Apple responds to viral tweet over disappearing iTunes movies

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Just download the movie and store it on some offline storage. Storage is cheap, download is expensive. On the Mac right click on the movie and choose “Show in Finder” in iTunes (on Windows I remember that as “Show in Windows Explorer”)... From the storage media copy it to your iPhone or iPad by drag & drop in iTunes, no need to download again...
    that only works if you find a way to strip the DRM or if iTunes can validate said DRM. in this case it seems the guy bought from the store in X country and then changed his store to Y country which didn't have the rights to that movie or at least that version. so iTunes goes to validate the DRM and it's not in the active store so 'error' and the file won't play. but instead of having read the terms and realized that changing stores can cause issues, he publicly accused Apple of removing his movie. and then dissed apple for giving him free rentals he didn't really deserve
  • Reply 42 of 52
    If you buy a DVD in another region like Asia it is unplayable on North American DVD players, this is nothing new.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    SnowSnow Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    You say Apple has never removed access to content but several of my movies (purchased in the days before Android) vanished from my account for years until I joined Movies Anywhere. Then they mysteriously showed up again.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Soli said:
    davgreg said:
    Having a physical copy of the file does not mean you can play them. 
    What a load of BS. If "Tim" wanted you to rent everything they'd have nothing but rentals.
    It is not BS.
    I guess that's why we never see ads for iTunes- just Apple Music, right? I guess that why every time I launch Apple Music it defaults to a screen pushing Apple (rental) Music.
    Apple is hoping iTunes withers and dies off. Bet you a Dollar the new movie and TV content Apple is producing is subscription only- not available to buy.

I have also mostly stopped buying movies from Apple. You can buy a physical Dvd and get a digital file for free, but you still have the physical disc. You can also rip the BluRay or DVD to archive free of Apple's DRM.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

Rayz2016 said:
    davgreg said:
    Having a physical copy of the file does not mean you can play them. Apple has DRM embedded in its supposedly DRM free audio files 

Unlikely.

I did not say it was active on all files, just that it is embedded. Apparently from time to time files get served that have it turned on.
    m4a files from Apple are supposed to be DRM free, unlike the m4p files, yet I have had a number over time that flagged that they were not authorized to be played despite being iTunes purchased and downloaded files.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    davgreg said:
    Soli said:
    davgreg said:
    Having a physical copy of the file does not mean you can play them. 
    What a load of BS. If "Tim" wanted you to rent everything they'd have nothing but rentals.
    It is not BS.
    I guess that's why we never see ads for iTunes- just Apple Music, right? I guess that why every time I launch Apple Music it defaults to a screen pushing Apple (rental) Music.
    Apple is hoping iTunes withers and dies off. Bet you a Dollar the new movie and TV content Apple is producing is subscription only- not available to buy.

I have also mostly stopped buying movies from Apple. You can buy a physical Dvd and get a digital file for free, but you still have the physical disc. You can also rip the BluRay or DVD to archive free of Apple's DRM.
    Or, just backup your shit like a responsible adult and stop blaming your lack of basic planning on everyone else.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 47 of 52
    davgreg said:
    I did not say it was active on all files, just that it is embedded. Apparently from time to time files get served that have it turned on.
    m4a files from Apple are supposed to be DRM free, unlike the m4p files, yet I have had a number over time that flagged that they were not authorized to be played despite being iTunes purchased and downloaded files.
    I've never heard of that happening since they will play on any device and app that supports AAC, but your email address for your ITS account is embedded in the metadata so I can't rule it out at this time. If you're concerned you can alway re-encode the files or strip the specific metadata through a variety of apps.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I'm unclear on a couple of concepts.

If I buy an iTunes movie and download it to my hard drive, is Apple actually capable of deleting my access to that movie?

I understand that not having actually downloaded it means when Apple's license to distribute it expires, I can't access it.

But plucking it my hard drive. I don't buy that. NPI

Is somebody claiming that if I buy a video from iTunes and download it to my computer hard drive, that I will not be able to play it if I move to another region?

If I buy a Region one disc and move to Region Somewhere else, does my Region 1 player stop playing my Region 1 disc?

Outside of here, I've never heard anything like the above. Amazon does warn you that unless you download your purchased videos, you could lose access just as with Apple videos. But they say if you download them, you're golden. I don't see why that would be any different with Apple.

• Reply 49 of 52
    macgui said:
    I'm unclear on a couple of concepts.

If I buy an iTunes movie and download it to my hard drive, is Apple actually capable of deleting my access to that movie?

I understand that not having actually downloaded it means when Apple's license to distribute it expires, I can't access it.

But plucking it my hard drive. I don't buy that. NPI

Is somebody claiming that if I buy a video from iTunes and download it to my computer hard drive, that I will not be able to play it if I move to another region?

If I buy a Region one disc and move to Region Somewhere else, does my Region 1 player stop playing my Region 1 disc?

Outside of here, I've never heard anything like the above. Amazon does warn you that unless you download your purchased videos, you could lose access just as with Apple videos. But they say if you download them, you're golden. I don't see why that would be any different with Apple.
    I believe Apple states in their comment that if you have a copy you'll be able to play it (which I think means also being logged into your Videos app or iTunes as these become registered devices for playing back DRM'd connect linked to your account).
  • Reply 50 of 52
    m4a files from Apple are supposed to be DRM free, unlike the m4p files

That's not strictly correct. Apple started offering m4a files (AAC) in 2003, with DRM activated. As of 2009, Apple began selling DRM-free music.

So all music files from that point on are supposed to be DRM-free. That you've apparently purchase any music file after 2009 with DRM sounds like something you should take up with Apple.

I still don't buy the allegation that video or music downloading and not streamed to your hard drive is not yours to keep. 

The 'you don't really own digital content' is in the same boat as OS X and macOS. Apple doesn't take it back when a hew OS is available. They DO stop signing OSs and cease to make them available when a new OS is out.

But even then, if you've downloaded a copy, you can still download another, for quite sometime. I don't know if there's a limit. And if a copy is already on your hard drive, you can copy, store, and install it  many times, with Apple's blessing. So I don't see them plucking it off your computer.

The Apple Music subscription service is a different matter. You're not buying the music. You're renting access to it. It's never you're to keep. Ergo, rental. There are supposedly hacks for those who believe rented media belongs to them. But it's still rental.

• Reply 51 of 52
    macgui said:
    m4a files from Apple are supposed to be DRM free, unlike the m4p files

That's not strictly correct. Apple started offering m4a files (AAC) in 2003, with DRM activated. As of 2009, Apple began selling DRM-free music.

So all music files from that point on are supposed to be DRM-free. That you've apparently purchase any music file after 2009 with DRM sounds like something you should take up with Apple.

I still don't buy the allegation that video or music downloading and not streamed to your hard drive is not yours to keep. 

The 'you don't really own digital content' is in the same boat as OS X and macOS. Apple doesn't take it back when a hew OS is available. They DO stop signing OSs and cease to make them available when a new OS is out.

But even then, if you've downloaded a copy, you can still download another, for quite sometime. I don't know if there's a limit. And if a copy is already on your hard drive, you can copy, store, and install it  many times, with Apple's blessing. So I don't see them plucking it off your computer.

The Apple Music subscription service is a different matter. You're not buying the music. You're renting access to it. It's never you're to keep. Ergo, rental. There are supposedly hacks for those who believe rented media belongs to them. But it's still rental.

Can’t you do a Playlist in iTunes that will let you chocolate files that only have DRM?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    From c|net:

Though his tweets went viral, and though he did chat with Apple Support, the company didn't delete or actively "remove" the movies that disappeared from Anders Gonçalves da Silva's iTunes library and his devices. It seems to have been a more complicated mix-up, based on the fact that da Silva moved his residence from one country to another. 
    Most importantly: Apple tells CNET that it won't delete yourmovies, either. At least, not ones you've downloaded.

Yes, his account was denied access to region sensitive content. That's not his hard drive. No drastic measures are needed to protect downloaded content from the Evil Tim Cook and Bad Apple.

Download purchased content. Done. But to protect any data considered important and/or critical, back it up. 

edit: I'll add that the Apple Rep did a poor job in explaining the situation. They failed (at least by what we see in the letter) to assure the guy that they didn't rip his purchases off his hard drive. Had she made that assurance, this tweet would have gone nowhere.

Them: If you had downloaded your purchases, they'd still be on your hard drive. We didn't and don't remove them.

Him: D'oh! I am so stupidstupidstupid!

Them: We so stipulate.

edited September 2018 Soli