This week on AI: Full-steam ahead towards Apple's 'iPhone Xs' event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
It's time for last-minute rumors ahead of Apple's Sept. 12 event, where the company is expected to reveal the "iPhone Xs," the Apple Watch "Series 4," and refreshed iPad Pros, among other products.

Apple Sept. 12 iPhone event

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Here are some of the most popular news items and features:

• Apple predicted to call 2018 flagship iPhone model 'iPhone Xs Max' > >
  • Apple Watch 'Series 4' might use bigger 384x480 resolution > >
  • Incoming 2018 iPhone lineup tipped to cost the same as current models > >
  • Apple exec Eddy Cue 'overextended,' falling asleep in meetings > >
  • Apple seen hunting movie acquisitions at festival > >
  • Video: What to expect from the 2018 iPhone lineup at Apple's 'Gather round' event> >
  • Renders reveal purported 2018 iPad Pro with near edge-to-edge display, iPhone-like antenna lines > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of other top stories this week:

Everything new with the Photos app in iOS 12

Trade-in guide: Where to get the most money for your used iPhone, iPad, Watch or Mac ahead of Apple's Sept. 12 event

Apple pushes out tenth developer beta for macOS Mojave [u]

Review: JBL's Link View brings a display and high-quality audio to Google Assistant

Apple escapes most punitive measures in VirnetX FaceTime, VPN trial

Review: Fibaro Motion HomeKit sensor is more than meets the eye

Apple, Beats by Dre signs exclusive deal with NBA, team-branded headphones coming

Third-party USB-C to Lightning cables likely coming in 2019

Evernote might be in trouble, so here's how to get your notes out of it completely and safely

Logitech Crayon for iPad to reach general public on Sept. 12

Apple Pay delayed in India over data storage and authentication rules

EU gives thumbs up to Apple's takeover of music discovery service Shazam

Apple creates webpage for quicker response to law enforcement requests

'iPhone 9,' 'iPhone Xs' and 'iPhone Xs Plus' pre-orders launched by Romanian carrier ahead of Apple's event

Spyware maker mSpy exposes iCloud info as part of massive data breach

Video: Looking at the rumors around Apple's 'iPhone 9,' 'iPhone Xs,' AirPower and more

Remembering the radically ever-changing iPod nano

Ikea could introduce blinds with Apple HomeKit support to smart home range

Qualcomm legal strategy backfires, Apple handed win in patent trial early motions

Top Mac App Store utility 'Adware Doctor' is stealing user information

Video: Apple's iPhone X nears perfection with iOS 12

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Just skip the event and go straight to shipping my new gen 4 lte AW, ok?  :)

// Things might turn ugly (read: one person riot) if these don't hit my local market from the start.  :D //
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Is there any chance there will be no mention of AirPower? :wink: 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    svanstrom said:

// Things might turn ugly (read: one person riot) if these don't hit my local market from the start.  :D //
    The next Apple Watch seems more important to many longtime Apple users this time around. I'm glad to see that.

matrix077 said:
    Is there any chance there will be no mention of AirPower? :wink: 
    I have no idea what they will or won't announce, but I'd be less surprised by an AirPower notice  (and AirPods with a inductive charging case) with prices and shipping dates than not saying anything.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    To me the podcasts with Victor and William are among the best ones - keep it going!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Soli said:
    svanstrom said:

The next Apple Watch seems more important to many longtime Apple users this time around. I'm glad to see that.
    I'd say that among longtime Apple users the stars are definitely aligning as far as the next AW…

First of all, we can't ignore the fact that in a world that generally speaking is more health aware, we longtime users are getting older (meaning that we've had more than enough reminders about our own mortality); and the AW is right now the only device that, ignoring a straight up dedicated medical devices, could save our lives.

Combining that with us always wanting the latest as it is released, and the lte AW taking its time to hit all markets/providers, as well as many of us still using a stainless steel gen 0… It just seems natural that this is where a lot of people are getting in on a new upgrade cycle.

BUT… all that could of course fizzle if the only update is a slightly different screen size/smaller bezel.

If they actually managed to get glucose monitoring into this one I'd want it no matter the price; but without any upgraded sensors at all, I just don't see why I would need a gen 4.
    watto_cobra