Apple Care worth it??????

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    My Pismo malfunctioned after 2,5 years...

But I have learned that as long as you don´t want to buy your computer in the Apple store you can find some retailer that offers a (relative) cheap insurance that also offers cover for damage done by you (accendentally of course. Not if you want to test if your iBook really is made of bullet proof plastic).

As I said: I got it for free. Two retailers offer this in Denmark.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Where I live (Norway) the consumer laws are so good you really don't need to pay extra for Service. Anyone selling anything up here are obliged to give you this for free, with a 3 year warranty.

Of course an insurance against theft or accidental damage is always smart with portable computers.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you play your cards right, you can upgrade your machine well before that year is up, and there won't be much of a difference between the loss you take at eBay and the cost of AppleCare.

For my iBook, it's $389 CDN. Over 400 bucks with tax for a warranty that likely won't get used. It's a safe bet I wouldn't lose more than $400 upgrading this machine 6 months down the road...(or 4... or 3... )

The only time I EVER lost money at eBay was selling my dual GHz tower and 17" LCD... of course, after just selling the InDesign package I received through their promo, I've officially made money on that one too...

Anything in the first year is covered anyhow, you just don't get the full year of phone support (and that what Mac boards are for anyway).

If you're keeping it for a long time, it may be worth it. I just think there are cheaper ways of insuring such things (Safeware, home insurance, extended warranty with a Gold Visa, etc...)

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 31
    burnburn Posts: 49member
    Murbot, I hate you ;-) joking!

My decision has just been made harder..

I am at the end of my year of warranty on my Ti550/Combo.. I am not EBay savvy, but AppleCare Protection is most likely around the corner for me..

Anyone care to share their opinion?

AppleCare for my Ti here in Canada is $617 (w/taxes)

I don't think I can get more than $1000 for my machine.. just doesn't add up to consider an upgrade path..

For the record it performs perfectly for my needs. Although the new 17"PB is in my dreams.

I think my situation could be considered for the "not playing your cards correctly" designation.

Care to enlighten a fellow Canuck on these 'cheaper' insurance steps you know of? What can the options you suggest offer better than AppleCare? or are you referring to the type of insurance that simply covers things 'diappearing'?

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Burn ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, you let yourself slide through a few upgrade cycles there, so the eBay idea won't fly in your situation...

That's a LOT of money for AppleCare. That's money that you will definitely be forking over. Compare that with your home insurance deductible... and the fact that you may not even have to ever use it...

Just thinking outloud here. Safeware or some other such computer insurance would cover you if it, say, accidentally fell off the balcony or something. Not that would ever happen to you though, right?

You could get yourself a nice 10GB iPod for that money.....

Your call though dude.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Hehe, I get it.

I tend to hold onto my hardware and repurpose around the home anyway so I am not too stressed over it (the 17" or a new tower is in my near future [summer]).

It basically adds up to $300/yr for the next two years for technical protection of a machine that cost $3000 new that I made my money back from a long time ago.

Not too hard to swallow I guess.

Thankyo for the suggestion. Don't know if you're near the west coast, but if not - HOW'S THE SNOW?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    :eek: How unmoral

So Murbot. You are saying buy new and sell early? Do the hardware lose more from second to third product cycle that from first to second (hope you undestand what I meant)
  • Reply 28 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders the White:

<strong>My Pismo malfunctioned after 2,5 years...

But I have learned that as long as you don´t want to buy your computer in the Apple store you can find some retailer that offers a (relative) cheap insurance that also offers cover for damage done by you (accendentally of course. Not if you want to test if your iBook really is made of bullet proof plastic).

As I said: I got it for free. Two retailers offer this in Denmark.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but what broke? HD? CD? I highly doubt that the problem was the electronics.

And to Burn:

You can probably get US$1400+ depending on the condition of the machine. I've seen powerbooks lesser than your listed for 1200.

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 31
    I had left the computer running for half a day and when I came home the screen and HD was dead, it was heated and a kind of smoke went up from the upper left corner of the base. It had a metallic smell. Nothing there but Infrared and external screen connectors. When I tried to power the computer up a week later the HD ran and I could open the CD drive. But no start up sound and the screen was all black. After half a minute the screen turned blurry white and the LCD did NOT look okay.

To my best judgement one of two things had happened:

1) The fan had not sparked in and the computer was overheated and had caused the damage. BUT those who have Pismos know the fan almost NEVER kicks in esp. not when its not used. And if the computer just had heated up the computer is designed to shut down.

2) Some kind of shortcut had happened in the electronics on the motherboard and the heat had caused damage to other parts of the system. Most likely its the gpu on the motherboard that caused the damage (since the smell came from the corner where the video ports are and the screen was fried as well)

But is anyone know whats in the upper left corner of the motherboard I´ll be a lot closer to what happened.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    It does cost a lot.

It should be worth more.

Others do it better.

It is unacceptable.

Did (will) you buy it?

[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I think AppleCare now costs way too much in Canada. For the price, coverage ought to be on-site/next day with telephone support for the whole time. Our Dell coverage (which for the same price as Apple gets us 4-5 years) includes plenty of excellent support and hassle free service. I colleague got a 17" LCD replaced for ONE, that's right ONE, dead pixel. Appel seems to be a real stickler for that, and just refuses to replace your screen unless it's practically peppered with bad pixels. Considerng how much more Apple charges, this is completely unacceptable.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 31 of 31
    i've never bought apple care. my parent did on their mac but never had to use it. after i had some weird problems with my dual gig 2002 , which ended up being nothing, but still it scared me . so i'm considering it