Silicon Valley's product strategy won't work with health care, says Apple veteran

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

Please.  You can't force people to lead a healthy lifestyle. There are millions of people in this country who rarely eat much besides high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar processed carbs and who never exercise beyond walking around a shopping mall, if that.   In 2015-16, the incidence of obesity in the U.S. was 39% and it's continually rising. 

Walk into a Walmart or big-box store that sells food and watch what people load into their shopping carts and the size of their bodies.   33 million Americans ate 16 or more bags of potato chips in 2017.  In 2016, 15% of adults over 18 still smoked in the U.S.    There are plenty of people in this country who never really walk at all as they live and work in environments where they drive everywhere.    A CDC study found that almost 90 percent of adults in the United States failed to meet government recommendations for vegetable intake.                                               

That's not to say that health care in the U.S. isn't a disaster, but it's not the fault of the medical profession that Americans don't take care of their health.   It's their own stupidity, the culture of instant gratification, an addiction to fat and sugar and the refusal to take responsibility for their own actions.    While it may be true that doctors and medical institutions make their money from treating disease instead of preventing, how could a doctor or hospital help Americans lead a healthier lifestyle?  The reality is they can't.   I don't know of any doctor who doesn't regularly say, "you should lose some weight" or "your blood pressure would be lower if you lost weight" or "you're going to be diabetic unless you lose weight and reduce carbs."   

Yep, you're pretty much on target here. 

It's America. You can choose to make bad decisions if you want to––don't study, don't brush, don't move, drink and eat poorly, etc. As always, there are consequences, both personal and societal, but you're still free to eat what you want, weigh what you want, and be as stationary as you want. 

You can't say you've never been told to shape up in all those regards because doctors are in some secret industry cabal to undermine your health. They usually have much better things to do.
    Yep!   And don't you worry Farmboy!   We'll pay to treat the diseases you created with your bad choices.   That's why our DiseaseCare system is racking up a $3 Trillion a year bill!

Maybe we should go back to before the ACA where those who got sick couldn't get insurance to pay for their DiseaseCare.   That would solve the money problem.   It would be killing the Americans who make those bad choices (and some who just had bad luck or bad genes).   But at least it would save money.  Do Ya Think It Would Work?
    Are you suggesting that all diseases have a casualty that is created by the infected person's choices? Do you really not think that we should have experts dealing with diseases as well as preventive medicine?
    Nice spin of my actual words!   Or did you just decide to jump in and cherry pick a few words here or there to support your agenda?

If you ever want to have an actual discussion of an important topic, please let me know...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

Please.  You can't force people to lead a healthy lifestyle. There are millions of people in this country who rarely eat much besides high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar processed carbs and who never exercise beyond walking around a shopping mall, if that.   In 2015-16, the incidence of obesity in the U.S. was 39% and it's continually rising. 

Walk into a Walmart or big-box store that sells food and watch what people load into their shopping carts and the size of their bodies.   33 million Americans ate 16 or more bags of potato chips in 2017.  In 2016, 15% of adults over 18 still smoked in the U.S.    There are plenty of people in this country who never really walk at all as they live and work in environments where they drive everywhere.    A CDC study found that almost 90 percent of adults in the United States failed to meet government recommendations for vegetable intake.                                               

That's not to say that health care in the U.S. isn't a disaster, but it's not the fault of the medical profession that Americans don't take care of their health.   It's their own stupidity, the culture of instant gratification, an addiction to fat and sugar and the refusal to take responsibility for their own actions.    While it may be true that doctors and medical institutions make their money from treating disease instead of preventing, how could a doctor or hospital help Americans lead a healthier lifestyle?  The reality is they can't.   I don't know of any doctor who doesn't regularly say, "you should lose some weight" or "your blood pressure would be lower if you lost weight" or "you're going to be diabetic unless you lose weight and reduce carbs."   

It's America. You can choose to make bad decisions if you want to––don't study, don't brush, don't move, drink and eat poorly, etc. As always, there are consequences, both personal and societal, but you're still free to eat what you want, weigh what you want, and be as stationary as you want. 

You can't say you've never been told to shape up in all those regards because doctors are in some secret industry cabal to undermine your health. They usually have much better things to do.
    Yep!   And don't you worry Farmboy!   We'll pay to treat the diseases you created with your bad choices.   That's why our DiseaseCare system is racking up a $3 Trillion a year bill!

Maybe we should go back to before the ACA where those who got sick couldn't get insurance to pay for their DiseaseCare.   That would solve the money problem.   It would be killing the Americans who make those bad choices (and some who just had bad luck or bad genes).   But at least it would save money.  Do Ya Think It Would Work?
    Are you suggesting that all diseases have a casualty that is created by the infected person's choices? Do you really not think that we should have experts dealing with diseases as well as preventive medicine?
    Nice spin of my actual words!   Or did you just decide to jump in and cherry pick a few words here or there to support your agenda?

If you ever want to have an actual discussion of an important topic, please let me know…
    I'm responding to the words you wrote and asking you to clarify your meaning. You're the one choosing not have "an actual discussion" which tells me that I didn't interpret your potentially ambiguous statement the wrong way.
    JWSC
  • Reply 23 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

If you ever want to have an actual discussion of an important topic, please let me know…
    I'm responding to the words you wrote and asking you to clarify your meaning. You're the one choosing not have "an actual discussion" which tells me that I didn't interpret your potentially ambiguous statement the wrong way.
    LOL....  You jump in on an ongoing, lengthy discussion, cherry pick a few words and spin them to suit your agenda.   Then accuse me of not being willing to have a discussion!  

If that is the only way you can defend your agenda, you may want to rethink that agenda.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

LOL....  You jump in on an ongoing, lengthy discussion, cherry pick a few words and spin them to suit your agenda.   Then accuse me of not being willing to have a discussion!  

If that is the only way you can defend your agenda, you may want to rethink that agenda.
    My agenda was trying to get you to restate your comment because I'm not sure if you included any sarcasm when you denounced ACA and said that we should kill Americans to save money.

Personally, I'm all for universal health care, and want professionals working to treat diseases and prevent diseases. The "if you have a disease its all your fault" notion is ridiculous and not treating diseases but instead letting those people die because it hasn't directly affected you is beyond shortsighted.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

My agenda was trying to get you to restate your comment because I'm not sure if you included any sarcasm when you denounced ACA and said that we should kill Americans to save money.

Personally, I'm all for universal health care, and want professionals working to treat diseases and prevent diseases. The "if you have a disease its all your fault" notion is ridiculous and not treating diseases but instead letting those people die because it hasn't directly affected you is beyond shortsighted.
    I suggest that you go back and reread the comment that you are misquoting.   If you are unable to understand it, no amount of restating it will help.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

I suggest that you go back and reread the comment that you are misquoting.   If you are unable to understand it, no amount of restating it will help.
    I have re-read it several times. The wording seems sardonic, but it matches with the crap you wrote in post 12, hence me asking you to clarify your position "to kill Americans to save money," but you refusing to answer tells me that you meant what you said.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 27 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    farmboy said:
    zoetmb said:

I have re-read it several times. The wording seems sardonic, but it matches with the crap you wrote in post 12, hence me asking you to clarify your position "to kill Americans to save money," but you refusing to answer tells me that you meant what you said.
    Your continued misquotes, cherry picking and taking things out of context tells me you're just pushing an agenda.   If you decide to have an actual discussion, please let me know.