iPhone XR hands-on: New model called 'fascinating,' 'a super-strange phone'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    I must be getting old. These phone look wonderful expect for the price. I am still using my 6S. I am not sure when I will upgrade to the 8S. The cost needs to come down.
    I am a long time customer for Apple. All the way back to the Apple II.
    8s has gone down in price, hasn't it, since the iPhone XS and XR were announced this morning? 
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Can anyone tell me how the XR camera would be in comparison to the 8 plus? On paper XR looks inferior. 1. Dual camera vs single lens. 2. 2X zoom on 8 plus X zoom on XR. Anything I'm missing here?
    Much smarter image processing on-device. That's the difference.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 60
    If I upgrade this year, it will be iPhone XR. The most important things about the phone is not the screen but the camera. The camera in the XR is a huge improvement over the previous generations. The screen is small enough that lower resolution will not be noticeable. The pictures of that quality and resolution should be viewed on large high-definition screens, like large 4K TVs. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 60
    chasm said:
    Can anyone tell me how the XR camera would be in comparison to the 8 plus? On paper XR looks inferior. 1. Dual camera vs single lens. 2. 2X zoom on 8 plus X zoom on XR. Anything I'm missing here?
    We'll have to wait for in-depth testing, but while the single-lens of the Xr has picked up some impressive tricks, it's extremely unlikely that it won't be found lacking compared to the cameras, plural, on the Xs. Judging only from photos seen during the event, though, I think most people will be very satisfied with the quality of the images they get from the Xr, and frankly I find it to be the best value of the phones introduced today. It's 90 percent of an iPhone X (and larger!) basically.
    I’m comparing with 8 plus. I own a 8+ and on Apple upgrade program. Wondering if it makes sense to switch from 8+ to XR. For me Camera is the most important feature, so I don’t want to upgrade to a phone with a downgraded camera.
    If the camera is the most important feature for you I'd suggest to stick with iPhone 8 Plus for a while and upgrade to XS Max when you can. As an iPhone 8 Plus owner I feel that I can't do with a smaller phone and I envy for a full display version of mine, which is the Xs Max.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 60
    For the iPhone XR, Canada gets strapped with a $279 exchange premium. Starts at $1029 for the 64GB model. I had to laugh at the price for the iPhone XS Max 512GB model here: $1999. All very nice phones, but we shall see how they do here, where the newest “entry level” device is over $1000. That was iPhone 8 Plus pricing a year ago, but it seems like iPhone XR is the direct successor to that model. Sounded like it from the comparisons anyway. I guess I’m kinda skewed by the extremely cheap customer base around the place I work at. We sold more iPhone 6 devices than iPhone X 😂
  • Reply 26 of 60
    M68000 said:
    If i missed this please correct me - but what does the "R" in the name of the phone mean?   Please no jokes, really wondering if this has been announced during the keynote or some other official way from Apple.
    Still Retina!
  • Reply 27 of 60
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
      No one knows for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has that in the works for next year.  Something along the lines of 5.4".
    Quite possibly. Someone said they wouldn't announce it this year because it could canibalize higher priced iPhones.

You are not wrong. Indeed XR is a new premium model with better performance than Xs: price-wise...

Old ladies will say “I don’t need two cameras, one camera is adequate for me” and that is exactly what Apple wanted ;-)

Why would Apple want less money? XR is gonna canibalize the heck outta XS. Size is a big deal, so I don't see Max being affected as much.

claire1 said:
    Apparently the android slaves are singing like a choir. A song that says "Those XR bezels are HUGE!!"

Is there any specifications showing they're any bigger than iPhone X? They look tiny.

claire1 said:
    Why is that Nilay clown getting any spotlight?

I must be getting old. These phone look wonderful expect for the price. I am still using my 6S. I am not sure when I will upgrade to the 8S. The cost needs to come down.
    I am a long time customer for Apple. All the way back to the Apple II.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple didn't make the LCD version smaller. This would have made it cheaper and easier to differentiate.
    I can easily see old ladies buying the R just because it's cheaper without knowing why. Wouldn't be surprised if R outsold XS.
    Except Apple is keeping around the 7 and 8 to fill lower price points. If they made the XR cheaper the gap between it and the XS would be to big.

I prefer a SE sized iPhone X and removing the 7 and 8. They removed a newer iPhone after all but kept the old school ones. Weird. Why not go all "bezel-less"?

I'd prefer a line up close to this:

SE Sized iPhone X R: $649

iPhone Xs: $999

iPhone Xs Max: $1099

P.S. The XR was so confusing. For a moment I thought it was a new premium model with better performance than Xs. You really have to dig into the details to know the difference. Like I said a lot of people will think its similar enough and spend less money for their favorite color, where as the size would have been an in-your-face differentiator. 
    Too much of a gap between the XR and XS there. Also wasn’t the SE starting at $349? That would be a big price increase. Bottom line is Apple doesn’t look at all interested in creating a new iPhone at the low end. They’ve decided the low end will be served by older models at reduced prices.

Ummm Yeah, 5C and 5s had a huge gap too(same with SE). Whats the problem here? You even agreed higher priced iPhones are what Apple is leaning towards so $650 is ideal.

Size is the biggest deciding factor but when you release 2 same sized iPhones its confusing. I believe this is the first time Apple has released 2 same sized models at once.
    backstabwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 60
    The thing not being said about the iPhone Xr is that its a solution to a problem in that Apple still doesn't have a second source for the iPhone X/Xs OLED screen.  Samsung is the only company who can build it and they are exacting a huge pound of flesh out of their biggest smartphone rival for it.  Apple is trying to get LG to be able to build this screen.  LG is the leader in OLED televisions but haven't been able to yet build a OLED iPhone screen at the numbers Apple needs....at least for this product cycle.  Paying for putting an A12 Bionic in the Xr isn't nearly as big a cost differential versus that OLED screen versus a conventional LCD.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Awww! No decent orange version. Not an insta-buy for me them.
    ill stick with my iPhone 6 with a cracked screen and possibly pick up a series 4 watch and use it mainly for Apple Pay.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    I am sure he’s a good, competent person and all that... 
    Well, you're wrong.
    claire1SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    M68000 said:
    If i missed this please correct me - but what does the "R" in the name of the phone mean?   Please no jokes, really wondering if this has been announced during the keynote or some other official way from Apple.
    I associate the "R" with Retina (2x?) and the "S" with Super Retina (3x).
    But don't they use the word "retina" in all of their phones these days??  I thought "S" referred to Special - as in Special edition during the "S" years of the phones
  • Reply 32 of 60
    claire1 said:
    You are not wrong. Indeed XR is a new premium model with better performance than Xs: price-wise...

Old ladies will say “I don’t need two cameras, one camera is adequate for me” and that is exactly what Apple wanted ;-)

Why would Apple want less money? XR is gonna canibalize the heck outta XS. Size is a big deal, so I don't see Max being affected as much.
    Totally agree and maybe this is how Apple set that up. XR doesn't mean less money for Apple, this is not a $350 device. Its feature list and pricing shows that it is still a premium phone. Apple has stacked up a lot of premium features into these new models and given the new worldwide economic landscape only a company of Apple's scale could succeed with that. Take the SE form factor for example: Apple may have abandoned that form factor because of battery constraints. Maybe a SE size battery can't feed the A12? Instead of shrinking down the X by removing many features that wouldn't fit, Apple has opted to popularize the Plus form factor by stuffing into it as many features as it can hold and this is the Apple way.

...Just because they can...
    fastasleepradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    claire1 said:
    Yeah but the XR starts at what, $50 higher than the 8 did? So ignoring the 7/8 lines, all the new phones start at a higher baseline and with the top tier XS Max going up as high as it does in 512GB, all of this will drive up the overall ASP.

claire1 said:
    Size is the biggest deciding factor but when you release 2 same sized iPhones its confusing. I believe this is the first time Apple has released 2 same sized models at once.
    2 same sized models? They're different: 5.8", 6.1", 6.5".

I do find it a bit odd that the XR is in the middle of those sizes, and wonder if there were technical reasons the LCD screen couldn't be say the same size as the 5.8" XS or even slightly smaller to appease the smaller phone crowd and so the lineup was a bit clearer in the good/better/best sense, but I'm not sure any of this is really a problem for Apple. Or as Tim would say, "A nice problem to have."

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 60
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    But don't they use the word "retina" in all of their phones these days??  I thought "S" referred to Special - as in Special edition during the "S" years of the phones
    The only "Special" was the iPhone SE which was Special Edition. The S otherwise was never clearly defined. People speculated 3GS was for Speed, the 4S was for Siri, so forth, but none of this was reflected in the marketing. I don't believe 5c was ever clearly defined either, just guesses as to "Color" or "plastiC" :)

It's definitely not "Retina".
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 60
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:
    Yeah but the XR starts at what, $50 higher than the 8 did? So ignoring the 7/8 lines, all the new phones start at a higher baseline and with the top tier XS Max going up as high as it does in 512GB, all of this will drive up the overall ASP.

claire1 said:
    2 same sized models? They're different: 5.8", 6.1", 6.5".

I do find it a bit odd that the XR is in the middle of those sizes, and wonder if there were technical reasons the LCD screen couldn't be say the same size as the 5.8" XS or even slightly smaller to appease the smaller phone crowd and so the lineup was a bit clearer in the good/better/best sense, but I'm not sure any of this is really a problem for Apple. Or as Tim would say, "A nice problem to have."

Yeah thats what I meant. They're not gonna look different when the average consumer walks into the door. 
  • Reply 36 of 60
    I am sure he’s a good, competent person and all that, but I am not convinced that Mr. Patel should appear on videos. 
    He's an idiot imo. I rather listen to Brian Tong who never takes himself seriously than this clown.
    claire1SpamSandwichStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 60
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    The only "Special" was the iPhone SE which was Special Edition. The S otherwise was never clearly defined. People speculated 3GS was for Speed, the 4S was for Siri, so forth, but none of this was reflected in the marketing. I don't believe 5c was ever clearly defined either, just guesses as to "Color" or "plastiC" :)

iPhone X S

Super Retina display in two sizes. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough dual‑camera system with Depth Control.

iPhone X R

All-new Liquid Retina display. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough camera system with Depth Control.

Retina is still a keyword in Apple's marketing parleance.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60
    I can’t see why someone would buy this instead of spending a couple more hundred dollars for the oled iPhone Xs. They really have this priced way too high for an lcd phone. 
  • Reply 39 of 60
    chasm said:
    We'll have to wait for in-depth testing, but while the single-lens of the Xr has picked up some impressive tricks, it's extremely unlikely that it won't be found lacking compared to the cameras, plural, on the Xs. Judging only from photos seen during the event, though, I think most people will be very satisfied with the quality of the images they get from the Xr, and frankly I find it to be the best value of the phones introduced today. It's 90 percent of an iPhone X (and larger!) basically.
    But so expensive! Might as well get the XS if you’re going to spend that kind of money!
  • Reply 40 of 60
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

iPhone X S

Super Retina display in two sizes. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough dual‑camera system with Depth Control.

iPhone X R

All-new Liquid Retina display. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough camera system with Depth Control.

Retina is still a keyword in Apple's marketing parleance.
    Yeah but "Liquid Retina"? So why not XL... oh right extra large. I dunno, it loosely fits I guess. 

I just meant in the past the only thing that had "Retina" in the product name was when they were differentiating MacBook Pro with Retina Display from the MacBook Pro without it. 
    watto_cobra