Verizon's '5G' home broadband to launch on Oct. 1, free Apple TV 4K included

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    It'll be nice to finally (whenever that day comes for this where I live) have an option that isn't my cable company. I'm currently paying $85 for 120 Mbps, but at least no data caps. DSL isn't an option where I live, and I'd never go back to that again, anyway. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    urashid said:
    Pretty sweet deal especially the free upgrade to industry-standard router. Wish it was available in my neck of the woods.
    Yeah its really great of them to charge you to be a beta tester.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    urashid said:
    Soli said:
    Any word on dntacaps for those prices?
    "...it's promising speeds of "around 300 Mbps" up to 1 Gbps, with no data caps." https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/11/verizon-5g-home/
    That won’t last long.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    nunzy said:
    I'm glad that Apple will not offer any 5G products. They use too much battery and use too much data. That's why they waited years to offer 4G iPhone. Same thing.
    Every mobile handset provider will be racing to 5G.  Larger pipes and lower latency have the potential to offload compute resources to cloud compute and reduce the need for large memory and multi-core, higher speed CPUs.   Imagine a mobile device not needing 64GB+ of storage, 1/4th the RAM and running on a single core at slower clock. You’d have thinner and battery for a week because it would only need beefy GPU and sexy display.
    The issue is with the distance. 5G mobile variants need to be close. A small 5g cell has about a half-mile radius for low-frequency transmissions, and a few hundred yards for higher, microwave frequencies. You need to blanket the town with these. I guess it would probably be cheaper than tearing up the road, but you still need back haul to these mini cells. Also you need each town's permission to put all these small cells. You're not going to get large deployments for a while and 5G will be very spotty. Most rural towns will not get it and if they get any kind of 5G it will be the fixed version that can trade bandwidth for distance.  

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3276654/mobile-wireless/don-t-believe-the-hype-we-re-a-long-way-from-5g.html
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 25 of 32
    On a positive note, Elon Musk’s low-orbit high-speed satellite Internet service should be rolling out in a year or two. More competition for high-speed data and communications.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    This news is promising for rural customers. Then again, it will probably take years before people who live out in the country have access to 5G. 
    The U.S. still has rural areas that can't get anything better than dial-up for internet!

I just moved into a rural area 4 months ago. My only options were Hughes Net or this local broadband company that has towers all over the countryside. I went with the latter because you can't do online gaming on Hughes Net. The price I pay is outrageous for 13mb download speed. I tried to see if I could get DSL, but I'm a few miles too far out. 
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This news is promising for rural customers. Then again, it will probably take years before people who live out in the country have access to 5G. 
    The U.S. still has rural areas that can't get anything better than dial-up for internet!
    I just moved into a rural area 4 months ago. My only options were Hughes Net or this local broadband company that has towers all over the countryside. I went with the latter because you can't do online gaming on Hughes Net. The price I pay is outrageous for 13mb download speed. I tried to see if I could get DSL, but I'm a few miles too far out. 
    That doesn't sound fun. I like to escape for a week or two every year by going far way from internet connectivity, but I don't think I could live in it. Was the transition tough?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    fallenjt said:
    Fuck 5g towers. Fuck Verizon and Fuck this Dickless Congress for allowing these towers to be built every other mile across the entire country effectively turning the landscape into a legitimate dystopia. 
    Move to the moon and you’ll be happy!
    Nope. We blew up the Moon.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    welshdog said:
    fallenjt said:
    Fuck 5g towers. Fuck Verizon and Fuck this Dickless Congress for allowing these towers to be built every other mile across the entire country effectively turning the landscape into a legitimate dystopia. 
    Move to the moon and you’ll be happy!
    Nope. We blew up the Moon.
    It was real... and it was spectacular!
    welshdog
  • Reply 30 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    avon b7 said:

I would hope that similiar solutions to the Huawei option would be part of a US rollout.
    No - that almost never happens in the US. The Feds will most certainly not put any restrictions on antennas because of the ridiculous "States Rights" cult that exists in Washington. Any antenna controls will be left to the states and most if not all will do nothing.  Considering that 5G uses millimeter wave radio as a critical part of the transmission scheme, antennas will be as common as birds on a wire. They will litter the landscape to a degree never before seen.  Millimeter wave cannot penetrate walls, windows or even leaves on trees.  This Verizon offering most surely will include a mandatory antenna to be placed on the outside of your domicile or building. I notice they have not mentioned this fact in their press releases.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Soli said:
    That doesn't sound fun. I like to escape for a week or two every year by going far way from internet connectivity, but I don't think I could live in it. Was the transition tough?
    I thought it was going to be tough, but I love living out in the country. I'm only like 15 minutes from the city so it's not bad at all. Surprisingly, I can still stream stuff from Netflix and iTunes in 4K. That was one thing I was worried about. The downside to my internet is it takes forever to download large software updates or games from the Playstation Store. Two people can't be streaming at the same time, otherwise it's going to be constantly buffering the video. Where I'm at is nothing compared to where my relatives live in Montana. They have to drive hours to a grocery store and have no internet. I couldn't do that. 
    edited September 2018 Soli
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Rayz2016 said:
    This is the very least of your problems. 
    We're born..we live..we all face adversity. Then we come here for escape, even a little humor now and then. Look here, you could say I'm a shareholder.. I'm on the TCook train. Things change.. and evidently the physical landscape has to look more like the the borg cube than planet earth for people, excuse me, "Folks" to be content with their lives in 2018 19 20 21 22 .. profit uber alles/n..    again, F 5G