• Reply 21 of 22
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I think starting prices will be more like:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

So Apple is going to drop the price of the X by $100? When have they reduced the price of the newest iPhone before? I don’t think the 6 was cheaper than the 5s it replaced.
    You're comparing different sizes where costs clearly had to increase for their given level of quality. They have dropped iPhone prices many times and I'd be willing to bet that Canukstorm is based that on Apple's history of dropping the price after expensive, new technologies have paid for themselves in terms of original R&D costs and a lowering of component costs.

The word is that the 5.8" iPhone will still start at $999, but if they the OLED and True Depth components they're using have dropped and they know they can produce enough units to serve a certain expected increase with the influx of new customers for that lower price point they would alter the price if it earned them more earned income for the model.
    The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6. The 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S. And I believe the 8 actually increased in price. I’m not aware of any example where the flagship iPhone got cheaper (other than more storage for the same price). ASPs are higher than ever.
    Why would those devices be cheaper?
    Why would the Xs be cheaper than the X?
    Again, just as we've seen with other price bumps and drops when expensive new tech is introduced it's not unreasonable to think that the 5.8" iPhone for a given year could come down in price. Do you remember how the move to both IPS and Retina displays in the MacBook Pro with a new milled chassis caused a hefty hump in price which eventually dropped?

If costs come down and they can make enough devices they may be able to make more profit from the product line through additional unit sales by reducing the price because it opens it up a many more potential customers. What exactly is confusing about that?

The real question is why you think prices are set in stone once raised and will never go down despite you knowing full well that they have? 
    Again, tell me when a new flagship iPhone launched at a cheaper price that it’s predecessor. The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6, the 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S and the 8 actually went up in price. 
    Just because history has shown it hasn't happened doesn't mean it will never happen.  Take the MBA: when it first launched it cost $1,799.  As time went on, newer and better models sold for $1,299.  And now it's selling for $999.  The $999 model selling today is much improved vs the first model that sold for $1,799.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 22 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    As canukstorm said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I think starting prices will be more like:

iPhone 6.1" - $749
    iPhone Xs 5.8" - $899
    iPhone Xs 6.5" - $1,049

So Apple is going to drop the price of the X by $100? When have they reduced the price of the newest iPhone before? I don’t think the 6 was cheaper than the 5s it replaced.
    You're comparing different sizes where costs clearly had to increase for their given level of quality. They have dropped iPhone prices many times and I'd be willing to bet that Canukstorm is based that on Apple's history of dropping the price after expensive, new technologies have paid for themselves in terms of original R&D costs and a lowering of component costs.

The word is that the 5.8" iPhone will still start at $999, but if they the OLED and True Depth components they're using have dropped and they know they can produce enough units to serve a certain expected increase with the influx of new customers for that lower price point they would alter the price if it earned them more earned income for the model.
    The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6. The 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S. And I believe the 8 actually increased in price. I’m not aware of any example where the flagship iPhone got cheaper (other than more storage for the same price). ASPs are higher than ever.
    Why would those devices be cheaper?
    Why would the Xs be cheaper than the X?
    Again, just as we've seen with other price bumps and drops when expensive new tech is introduced it's not unreasonable to think that the 5.8" iPhone for a given year could come down in price. Do you remember how the move to both IPS and Retina displays in the MacBook Pro with a new milled chassis caused a hefty hump in price which eventually dropped?

If costs come down and they can make enough devices they may be able to make more profit from the product line through additional unit sales by reducing the price because it opens it up a many more potential customers. What exactly is confusing about that?

The real question is why you think prices are set in stone once raised and will never go down despite you knowing full well that they have? 
    Again, tell me when a new flagship iPhone launched at a cheaper price that it’s predecessor. The 6S wasn’t cheaper than the 6, the 7 wasn’t cheaper than the 6S and the 8 actually went up in price. 
    Just because history has shown it hasn't happened doesn't mean it will never happen.  Take the MBA: when it first launched it cost $1,799.  As time went on, newer and better models sold for $1,299.  And now it's selling for $999.  The $999 model selling today is much improved vs the first model that sold for $1,799.
    As already shown, Apple has raised and lowered prices of their devices countless times, but now she's purposely qualifying it be a flagship (which excludes the MacBook Air example), an iPhone (which excludes my MacBook Pro examples), and only over its predecessor (which excludes the original iPhone dropping in price after a few months). She's also ignoring how Apple has double storage—which is how they've tiered their iPhone models—so they can be $100 cheaper than its predecessor for that same capacity.

She also refuses to answer basic questions as to why she doesn't believe that Apple would raise or lower prices to meet demands if it was better to increasing their profits. This is Econ 101 stuff that she should already now.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobrabb-15