More malicious apps found in Mac App Store that are stealing user data

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,475member
    Can't Apple just add an utility that sniffs all data that are coming out of apps and alert consumers what data is being transmitted - and display plain text - to servers that designated in America? It seems odd that Apple did not take that into account. Apple can forbid developers from encrypting data before sending so consumers can review the data being sent and to where the data is being sent to.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 34
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Also now being reported are numerous popular iOS apps selling user data including location history. One of those days....

Good thing that never happens with Android.  ;)
    Yeah, maybe not so much difference between the two platforms as some of us have assumed. "Malware-infested Google Play AppStore" today. Maybe tomorrow we'll have the obligatory "Yeah but Google" story? :)

At least these are mostly late Friday stories so most folks won't even hear about 'em. 
    Somehow, I have a little idea that 30/2mil iOS apps is maybe less of a problem than the malware infested google play store. ߘ᦬t;/div>

The report on this is out. These Apps aren't exactly malware, as they didn't infect the users devices or find an exploit in iOS. They are simply Apps that, after you have given them permission to access things like location, are tracking it and sending it off to 3rd party monetization firms. Turning off location services stops this from happening.

Still not good that Apps are able to do this, but I don't know how it can be prevented once you give an App access to location.
    Wrong story Eric. You probably meant to post this in the thread about the iOS apps which are monetizing user data. A little confusing today I agree. There's at least three or four current stories about various security issues with iOS and/or Mac apps.

Not confused at all. You tried to inject the iOS story into this thread so I replied to this thread.

Nobody ever claimed Macs or iOS are immune to these issues. But they are in a completely different league from Android/Google. With countless stories all year long of another batch of Apps sneaking into the Google Play Store or another Android exploit or Google tracking your location when you don’t think it is, I can understand the strong desire to make fun of Apple when it happens to them. After all, victories are so few and far between for your employer that it must feel good to see Apple have to deal with these issues. So enjoy your weekend and have a couple beers - it won’t last long.
    racerhomie3watto_cobraRayz2016bakedbananasAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 34
    danR2222danR2222 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I use Android and am quite confident state actors will exploit any loophole they can find. I've given up on mobile apps. There are two non-native apps on my phone. For the most part, I use it as a... phone. Beijing is not going to stop.
    watto_cobrachristopher126
  • Reply 24 of 34
    chefgregchefgreg Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Is there any bad news on ONYX? I've been using it for years and have trusted it, but it does ask for admin pw before each use. Article says that is a no no.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    NightFlightNightFlight Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Isn't it kind of like shooting fish in a Barrel? Apple folk are easy marks when it comes to tech.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Isn't it kind of like shooting fish in a Barrel? Apple folk are easy marks when it comes to tech.
    This isn’t android or the common as muck cheap windows devices, so no. 

In fadt its unisual that Apples system has an issue. In most cases google in particular is leaking information everywhere. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 27 of 34
    chefgregchefgreg Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Is there any bad news on ONYX? I've been using it for years and have trusted it, but it does ask for admin pw before each use. Article says that is a no no.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member
    chefgreg said:
    Their Privacy Policy is here:
    https://www.onyxcentersource.com/privacy-policy/

Pretty much boilerplate altho they do say that "anonymised" data can be used in any way and for any purpose. Otherwise the only concern I might personally have is their association with Marketo who does not have any clear disclosure of what data they are collecting and using, how it's being utilized/combined with other data, nor a reliable method to review and correct or delete what they have collected. The two choices are either accept it all or opt out altogether. 
    edited September 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 29 of 34
    frantisek said:
    Please could you clearly and simply list apps we have to avoid? Not burden it into text.
    Great idea Fran...This is very serious. I just deleted all of the Dr. series apps I got from the Apple App Store.

This list should be at the top of the list of Ai articles for awhile and be added to daily. Just deleted GasBuddy and load of other third-party apps. 

Thinking of really minimizes my installed apps to just Apple Apps, Notes, Maps, Mail, etc.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 30 of 34
    I've known this for over a year now... ever since the day i did a search for "AntiVirus" apps on the Mac App Store. Dozens come up that look suspiciously alike in their interface design, fonts they use like HELVETICA LIGHT. Big open spaces in the app .. like an Apple Retail Store.. They all put shit everywhere on your Mac. You'll know you've been had When you Launch  APP CLEANER And See all those pieces, AS you Uninstall these ROGUE WARES. What App do I Use for adware and virus removal? NAH-TING!
  • Reply 31 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Shows how much Apple is really screening for these things.  *rolls eyes*

FAIL.
    So far about four apps have been outed.  Four.

care to list others or do you consider 4 out of countless to be the last straw?
    bakedbananasAlex1N
  • Reply 32 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sflocal said:
    Shows how much Apple is really screening for these things.  *rolls eyes*

FAIL.
    So far about four apps have been outed.  Four.

care to list others or do you consider 4 out of countless to be the last straw?
    He’d have a better argument talking about the major cullings that Apple has periodically done since Jobs was CEO. Those eliminated bad and potentially harmful apps by the thousands.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Add all the apps from Trend Micro to the malicious list. That was discovered today. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 34 of 34
    The publicity has certainly gotten Apple's attention. While earlier reports had been that Apple was taking some time to remove some of the violating apps (if at all) after being reported, not anymore. This latest batch from Trend Micro have already been removed. I suspect this is just the tip o'the iceberg. 
    edited September 2018 Alex1N