If you have an iPhone X, should you upgrade to the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    I won't be upgrading it from my iPhone X for the next, at least 4-5 years. Upgraded to X from 5, because my usage is not that much. Would rather add that money (which means peanuts) to new Mac Pro and Mac mini (for music server) that I am eagerly waiting for. Or even spend that money on ever growing music library. :) Yes if Apple comes up with better upgrade offer like about $100-150 max loss if upgrading from X then I can change mind. My iPhone X battery still stands at 103% (after almost one year) and overall in absolutely new condition. And I would go with jet black option way quicker than gold version any day. So no way for me.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 62 of 76
    j238 said:
    Anyone who bought a new iPhone last year spent plenty on it. Get your money's worth and get at least another year out of it! I'm two and a half years into my SE and I'm hoping to get at least fiive years out of it. $100 for each year of use.
    I wish I could live like you! I stretch all of my other Apple products 3-4 years, but I'd be miserable with an iPhone that old.Too many major iPhone advancements are made within 5 years. I'm still happy with my 2015 MacBook Pro, but the similarly-aged iPhone 5 that I let my daughter have is sluggish and out of storage. I also kept my series 0 Watch until the 3 came out, and it cleared up all of the frustrations that I'd been having with the almost useless original. Yes, you can save a ton of money by not upgrading so frequently, but sometimes the upgrades are just worth it. 
    Bwlmogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Bwlmog said:
    As a matter of interest what case is everyone looking to get for the Max. The choices in the UK are extremely limited at the moment. I need something with protection such as the UAG particularly considering the glass construct and the cost of repairs. Would be interested to hear and thanks in advance.
    I’m usually a “naturalist” and don’t use a case, especially on the plus models because it adds more bulk to an already large device.  However, when I do use a case, I’m a “minimalist” and I’ve placed an order with Totallee for one of their frosted clear cases. It’s nice and thin!
    How do you like the Totalee cases? I usually go with the Apple silicone cases but think I want to go as minimal as possible with my new XS Max. Any idea how Totalee cases compare to Peel cases? I know both are supposed to be among this thinnest available. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 76
    fallenjt said:
    I think many people will upgrade from iPhone X to iPhone XS Max. I think Apple thought about this last year. They introduced iPhone X with one size screen and two color options only, their plan was this all along. It is a brilliant marketing strategy I think. Speedwise there is not much of a difference. Also technology wise there seems not much of a difference either. Apple just intentionally keep the price bar high, it is just too expensive but it is business, they will (they should) sell tons of iPhones. iPhone 7 is still a great phone, refurbished one is less than 400 dollars, if people have budget problem they can go with iPhone 7 and 7 plus. Brilliant marketing Apple.
    No they won’t. X owners are those who used to own regular iPhones, not Plus version. 
    Most people I know who have the X were Plus users, myself included. Most (if not all) of us will be upgrading to the XS Max at some point. 
    appleismymiddlenameBwlmogsupadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 76
    supadav03 said:
    Bwlmog said:
    As a matter of interest what case is everyone looking to get for the Max. The choices in the UK are extremely limited at the moment. I need something with protection such as the UAG particularly considering the glass construct and the cost of repairs. Would be interested to hear and thanks in advance.
    I’m usually a “naturalist” and don’t use a case, especially on the plus models because it adds more bulk to an already large device.  However, when I do use a case, I’m a “minimalist” and I’ve placed an order with Totallee for one of their frosted clear cases. It’s nice and thin!
    How do you like the Totalee cases? I usually go with the Apple silicone cases but think I want to go as minimal as possible with my new XS Max. Any idea how Totalee cases compare to Peel cases? I know both are supposed to be among this thinnest available. 
    This will be my first time getting a Totallee case. I have used the Spigen Air Skin in the past which is similar and really liked it! It’s super thin and protects from scratches and dings. I’m only trying Totallee over Spigen this time because they have them in stock now and I’m going on a trip the evening that the XS Max arrives. :blush: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Bwlmog said:
    Currently own an iPhone X (ordered the Xs Max) and I use the Zagg Glass+ 360 for protection on the front and back glass and Utomic Edges for extra protection (I don’t use the silly bumper that comes with the Glass+ 360).

I’ve already ordered the Zagg Glass+ 360 and new Edges for the Xs Max. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 76
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    ZSAY said:
    I have an X with 256GB and pre-ordered the XS 512GB only because of the increase in capacity. If they would not of offered the 512GB no way would I of upgraded I but I’m forced to due to almost reaching 256GB.
    Yeah.  It doesn't make sense to upgrade X to Xs if getting the same capacity.  Except for the speed, there is really no difference.  In my case, I'll upgrade to the Xs Max from X.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 76
    If there was no Xs Max, I won't be upgrading from the X.  I am going back to the "Plus"-size iPhone.
    appleismymiddlenamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Am disappointed to find out the only option for Stainless Steel Case is with a Milanese band.  There is no option to select the Stainless Steel case with a sports band.  Ugh!
  • Reply 70 of 76
    I have a 256GB X and have ordered a 512GB XS MAX.  Not because I need to but can. Mates in the office in Canary Wharf will be well jealous as they couldn't get orders in on time!

edited September 2018 unbeliever2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm on the iPhone upgrade programme, but I think I'll sit this year out.  Don't see much reason to want to XS over the X that holds much appeal to me, and if I keep paying for the X another year I can gift it to someone else instead of sending it back to Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 72 of 76
    urahara said:
    It always has been so: if you own an iPhone from the last year, and this year comes an “S” model, it is not that much of a difference. 
    Not so. Most of the S years have had considerable improvements, featurewise and specs.

The 6S was the biggest upgrade ever.

- They doubled RAM to 2GB (which makes a huge difference).
    - The A9 had a much bigger jump in performance from the A8 than the A8 did from the A7.
    - They introduced Retina Flash.
    - They introduced NVMe storage.
    - They introduced 3D Touch.

It’s one of the most future-proof iPhones ever released. 
    Yeah, I think this may be the year I upgrade from the 6+ to the 6s+. 

The 6+ is still a good phone, but I've got friends who need newer/bigger phones, and I'd like a bit more speed, but Apple stupidly removed the headphone jack from the 7+, so I don't really want one.  And I definitely don't want the idiotic Face ID, I like the home button.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    I’m sure Apple is not interested in motivating iPhone X upgrades this year. Not even remotely. 

Apple is interested in motivating upgrades from the many iPhone 6, 7, and 8 out there who have a decidedly old-looking device now, by comparison to what’s available. There are now 3 modern models with 3 different price points for that crowd to consider. 

iPhone X to Xs is least significant annual update ever in the history of iPhone...but for good reason. This year isn’t about that. It’s about introducing the XR and the XS Max alongside the XS as a compelling line of flagship phones. 

I only wish the the prices were $699, $899, and $999 respectively...and they were probably supposed to be. But this is Apple’s pathetic way of coping with anticipated effects from tariffs.
    Bwlmog
  • Reply 74 of 76
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    supadav03 said:
    Bwlmog said:
    I use a case from UAG on my 8+ and love it.  Adds very little bulk to the phone.  Add you favorite screen protector as well.

Just for reference, this is what I am using...  https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/monarch-cases-for-iphone-8-plus?variant=12067020701764

They are already showing cases for the new phones as well.  It looks good and is "minimalist" using the current buzzword of the day. 
    edited September 2018 Bwlmogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 76
    this is why they stopped selling the X, because it isn't that much better than teh XS and if they dropped the X by $200 it would be what everyone chose.  
  • Reply 76 of 76
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    icoco3 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Bwlmog said:
    I use a case from UAG on my 8+ and love it.  Adds very little bulk to the phone.  Add you favorite screen protector as well.

Just for reference, this is what I am using...  https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/monarch-cases-for-iphone-8-plus?variant=12067020701764

They are already showing cases for the new phones as well.  It looks good and is "minimalist" using the current buzzword of the day. 
    Thanks I’m looking at UAG but there aren’t any Max cases released in the UK yet. Currently showing as “coming soon”. I’m drawn between the Monarch and the Pathfinder need something with good protection but relatively thin