker of lying. Eventually, they replaced it, but not until months of frustration.  I'm betting that theirs fell into this serial number range.  

I doubt the Apple Genius accused your coworker of lying. In all of my years of interfacing with them (or any retailer) never have they been accusational or snide. Apple retail has always been chill and friendly, no matter which store I’m at. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wanderso said:

I doubt the Apple Genius accused your coworker of lying. In all of my years of interfacing with them (or any retailer) never have they been accusational or snide. Apple retail has always been chill and friendly, no matter which store I’m at. 
    Exactly. People come up with all sorts of things to enhance their tales of woe. I have always been treated with respect by Apple Store employees. They are human beings and one's approach to them should be human too. Even though all employees who face the public are taught to deal with verbal and even physical abuse from customers they still take things personally at times. Honey always catches more flies than vinegar. A customer can be firm without being aggressive, insistent without being accusatory, forcefully  stating the issues without raging and cursing. It's something self-appointed tech gods should remember when they have a problem. Rolling your eyes at an Apple Genius  or questioning their intelligence to their face will usually not go well. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra