Apple Store sitemap leak confirms 'iPhone XS,' 'iPhone XS Max,' & 'iPhone Xr' names for 20...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple appears to have confirmed the names of some of its incoming iPhone models for 2018 just ahead of its "Gather Round" launch event, after the product sitemap file for the online Apple Store was updated to include accessories for the "iPhone XS," "iPhone XS Max," and "iPhone Xr" suspected to be for the 6.1-inch LCD model.

The product sitemap file, which lists all of the major pages on a website that makes it easier for search engines to crawl it, includes a large number of listings for products in Apple's online storefront. According to All Things How, the sitemap included listings for accessories for Apple's upcoming products, with the page URLs explicitly naming the new devices.

The screenshot provided by the report indicates there to be 70 pages using the term "iPhone XS" in the sitemap. Many of the links also include the term "Max," indicating the accessory is intended for the larger model expected later today.

The sitemap also includes references to the "iPhone XR," which could be the lower-cost LCD model that has previously been called the "iPhone XC" and "iPhone 9" in rumors. Also seemingly confirming earlier reports that Apple is planning to ship the model in a variety of different colors, the sitemap also advises the "XR" model will be available in black, blue, coral, red, white, and yellow options.

The XML file details protective cases in an assortment of colors and materials.

According to the report, none of the links were active at the time of discovery. As Apple has since brought the online store down in preparation for the iPhone launches, it is difficult to verify if the report is genuine, but recent rumors have suggested the same "iPhone XS" and "iPhone XS Max" naming scheme.

Apple will be holding its "Gather Round" reveal event later today, with the headline products expected to include an updated 5.8-inch OLED "iPhone XS," a 6.5-inch "XS Max" model, and a value 6.1-inch LCD-based "iPhone XR."

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Xs Max and Xr are the dumbest names ever. Please god let Apple be punking us all.
    GeorgeBMacairnerdzroger73
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Xs Max and Xr are the dumbest names ever. Please god let Apple be punking us all.
    I agree. It’s time to pick a name, say iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone whatever. Add the year of release on it and be done with it. The number is a bit dated at this point. 
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 3 of 32
    What does the R stand for? i know which model phone it is, but is it just a random letter or does it have meaning? i've yet to read anything explaining this...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    regardless of whether we "like" the name...the industry will soon imitate and adopt the same
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 32
    NY1822 said:
    regardless of whether we "like" the name...the industry will soon imitate and adopt the same

Except this time Apple seems to be taking its cues from Android land. Xs Max sounds like some Droid phone Verizon would sell.
    airnerdCarnagekingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I agree! 
    sweetheart777
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Xs Max. But you'll be scolded if you don't pronounce it "ten ess max". Thanks for that, Apple.
    airnerd
  • Reply 8 of 32
    NY1822 said:
    What does the R stand for? i know which model phone it is, but is it just a random letter or does it have meaning? i've yet to read anything explaining this...
    ? Retina
  • Reply 9 of 32
    The new iPhone Tennis, iPhone Tennis Max and iPhone Tennis Racket
    bikertwinmuthuk_vanalingam1STnTENDERBITSdmdevairnerdCarnagespace2001
  • Reply 10 of 32
    How about the iPad Pro 11”?
  • Reply 11 of 32
    berndog said:
    NY1822 said:
    ? Retina

All iPhones have retina screens.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Only Apple can “get away with” product names of “extra small” and “extra small max.”  Colbert and co. will have fun with this tonight. (And it won’t affect sales one bit.)
  • Reply 13 of 32
    R - Regular.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    rockaw said:
    Xs Max. But you'll be scolded if you don't pronounce it "ten ess max". Thanks for that, Apple.
    Then let the scoldings begin.  I’ll call it the “Excess Max” forever, and I’ll own one for the next year.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Excess Max
    ....  Sounds like a supplement you'd find in "nutrition" store for weight lifters
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Stephen Colbert was interviewing Bob Woodward the other day, who said he'd been accused of being an Ultra Centrist. Stephen compared it to asking for clothes in Extra Medium. Or a bit like an XS Max phone.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I don’t care what it’s called. Max, Plus, Super-Sized, Just release already. I’m ready for the upgrade. 
    airnerd
  • Reply 18 of 32
    seankill said:
    I agree. It’s time to pick a name, say iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone whatever. Add the year of release on it and be done with it. The number is a bit dated at this point. 

How about using the same naming convention as the company's other products - iPhone Pro and iPhone?  You can add 6.5 inch and 5.8 inch to differentiate between the pro models.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I can understand ‘max’ I think If was chosen to demonstrate that it will be the the maximum Apple will go in terms of screen size. 

Personally, Apple needs to name the 6.5” OLED phone the iPhone pro and get it over with lol 

apple appears to have a consistent naming hierarchy among its products, expect with the iPhone.  
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    NY1822 said:

Except this time Apple seems to be taking its cues from Android land. Xs Max sounds like some Droid phone Verizon would sell.
    Xs MAXX !! It’s needs the double X for that Android feel. Hahaha I love Apple but damn these names are silly. 
    ronn