Apple Watch surges to top of global wearables market with 'market-beating growth'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    claire1 said:
    This doesn't sound right. Others have 46% marketshare? Apple at only 17%!!

Anecdotal:
    In the U.S. I hardly see android wear anymore and see a few Fitbits a month. Is the rest of the world really buying that much crap?

Last month I saw about:
    50 Apple Watches
    2 Fitbits (4 if you count bands)
    1 Android wear

Every time I grocery show I easily see 10 Apple Watches, even in lower class 'hoods.

Can anyone outside the U.S. give us your anecdotal estimates?
    Anecdotally, living in a country where Apple is fairly niche, Android watches are also rare but what I do see are Garmin watches on my friends. Personally, I have one but only wear it for sport and then go watchless the rest of the day. It's possible that unless you are watching runners or cyclists in action, you won't see them. Also, I know a lot of kids have cheap Chinese knock offs so that could be where the Others are coming from.
    I assume that while Garmin sells very few watches, they congregate in certain purpose driven situations. Such as running, possibly bicycle riding, and some other sports. Garmin timers have been used in sports for some time, and so I suppose buying a Garmin Watch seems to fit that.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:
    claire1 said:
    This doesn't sound right. Others have 46% marketshare? Apple at only 17%!!

Anecdotal:
    In the U.S. I hardly see android wear anymore and see a few Fitbits a month. Is the rest of the world really buying that much crap?

Last month I saw about:
    50 Apple Watches
    2 Fitbits (4 if you count bands)
    1 Android wear

Every time I grocery show I easily see 10 Apple Watches, even in lower class 'hoods.

Can anyone outside the U.S. give us your anecdotal estimates?
    Anecdotally, living in a country where Apple is fairly niche, Android watches are also rare but what I do see are Garmin watches on my friends. Personally, I have one but only wear it for sport and then go watchless the rest of the day. It's possible that unless you are watching runners or cyclists in action, you won't see them. Also, I know a lot of kids have cheap Chinese knock offs so that could be where the Others are coming from.
    I assume that while Garmin sells very few watches, they congregate in certain purpose driven situations. Such as running, possibly bicycle riding, and some other sports. Garmin timers have been used in sports for some time, and so I suppose buying a Garmin Watch seems to fit that.
    My experience verifies what you said:   Garmins are primarily meant for sport rather than general purpose watches.   I run with a run club and virtually all of them use Garmins.   In fact, they start their runs by announcing:  "Start your Garmins!".

From everything I have seen and heard, the Garmins tend to make better sports trackers -- at least for running for a couple reasons:
    1)  Battery life.  The Apple high end OLED screen is great, but not for battery life.  Apple traded performance and functionality for battery life.
    2)  Buttons instead of a capacitive screen.   The Garmins are controlled by hardware buttons rather than touch screen -- which makes them easier to use with wet, sweaty fingers and without looking at them.
    3)  The Garmins seem to have better software for serious runners than the Apple Watch --- even though I am certain that the AW has the more powerful hardware to drive anything they can code.  Apple could fix that, but they seem to be more focused on the casual, everyday kind of user.

None of that (Except the comment on the software) is meant to denigrate the Apple Watch.  It's a jack of all trades while the Garmins are masters of a few.  That's life.  It's like complaining that your BMW can't corner like a Porsche or carry a half ton of gravel like a Silverado.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Sad day. Apple has succeeded convincing a lot of people that it's OK for your watch to only last one day. Reminds me when you had to wind your mechanical watch each evening, except charging your Apple watch takes longer, and maybe you have to also charge it again in the morning, to make sure you start with a full battery for the day ahead.
    Sad day. Apple has convinced people that they should sleep for a few hours a night just so they can charge the watch. 

Oh, the humanity. 
    No, they should have their watch on their wrists to track their sleep. It's an important function.
    If you've read comments about the Watch you'd know that many wearers do wear to bed to record their sleep habits. There are countless sleep apps for watchOS.
    Nuanced discussion does not seem to go over too well in these forums. I was replying to Rayz2016 who was saying that people should charge their watches while they sleep.
    There's a lot of discussions going on across each other. I read back to your original comment. I do typically charge my Watch in the morning, but not because I need it topped off for the day, but because I usually take a shower and I don't wear a Watch in the shower. I'd argue that setting it down on the charging stand is less effort than having to wind a watch daily. I only charge my Watch when I'm showering. Putting into AirPlane mode to converse power at night and reenabling the radios in the morning is inarguably more effort with a digital crown press, swipe up, and button press than placing it on the charging stand.
    Heh - I tap airplane mode and theater mode - don't like the display lighting up when I turn over at night.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Sad day. Apple has succeeded convincing a lot of people that it's OK for your watch to only last one day. Reminds me when you had to wind your mechanical watch each evening, except charging your Apple watch takes longer, and maybe you have to also charge it again in the morning, to make sure you start with a full battery for the day ahead.
    Sad day. Apple has convinced people that they should sleep for a few hours a night just so they can charge the watch. 

Oh, the humanity. 
    No, they should have their watch on their wrists to track their sleep. It's an important function.
    If you've read comments about the Watch you'd know that many wearers do wear to bed to record their sleep habits. There are countless sleep apps for watchOS.
    Nuanced discussion does not seem to go over too well in these forums. I was replying to Rayz2016 who was saying that people should charge their watches while they sleep.
    There's a lot of discussions going on across each other. I read back to your original comment. I do typically charge my Watch in the morning, but not because I need it topped off for the day, but because I usually take a shower and I don't wear a Watch in the shower. I'd argue that setting it down on the charging stand is less effort than having to wind a watch daily. I only charge my Watch when I'm showering. Putting into AirPlane mode to converse power at night and reenabling the radios in the morning is inarguably more effort with a digital crown press, swipe up, and button press than placing it on the charging stand.
    Heh - I tap airplane mode and theater mode - don't like the display lighting up when I turn over at night.
    Yeah, one of the annoyances. I’d like an easier, quicker method of keeping the screen off at night, unless I awake, and tap the screen to see how bad my insomnia is.

Even better would be if the light sensor could be set to sense how dark it would have to be to stay off unless tapped, or changed, possibly by working with the time.
    edited September 2018