iPhone X versus Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Which phone for 'Fortnite' gaming?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    samrod said:
    Just curious, are you two main AI reviewers brothers? Also, for the first time, I finally saw you break from your serious AI presenter speak into regular human speak during the game play. You and (I assume) your bro do great reviews (he's dresses better), but you both can be slightly less serious. Maybe a drink or a joint before the review videos? A technical note: if the Samsung consumed 16% of a much larger capacity battery in the same amount of time than the iPhone X consumed 15% of a smaller one, then that game is drawing serious power. But that's to be expected given that one's running in the DART JVM while the other is natively compiled code and has the Metal GPU framework.
    The Android version is also mostly native. The JNI/NDK has been available and used by game devs forever. The phones running Fortnite support Vulkan for graphics. So the plying field is more or less equal. Not sure if the difference in battery capacity is comparable to the difference in screen size, but I'd guess so.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    Here we go again. Compare a phone about to discontinued in a few days with a phone thats new, and which performs better? Just can’t wait another week or two for this to be done with Apple’s new product,
    Mel, I don't think the performance differences are nearly as evident as they once were. Commenters I see who use both platforms (and it seems it's not uncommon) indicate it's more personal preference anymore rather than impactful performance or OS differences. 
    So we should see a comparison between Apple’s new 6.5” model and last year’s Samsung S8? That would be fair? No, it wouldn’t. And this isn’t either. Even though Apple’s older phones outperform the newest Samsung, which is why Samsung had to compare the 9 against an iPhone 6 in their latest commercials, it still isn’t fair. And since no one really knows exactly what the new phone will do, or how well, what your saying isn’t known, but performance isn’t close, and hasn’t been.

a writer said last year that Android devices are rated on a curve. So while it might be tenure that relative to each other, in their flagship models, there isn’t much difference (there is), there’s a lot more difference between Android phones and iPhones. Sometimes so much so that they don’t use testing apps across the spectrum that work with both, so that direct comparisons can’t be made, even though there are Apple that will do so.
    Mel, ignore all these tests of processors and such that supposedly prove the superiority of "this" over "that". They don't prove anything, useful as a guideline and not much else. Real life users of both the iPhone X and "flagship" Android models don't report much if any performance difference. Go to a site like Android Central who counts a number of iOS users in its membership and where the platform is highly regarded to see what kind of experiences they actually report. 
    It’s very interesting that at times, over the years, you try to show that Apple’s things perform badly, but when they perform better, you dat to ignore it. There’s no reason to ignore significantly better performance. It impacts everything. I’d rather go to anandtech or ARS to read their reviews. Those are pretty thoughtful and completely, including a good time of usage. But, even those are beginning to conceal some performance differences by using apps that are not for both, even though they are available for that purpose. The difference in performance is getting wider, not closer.
    I've NEVER tried to show any Apple product performed badly. Not once. If you don't want to look that's on you, but discounting the actual real-life experience of side-by-side users of both platforms in favor of specs seems silly to me if you're trying to discern the practical differences. 
    It only seems silly to you when it’s in Apple’s favor.
    Again with more silliness, attributing yet more fictious stuff about things I've not done.  Geesh Mel.
    Then stop coming here and attempting to degrade Apple’s accomplishments. Because, really, that’s pretty much all you do. You’re eager to show that something else is better, even though it’s not. That’s pretty much your entire history here, and we all know it. You can stop pretending that it isn’t.

we know that hardware and software performance is extremely important for all the user feel you say is important. If it weren’t important, then Samsung, and some others would have cheated on benchmarks testing, until found out, and Huawei and others wouldn’t be doing that now. Since increased performance is mostly responsible for perceived handling qualities, pretending it isn’t is nonsense.
    edited September 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    Here we go again. Compare a phone about to discontinued in a few days with a phone thats new, and which performs better? Just can’t wait another week or two for this to be done with Apple’s new product,
    Mel, I don't think the performance differences are nearly as evident as they once were. Commenters I see who use both platforms (and it seems it's not uncommon) indicate it's more personal preference anymore rather than impactful performance or OS differences. 
    So we should see a comparison between Apple’s new 6.5” model and last year’s Samsung S8? That would be fair? No, it wouldn’t. And this isn’t either. Even though Apple’s older phones outperform the newest Samsung, which is why Samsung had to compare the 9 against an iPhone 6 in their latest commercials, it still isn’t fair. And since no one really knows exactly what the new phone will do, or how well, what your saying isn’t known, but performance isn’t close, and hasn’t been.

a writer said last year that Android devices are rated on a curve. So while it might be tenure that relative to each other, in their flagship models, there isn’t much difference (there is), there’s a lot more difference between Android phones and iPhones. Sometimes so much so that they don’t use testing apps across the spectrum that work with both, so that direct comparisons can’t be made, even though there are Apple that will do so.
    Mel, ignore all these tests of processors and such that supposedly prove the superiority of "this" over "that". They don't prove anything, useful as a guideline and not much else. Real life users of both the iPhone X and "flagship" Android models don't report much if any performance difference. Go to a site like Android Central who counts a number of iOS users in its membership and where the platform is highly regarded to see what kind of experiences they actually report. 
    It’s very interesting that at times, over the years, you try to show that Apple’s things perform badly, but when they perform better, you dat to ignore it. There’s no reason to ignore significantly better performance. It impacts everything. I’d rather go to anandtech or ARS to read their reviews. Those are pretty thoughtful and completely, including a good time of usage. But, even those are beginning to conceal some performance differences by using apps that are not for both, even though they are available for that purpose. The difference in performance is getting wider, not closer.
    I've NEVER tried to show any Apple product performed badly. Not once. If you don't want to look that's on you, but discounting the actual real-life experience of side-by-side users of both platforms in favor of specs seems silly to me if you're trying to discern the practical differences. 
    Again with more silliness, attributing yet more fictious stuff about things I've not done.  Geesh Mel.
    Then stop coming here and attempting to degrade Apple’s accomplishments. Because, really, that’s pretty much all you do. You’re eager to show that something else is better, even though it’s not. 
    Any example or are you just making this up on the fly?

Don't be so anxious to make things personal when there's zero reason for them to be. ZERO.
    That's a tactic often employed by someone losing an argument. I'm not the "someone", nor does anyone need to "lose" unless that's all you're gunning for with no interest hearing anything that might not 100% agree with your preconception. 
    edited September 2018 singularity
  • Reply 24 of 30
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

Mel - Any idea why AnandTech did not publish a detailed review of A11 or iPhone X/8/8 Plus? They did a deep dive on Snapdragon 845, Exynos 9810 and Kirin 960/970. But no deep dive on A11.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I thought this site was AppleInsider – not JumpShipToSamsungInsider. Being balanced and fair is one thing, but can't we keep things in perspective, please? This is NOT a site about choosing between competing platforms, and I'm getting truly, heartily sick of reading comparisons between iPhones and the latest Samsung here – especially when they INVARIABLY seem to come down on the side of Samsung. Before reading this article, I'd have put money on its conclusion being either that the two phones are equal or that the Samsung has the edge over the iPhone. This site is read by Apple fans, a lot of whom despise Samsung with a passion. (I'm one of them. I accept that Samsung makes many fine products and components, but its morals and business practices turn my stomach, and I'll NEVER buy a Samsung-branded product on principle.) And this site is SUPPOSED to be about Apple, not Samsung. It's not a general-purpose phone-comparison site; it's a site about Apple and Apple-related products. Beside, why the obsession with Samsung in particular? The stories about Samsung here seem endless, yet there's no similar concentration on other Android makers. Covering Apple's relationship with Samsung is all very well (the court cases etc.), but I'm sick to death of seeing reviews and comparisons involving Samsung's top phones and tablets here, especially when this site seems to bend over backwards to portray them in a wonderful light and to the detriment of the Apple products that it's supposed to be interested in. I'm here because I like Apple. Even if I didn't despise Samsung (which I do), I wouldn't be very interested in its products because I have no interest in jumping ship to Android. So WHY is there this CONSTANT banging on about whether readers should buy the iPhone X or the latest potential fire-hazard from Samsung? If the Samsung's camera is marginally better than the iPhones, then frankly that's irritating and I don't really know about it (though in real terms it's also totally inconsequential). And if you're going to do a head-to-head with the same game on both platforms, why not show a game that actually demonstrates how the iPhone X has significantly better performance than the Samsung in terms of both processor and graphics (which it does)? You know, instead of falsely making out that ANY Samsung phone is on a level with the iPhone for performance? This latest article is both irritating and misleading, and is excessively pro-Samsung on a supposedly Apple site. It's the latest in a long trend towards such articles, and they're starting to make me question why I'm reading and supporting AppleInsider. I'm here for Apple news, not to have the supposed wonders of Samsung shoved down my throat every other minute. There's plenty of other sites where I can be brainwashed about Samsung, thank you very much. Get your act together, please, AppleInsider, or you'll start losing readers.

You would be better off looking at the author of the article - If DED, then proceed to read. Else, close the browser and move on to what would make you happier.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

Mel - Any idea why AnandTech did not publish a detailed review of A11 or iPhone X/8/8 Plus? They did a deep dive on Snapdragon 845, Exynos 9810 and Kirin 960/970. But no deep dive on A11.
    Ever since Anand left to work for Apple, they seem to be cutting back on their detailed Apple coverage, and leaning more towards their Android coverage. I can’t get an answer from them about any of this. We’ll see what happens with the new devices.
  • Reply 27 of 30

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

Then stop coming here and attempting to degrade Apple’s accomplishments. Because, really, that’s pretty much all you do. You’re eager to show that something else is better, even though it’s not. 

Don't be so anxious to make things personal when there's zero reason for them to be. ZERO.
    That's a tactic often employed by someone losing an argument. I'm not the "someone", nor does anyone need to "lose" unless that's all you're gunning for with no interest hearing anything that might not 100% agree with your preconception. 
    Oh, just stop it. Looking at your posting history says it all.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

Gotcha, making in up on the fly then. Agreed we should both stop it. It's not silly season.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

Gotcha, making in up on the fly then. Agreed we should both stop it. It's not silly season.
    I agree, you should stop.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

I agree, you should stop.
    :/
    edited September 2018