Woman in Apple Park 'Mission: Impossible' video took the long way around

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
The woman who brought a clicker to CEO Tim Cook in the intro video for the Sept. 12 iPhone event took an especially long detour through Apple Park, according to a designer with the company.

Sept. 12 intro video

Despite starting near the south entrance of the main ring -- a relatively short distance from the Steve Jobs Theater -- the woman instead appears to have gone northwest, Edward Sanchez noted on Twitter. Even after running across a pond in the right direction, she needlessly veered off again through Caffe Macs before getting on the right track.

"She must be new at Apple Park -- I probably took similar routes in my first week here," Sanchez commented.

Sept. 12 intro video

The detour was likely meant to show off Apple Park, which was still unfinished at last year's iPhone event and only became the company's official corporate address this February. The complex was in development for several years, and in fact some of its design concepts stem from former CEO Steve Jobs.

This is about the route that girl took on the intro video. She must be new at Apple Park - I probably took similar routes in my first week here. pic.twitter.com/6xxxMOGbmF

-- Edward Sanchez (@edwardsanchez)

The facility should be able to handle some 12,000 workers, and has a number of unusual features such as enormous panes of curved glass, widespread rooftop solar panels, and floor-to-ceiling motorized doors in front of the cafeteria. The Steve Jobs Theater is actually built underground, reachable via a staircase and a corkscrew elevator seen in yesterday's video.

Apple used the event to reveal the iPhone XS and XS Max, as well as the iPhone XR and the Apple Watch Series 4. The intro video explains a since-deleted Twitter post by Cook, captured below, which was originally interpreted as a misreply to a direct message.

Cook's fake tweet

At least she ran the whole way, like Tom Cruise does.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    "The detour was likely meant to show off Apple Park...." 

You think?
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderchristopher126claire1entropysjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Too many senseless critics; that was a absolutely great way to open the show: “the clicker!”
    GeorgeBMacWhiskeyAPPLEciderStrangeDaysjdgazchristopher126mike1claire1flashfan207lolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Yeh, she was good.  Pretty fast.   But I think "Blue Dress" could take her!

StrangeDaysmaestro64
  • Reply 4 of 28
    lovemn said:
    Too many senseless critics; that was a absolutely great way to open the show: “the clicker!”
    Yes!  I totally agree!
    The tribute to Steve last year cannot ever be touched, but this was a great #2 and a nice compliment to it.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderlovemnkidrock2199mike1lolliverjony0watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 28
    I didn't look close enough. Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") isn't a Apple employee familiar with the place? And this explains why she needed help with her badge? Was that an employee badge? The pause to ask Siri for direction was painfully accurate: she asks, theres a longish pause, and Siri then gives an unhelpful response she ignores. Rings (!) familiar.

I thought the bit was funny. And the tweet now makes it even funnier. 
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Edward must be really fun at the movies: "Well, ACTUALLY, that route would go over the Waterloo Bridge and then it would be five minutes down the A3200 before you get anywhere near the Shard"
    claire1lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 28
    The video did make the point that she was not following Siri's directions. That's too bad as instant directions are probably the most useful feature of Siri.
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 28
    “This proves Apple abuses their employees!”

”Sexist!”

”Ageist!”

/s
    edited September 2018 jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 28
    eightzero said:
    I didn't look close enough. Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") 
    In english for whatever reason young men and women are often referred to as boy or girl (“She’s seeing some new boy now”). Even adults in other circumstances — what are men and women called while dating? Boyfriends and girlfriends, despite not being boys or girls or even remotely young. 
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMacmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    How long until this guy is fired?
    claire1
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Who really gives a shit....I thought this was a great opening to the Keynote. My god, some people have way too much time in their hands to think of this crap.
    GeorgeBMaclolliverjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    macxpress said:
    Who really gives a shit....I thought this was a great opening to the Keynote. My god, some people have way too much time in their hands to think of this crap.
    Just bitter old men looking for something to complain about or criticize.   Such sad wastes of life.
    mike1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    I laughed. I will bet a lot of folks laughed. I needed a laugh. Oh, and it was kind of fun to see a bit of the apple campus.
    GeorgeBMacflashfan207lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    larryjw said:
    "The detour was likely meant to show off Apple Park...." 

You think?
    Maybe they haven’t updated Apple Maps yet? :wink: 

StrangeDays said: eightzero said: I didn't look close enough. Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") In english for whatever reason young men and women are often referred to as boy or girl (“She’s seeing some new boy now”). Even adults in other circumstances — what are men and women called while dating? Boyfriends and girlfriends, despite not being boys or girls or even remotely young. 
    For whatever reason, you can use ‘guy’ as a generic male pronoun, but ‘gal’ isn’t nearly as common or universal a term for females. I think people are reading way too much into it. 
    christopher126mike1
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I thought it was very well done...I did notice the Siri bit and I liked how Tim was staring at a bunch of shirts that were all the same muted color blue! That was self-deprecating on Tim's part. :)

The young lady was great! 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    eightzero said:
    Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") 
    It's the last of American sexism. If this had been a male courier the person probably would have said the "man", not the "boy". He might have said "guy" which is universal accepted, and has become mostly genre neutral -- "hey guys" to a mixed sex group, or even only of women. But "girl" persists as the primary way to describe a woman in casual conversation, and it implies images of Barbie dolls, Miss America, and at the extreme end, powerless, weak individuals who have not yet matured into adulthood. And that is the danger of applying it universally to all women of any age as is the common practice to this day. If you call a man a "boy" in most the US, it will likely be interpreted as an insult, as I suspect it would be in most languages. Somehow, mainly men, do not see any issue with this practice, and perpetuate it on a daily basis. 
    eightzerololliver
  • Reply 17 of 28
    I think Edward is wrong. The movie clearly starts out looking South at Entrance 8. The road is Homestead with the mountains to the South. She goes down Entrance 8 but somehow comes out Entrance 7. She crosses the fountain, but then clearly heads the wrong direction through Café Macs. Her path isn't quite as bad.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 18 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Oh, please! It was a humorous video. End of story.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    It's the last of American sexism. If this had been a male courier the person probably would have said the "man", not the "boy". He might have said "guy" which is universal accepted, and has become mostly genre neutral -- "hey guys" to a mixed sex group, or even only of women. But "girl" persists as the primary way to describe a woman in casual conversation, and it implies images of Barbie dolls, Miss America, and at the extreme end, powerless, weak individuals who have not yet matured into adulthood. And that is the danger of applying it universally to all women of any age as is the common practice to this day. If you call a man a "boy" in most the US, it will likely be interpreted as an insult, as I suspect it would be in most languages. Somehow, mainly men, do not see any issue with this practice, and perpetuate it on a daily basis. 
    Use of the word 'girls' does not necessarily imply weak females. It's all in the context. Ask a bunch of women/ladies/girls/gals what they say when they're going out together and they will call it 'Girls' Night'. Those looking for reasons to be offended will usually find one.
    SpamSandwichGeorgeBMacflashfan207StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 28
    mike1 said:
    mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    Use of the word 'girls' does not necessarily imply weak females. It's all in the context. Ask a bunch of women/ladies/girls/gals what they say when they're going out together and they will call it 'Girls' Night'. Those looking for reasons to be offended will usually find one.
    More whataboutism. So tired of this. Maybe pay attention to context, and show some respect for the recipient of the message.(edit: Notice how AI does a nice job of this in the article by using the term "woman.")

And while we're on the subject, and at the risk of the a rebuke from the mods, I specifically noticed during Phil's excellent presentation about the camera tech, he was showing many photographs of portraits of people. beautiful pictures, really well done. The subjects of the portraits were impressively diverse. Apple does a good job of this, and are conscious of it.  But I did notice, that Phil most often commented on the "beautiful skin tones" when showing a white subject. 

edited September 2018 lolliver