Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

Comments

• Reply 121 of 160
    claire1 said:
    claire1 said:
    Whats interesting is the Apple website is mentioning "new FaceID" that is "faster" for the iPhone XR.

I was hoping for a far more accurate FaceID with twice as many dots projecting. But a faster FaceID is a big deal and I had a feeling it would be faster but wasn't mentioned.

Phil mentioned it. They’re also using new sensors, so there may be other factors going into the improvements there. No mention of number of dots but is that relevant if it’s faster?
    Ah so is it FaceID 2.0? I was waiting for him to mention it and must have missed it. More dots theoretically would make it more accurate. I was hoping they could reduce the siblings/twins problem.
    So it's faster. This is a big deal. The iPhone XS is so damn fast!
    I don't think the hardware in the True Depth array is much changed; they still say "over 30,000 dots" and not much else in the marketing materials make it sound like the hardware is much different, so guessing it's similar to last year's. I think it's more in the software and faster processing by the A12.

From apple.com:
    "Unlock in an instant. The advanced Secure Enclave and new algorithms make Face ID even faster. So you’ll love it even more."
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 122 of 160
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,168member
    claire1 said:
    claire1 said:
    Whats interesting is the Apple website is mentioning "new FaceID" that is "faster" for the iPhone XR.

I was hoping for a far more accurate FaceID with twice as many dots projecting. But a faster FaceID is a big deal and I had a feeling it would be faster but wasn't mentioned.

Phil mentioned it. They’re also using new sensors, so there may be other factors going into the improvements there. No mention of number of dots but is that relevant if it’s faster?
    Ah so is it FaceID 2.0? I was waiting for him to mention it and must have missed it. More dots theoretically would make it more accurate. I was hoping they could reduce the siblings/twins problem.
    I don't think the hardware in the True Depth array is much changed; they still say "over 30,000 dots" and not much else in the marketing materials make it sound like the hardware is much different, so guessing it's similar to last year's. I think it's more in the software and faster processing by the A12.

From apple.com:
    "Unlock in an instant. The advanced Secure Enclave and new algorithms make Face ID even faster. So you’ll love it even more."
    That's how I understood it, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 123 of 160
    claire1 said:
    claire1 said:

From apple.com:
    He said on stage that their algorithms and the secure enclave got faster. I'd assume at least part of that is the code.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 124 of 160
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,313member
    YoRHa said:
    I guess no one gets to say, “Apple doesn’t care about Max” anymore. Still, it’d be nice if they actually released new computers. Or attempted to make iOS have feature parity with OS X.
    Apple released four new MacBook Pros on July 12th and iMacPro Retina 5K is just 9 months old.   It's not pizza.  iOS should not have feature parity with OS X (or vice-versa) because they accomplish different things for different types of devices with different user interaction.   
    Solifastasleepradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 125 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    Do you buy a new car every year?  Do you buy a new stereo or new TV every year?   Of course there aren't a massive amount of changes from the X - it was released just a year ago.   While Apple would be thrilled if you upgraded, they're not expecting you to upgrade.   Who upgrades every year?   I'm still using an iPhone 6.  I would upgrade if the phone companies were still subsidizing phones, but since they're not, I just might keep my 6 one more year.  I stopped at Apple today and had them install a new battery for $29.    When the new phones make it into the stores, I'll check them out.   If I can get a better deal on my phone service, maybe I'll upgrade.  
    Solianome
  • Reply 126 of 160
    claire1 said:

Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...

Are you kidding me? The camera was blowing everyone away and $1,000 is an absolute steal for a magazine quality photo camera and movie quality video camera. I will bet money small or even big studios will film movies on iPhone Xs!

No.  What these cameras can accomplish with the accompanying software is miraculous, but it's not even close to magazine quality or movie quality.   If the phones are still using the same size sensor as they've been using all along, it's 2.1% the size of a full-frame sensor.  It wasn't all that long ago that some of the more elite magazines wouldn't even accept photos from a full-frame camera - they wanted medium format.    So yes, image quality has come a long way, but it's not the same quality as shooting with a high end Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, etc.  It's just a lot more convenient.   
  • Reply 127 of 160
    zoetmb said:
    I stopped at Apple today and had them install a new battery for $29.    When the new phones make it into the stores, I'll check them out.   If I can get a better deal on my phone service, maybe I'll upgrade.  
    Public Service Anmouncement: For those keeping your device, giving/selling it to a family or friend, and possibly selling to an unknown party it may behoove you to get that $29 battery replacement this calendar year.
    edited September 12 dewmefastasleeptmayradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 128 of 160
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,821member
    Foe me, any of the phones will be a HUGE update as I'm using a 4 year old iPhone 6. It still works pretty good and is a bit faster with iOS12 Public beta on it. If you update every year expecting some huge change, you're just not going to get it. Even every other year these days being it's a maturing market. It's another reason why I go 4 years. This 4 year old iPhone 6, replaced my 4 year old iPhone 4. which into it's 4th year was pretty bad. It was just so ssslllooowww. Much better with this iPhone 6. All the extra power you don't think you'll really need, comes in handy as the phone ages and you upgrade iOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 129 of 160
    zoetmb said:
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    Do you buy a new car every year?  Do you buy a new stereo or new TV every year?   Of course there aren't a massive amount of changes from the X - it was released just a year ago.   While Apple would be thrilled if you upgraded, they're not expecting you to upgrade.   Who upgrades every year?   I'm still using an iPhone 6.  I would upgrade if the phone companies were still subsidizing phones, but since they're not, I just might keep my 6 one more year.  I stopped at Apple today and had them install a new battery for $29.    When the new phones make it into the stores, I'll check them out.   If I can get a better deal on my phone service, maybe I'll upgrade.  
    Carriers never subsidized phones, they just rolled the additional cost of your iPhone into 24 months of plan payments. Anyone who actually thought they were paying $300 for the newest iPhones was mistaken.

I switched to T-Mobile and pay 35% less than I did on AT&T. Did a down payment of about a third of my iPhone X price and am paying the rest off over 24 months of interest-free payments.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 130 of 160

zoetmb said:
    claire1 said:

Are you kidding me? The camera was blowing everyone away and $1,000 is an absolute steal for a magazine quality photo camera and movie quality video camera. I will bet money small or even big studios will film movies on iPhone Xs!

No.  What these cameras can accomplish with the accompanying software is miraculous, but it's not even close to magazine quality or movie quality.   If the phones are still using the same size sensor as they've been using all along, it's 2.1% the size of a full-frame sensor.  It wasn't all that long ago that some of the more elite magazines wouldn't even accept photos from a full-frame camera - they wanted medium format.    So yes, image quality has come a long way, but it's not the same quality as shooting with a high end Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, etc.  It's just a lot more convenient.   
    So, the Time magazine covers and Soderbergh's film shot with iPhone aren't "magazine quality or movie quality"?
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 131 of 160
    zoetmb said:
    Carriers never subsidized phones, they just rolled the additional cost of your iPhone into 24 months of plan payments. Anyone who actually thought they were paying $300 for the newest iPhones was mistaken.

I switched to T-Mobile and pay 35% less than I did on AT&T. Did a down payment of about a third of my iPhone X price and am paying the rest off over 24 months of interest-free payments.
    1) Giving you a lower cost product by rolling in the cost into the plan with a contract is the subsidization.

2) In the US I never saw a single carrier that would give you a cheaper plan if you cam in with a pre-purchase iPhone or after your contract ends.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 132 of 160
    dewmedewme Posts: 1,602member
    Soli said:
    zoetmb said:
    I stopped at Apple today and had them install a new battery for $29.    When the new phones make it into the stores, I'll check them out.   If I can get a better deal on my phone service, maybe I'll upgrade.  
    Public Service Anmouncement: For those keeping your device, giving/selling it to a family or friend, and possibly selling to an unknown party it may behoove you to get that $29 battery replacement this calabser year.
    Yes indeed. I was forced into this decision because my iPhone 6 Plus battery ballooned and popped the screen off. Fortunately, a trip to the Genius Bar and $29 later I had a brand new iPhone 6 Plus with a perfect battery.

I’m 90% sure I’ll be getting a new iPhone XS Max with 256 GB storage and handing off the fresh 6 Plus to a family member. The only reason I’m not 100% sure about the XS Max is because I normally max out the storage to delay obsolescence, which would lead me to the 512 GB model. But the $1450 price tag, before Apple Care and a case, is a rather daunting number to have rolled into a single handheld device. I have an iPad Pro with 256 GB and it still has 75 GB free after more than 2 years of use. The 256 GB option may actually be more than enough foe me. The biggest storage demands for me have been music and photos. However the combination of iCloud, Apple’s optimization models for music and photos, and having an unlimited data plan has significantly reduced the storage pressure on all of my always-connected iOS devices. As much as I’d like to delay obsolescence, paying an extra $200 for double the storage on the iPhone may no longer make sense. I could instead roll that $200 towards an Apple Watch 4 purchase. If I was a professional photographer or videographer the 512 GB iPhone XS Max may be a no brainer. But for me it kind of feels like overkill, even when amortized over the expected lifetime of the phone.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 133 of 160
    Soli said:
    zoetmb said:

1) Giving you a lower cost product by rolling in the cost into the plan with a contract is the subsidization.

2) In the US I never saw a single carrier that would give you a cheaper plan if you cam in with a pre-purchase iPhone or after your contract ends.
    It's not a "lower cost product" if you end up paying the same amount after two years, is what I meant. It's literally the same thing as buying one outright now as in my example with the downpayment plus 24 months of financing with T-Mobile.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 134 of 160

dewme said:
    Soli said:
    zoetmb said:
    Public Service Anmouncement: For those keeping your device, giving/selling it to a family or friend, and possibly selling to an unknown party it may behoove you to get that $29 battery replacement this calabser year.
    Yes indeed. I was forced into this decision because my iPhone 6 Plus battery ballooned and popped the screen off. Fortunately, a trip to the Genius Bar and $29 later I had a brand new iPhone 6 Plus with a perfect battery.

I’m 90% sure I’ll be getting a new iPhone XS Max with 256 GB storage and handing off the fresh 6 Plus to a family member. The only reason I’m not 100% sure about the XS Max is because I normally max out the storage to delay obsolescence, which would lead me to the 512 GB model. But the $1450 price tag, before Apple Care and a case, is a rather daunting number to have rolled into a single handheld device. I have an iPad Pro with 256 GB and it still has 75 GB free after more than 2 years of use. The 256 GB option may actually be more than enough foe me. The biggest storage demands for me have been music and photos. However the combination of iCloud, Apple’s optimization models for music and photos, and having an unlimited data plan has significantly reduced the storage pressure on all of my always-connected iOS devices. As much as I’d like to delay obsolescence, paying an extra $200 for double the storage on the iPhone may no longer make sense. I could instead roll that $200 towards an Apple Watch 4 purchase. If I was a professional photographer or videographer the 512 GB iPhone XS Max may be a no brainer. But for me it kind of feels like overkill, even when amortized over the expected lifetime of the phone.
    I have a 256GB X and it's only a third full. I don't use iCloud Photo Library so that would easily suck up another chunk if I had it enabled, but given the choice I would've just stuck with 128GB like I had with my 6 and would've been fine. 512 is most definitely overkill unless you shoot or store a lot of video, but it is nice it's available. Kinda like the terribly expensive 4TB option on the new MBP, most people won't need it but it sure is nice knowing it's available for those that do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 135 of 160
    I don’t like the name, Xs Max, but who cares, I’ll get it anyway. Time to upgrade my X  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 136 of 160
    zoetmb said:
    It is all about the value proposition, and it is a very individual choice.

Interesting you bring up the car analogy, as well as the stereo and TV. I had to pause and think about it a bit. I'm pretty sure I use my phone more than any of those things. I guess I need to get a life, sure, but those other things (car, tv, stereo) certainly aren't that either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 137 of 160
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 2,525moderator
    djsherly said:
    ElCapitan said:
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

Here the top model Xs Max will sell for the equivalent of about $2000. 
    The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    ElCapitan said:
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

Here the top model Xs Max will sell for the equivalent of about $2000. 
    The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    Because our exchange rate hit the shitter. At the same price point in the US, the new base phone is 150 dollarydoos more expensive than last years model (noting theyve kept the same price in USD) and it only goes up from there, obviously. 

Same with apple watch, its about 100 more expensive but i will probably spring for it because of the ECG feature. (Assuming its switched on in the firmware in Australia)

Edit: before anybody stands on my tits, the base phone difference is a little smaller than 150, maybe more like 100, perhaps less.

So you’re saying that had you bought last year’s X model a week ago, suddenly the exchange rate over the last week is making this year’s X model a hundred Australian dollars more expensive?  Not understanding your logic. All that’s really happened in a week is that the same phone with a fast processor and an S tagged onto its name is now for sale for the same price (whatever price that is in your country) as you would have paid a week ago for the now discontinued model.  

So maybe you’re really complaining about the exchange rate versus a year ago, which anyone could do at any moment while lamenting the relative increase in local price of any product.  You’ve just chosen this moment and this product to voice your disdain.  I get it. 
    edited September 13 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 138 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    The Xs Max costs similar to a 13" MacBook Pro. Could people really use Xs Max like a 13" MacBook Pro?
    Can you fit a 13” MacBook Pro in your pocket?  Could people really use a 13” MacBook Pro like a Xs Max?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 139 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    The Xs Max costs similar to a 13" MacBook Pro. Could people really use Xs Max like a 13" MacBook Pro?

Since when are costs determined like that?
    Because PC sales have dropped for years since the debut of iPhone.  Do you understand the reason? 
    Cost per capability and unit of performance is what you want to see drop year after year.  And that’s certainly been the case with iPhones, even as prices have risen.  You do get that, right?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 140 of 160
    Does anyone know which new phone camera has the capability of controlling depth of field after you shoot? Will it be tied up to a specific hardware (for example if it required A12 Bionic Neural Engine to process) or it's only a software control?
    watto_cobra